Question in regards to lay offs.

mainer

Hi I am a part time local sort employee in Maine. I have been an employee for 14 years now. I have no plans on becoming a driver and love my job as it goes well with my other job. For the first time since I have been working at my center lay offs are happening with the drivers to the extent it is effecting our shift. They recently filled 7 new positions and worked the drivers thru peak now they are layed off and are taking all the local sort positions. These drivers all have less than 6 months seniority with the company. Some had 4 months as pre-loaders, then they drove for peak, some were hired on as drivers from the start. Now these essentially new hires are taking our hours as we've been told that with one day of full time seniority it trumps any amount of part time seniority. Is this true? Can someone who has been with the company for so little time take our hours even though we've been with the company for years, decades even lol. To make matters worse, two more bids are to be posted, which will in turn mean 2 more drivers taking our spots. The next two part timers to lose their hours have each been with the company for over 30 years. This just seems strange to me. I appreciate all of you time , thanks

Faceplanted

Full time seniority trumps part time seniority.

Maybe you should have considered leaving your other job years ago and becoming a driver..... but who wants to make 90-100k a year I guess.

PT Car Washer

Hi I am a part time local sort employee in Maine. I have been an employee for 14 years now. I have no plans on becoming a driver and love my job as it goes well with my other job. For the first time since I have been working at my center lay offs are happening with the drivers to the extent it is effecting our shift. They recently filled 7 new positions and worked the drivers thru peak now they are layed off and are taking all the local sort positions. These drivers all have less than 6 months seniority with the company. Some had 4 months as pre-loaders, then they drove for peak, some were hired on as drivers from the start. Now these essentially new hires are taking our hours as we've been told that with one day of full time seniority it trumps any amount of part time seniority. Is this true? Can someone who has been with the company for so little time take our hours even though we've been with the company for years, decades even lol. To make matters worse, two more bids are to be posted, which will in turn mean 2 more drivers taking our spots. The next two part timers to lose their hours have each been with the company for over 30 years. This just seems strange to me. I appreciate all of you time , thanks
In the Central Region supplement a FT employee can not bump a PT with more company seniority.

Nike

In my area if you're in a bid job, say customer counter or clerk you would be safe. If you're just a regular local sorter with no skills or specialty you could be in danger of getting bumped

mainer

Full time seniority trumps part time seniority.

Maybe you should have considered leaving your other job years ago and becoming a driver..... but who wants to make 90-100k a year I guess.

I appreciate your comment and I understand money is great but to me no amount of money is worth not being able to be in my daughters life as well as my family's life. I am in health care during the day which provides as much financial security and with that paired with my local sort hours I work a very easy schedule and will make plenty and be play an active role in their lives as well as enjoy the satisfaction that I will can receive helping people over come health problems. To me the satisfaction gained helping others regain mobility etc is priceless. Sure my combined income will only be in the 60k thru low 70k. That is plenty for this low maintenance person that is quite content with a modest lifestyle , smaller house, and smaller cars lol. I totally understand as a driver I would make more money but I would not be happy, but that's just me and I don't judge others that go that route and in fact I respect their hard working mentality as well as their will to make sacrifices to achieve that income. 90-100k at my center is definitely possible for those that work from 845 to 830 but its hard to squeeze in life with those hours

mainer

In my area if you're in a bid job, say customer counter or clerk you would be safe. If you're just a regular local sorter with no skills or specialty you could be in danger of getting bumped
Thanks for your info. At my center oddly enough a large portion of part timers have been with the company for years and are happy with that as they paired their UPS job for benefits with their personal business etc. I would say more part timers at my center have no plans to go driving for their own personal reasons. Thanks again to both of you for your reply's. Take care

UPS Preloader

Unfortunately, in Maine, a full timer who has attained seniority can bump a part timer regardless of their seniority. However, if your available, you can then bump a lower seniority part timer on the morning preload. You could also check with your business agent Brett M, as you might be able to bump a part time local sort from another building. (I know the building aren't close, so this probably isn't an option.) Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I appreciate your comment and I understand money is great but to me no amount of money is worth not being able to be in my daughters life as well as my family's life. I am in health care during the day which provides as much financial security and with that paired with my local sort hours I work a very easy schedule and will make plenty and be play an active role in their lives as well as enjoy the satisfaction that I will can receive helping people over come health problems. To me the satisfaction gained helping others regain mobility etc is priceless. Sure my combined income will only be in the 60k thru low 70k. That is plenty for this low maintenance person that is quite content with a modest lifestyle , smaller house, and smaller cars lol. I totally understand as a driver I would make more money but I would not be happy, but that's just me and I don't judge others that go that route and in fact I respect their hard working mentality as well as their will to make sacrifices to achieve that income. 90-100k at my center is definitely possible for those that work from 845 to 830 but its hard to squeeze in life with those hours
Hang in there. I'm sure it is slow right now. everyone always comes back in building when it gets slow.

Faceplanted

There a few guys I worked with when I was pt that did this. Between their commute to both jobs and the time imbetween working both jobs they worked more hours then drivers and also had a much worse retirement situation than a driver does

I can see where your coming from though when it comes to hard work, I can't when it comes to longer hours. Your situation is probably different that all the part time guys working other job iv seen.

mainer

Thanks for all the info I greatly appreciate it. I would consider bumping a preloader but unfortunately those hours would conflict with my day job. I am sure this will pass I guess I have been lucky as this is the first time I have ever experienced this. A question for you guys will we lose our health insurance? Or do we keep it by paying cobra? Rumor has it these lay offs may continue into summer but that may just be a rumor as we seem to be held in the dark lol

mainer

There a few guys I worked with when I was pt that did this. Between their commute to both jobs and the time imbetween working both jobs they worked more hours then drivers and also had a much worse retirement situation than a driver does

I can see where your coming from though when it comes to hard work, I can't when it comes to longer hours. Your situation is probably different that all the part time guys working other job iv seen.
I agree with 2 jobs as most part timers do end up working more I just happen to have a decent health care gig that works well my life and when I combo that with local sort I probably do work 50 hours but the hours fall in a better time frame for my family. Honestly one reason I stay at UPS other than pay and the fact I truly love the job and enjoy it is being able to have the option as my children are in High school and are doing their own thing I probably will sign a bid then. If not it certainly is a great option to have a available

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I agree with 2 jobs as most part timers do end up working more I just happen to have a decent health care gig that works well my life and when I combo that with local sort I probably do work 50 hours but the hours fall in a better time frame for my family. Honestly one reason I stay at UPS other than pay and the fact I truly love the job and enjoy it is being able to have the option as my children are in High school and are doing their own thing I probably will sign a bid then. If not it certainly is a great option to have a available
You could try and get unemployment to if they lay you off.

UPS Preloader

Thanks for all the info I greatly appreciate it. I would consider bumping a preloader but unfortunately those hours would conflict with my day job. I am sure this will pass I guess I have been lucky as this is the first time I have ever experienced this. A question for you guys will we lose our health insurance? Or do we keep it by paying cobra? Rumor has it these lay offs may continue into summer but that may just be a rumor as we seem to be held in the dark lol

You need 80 hours per month to maintain your benefits. (If you work your 3.5 hour guarantee, you get credit for 4 hours.) The hours worked in December are for your April benefits. Going forward if you don't get the 80 hours, you will be sent a pay-in notice for approx. $10.87 for each hour you were short. If you have zero hours, you will be billed approx. $871. If you have zero hours 2 months in a row, you will have to go on Cobra in order to maintain coverage. Cost at that point is approx. $720 for a single $1439 for double and $1871 for a family plan. After going back to work, you would then have to get a total of 250 over 3 consecutive months to have your health insurance kick back in.

mainer

Thanks for the info. Its good to know what may be coming my way in bills, I probably will bump a preloader on the days I can to off set some of that. I hate to do that to someone but I have to think of my family first. Thanks all!!

542thruNthru

Thanks for the info. Its good to know what may be coming my way in bills, I probably will bump a preloader on the days I can to off set some of that. I hate to do that to someone but I have to think of my family first. Thanks all!!

I don't think you can just pick and choose days you want to bump. You will essentially be taking his position until the layoffs go away is what I believe.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I don't think it is right that a 1 week FTer can bump am15 year PTer. I think all supplements should be like the Central. You have to have more Company seniority in order to bump.

Anyway, do not look at it as bumping a per

The reason that this does not happen in the Central is because PTers got tired of getting screwed and started voting and making their voices heard.

In the Central, a FT employee has to have more Company seniority in order to bump a PTer.

Some think that FT seniority should trump all. Others, like me, do not believe that a 1 month employee should be able to bump a 15 year employee just because he is PT.

You guys need to vote on contracts and stick up for yourselves.

One last thing. In your area, even if a FTer can bump a PTer, don't they have to bump the least senior PTers?

Why are 30 year PTers getting bumped?

mainer

I couldn't agree more with your comments, I appreciate them as do my coworkers. To answer your question as to how someone that has devoted over half their life with the company (yes only part time but still...m-friend for 30 plus years is a true dedication) Well this is happening due to the small size of our center. We have around 30 preloaders , high 40 drivers , and a local sort consisting of 9 employees. A couple of guys that have a couple of years under their belt, next is me with 14, followed by my brother from another mother with 20 plus, next the old school mentors of our small shift with each having 30 plus years. We are a dysfunctional family , but it works and we get our work done , efficiently while having fun but now we are temporarily losing hours to guys that haven't even worked our job. Just seems strange. We were hired as package handlers and half of our replacements were hired as drivers. I am not sure what constitutes a skilled job but I know my position as a small sort sorter is not something these guys know, nor is international packages etc. I am not trying to come off as a bitchy worker and i respect UPS decisions etc but with that said it seems unfair, not just to part timers but the drivers as well.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sorry, don't know what happened to my post. I started one and then thought I killed it and started another one. This is the part that should have been there.

The first part was an unfinished thought.

The reason that this does not happen in the Central is because PTers got tired of getting screwed and started voting and making their voices heard.

In the Central, a FT employee has to have more Company seniority in order to bump a PTer.

Some think that FT seniority should trump all. Others, like me, do not believe that a 1 month employee should be able to bump a 15 year employee just because he is PT.

You guys need to vote on contracts and stick up for yourselves.

One last thing. In your area, even if a FTer can bump a PTer, don't they have to bump the least senior PTers?

Why are 30 year PTers getting bumped?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am not trying to come off as a bitchy worker and i respect UPS decisions etc but with that said it seems unfair, not just to part timers but the drivers as well.

I believe that is is unfair. A lot of FTers don't care about the PTers, even though most came from PT.

Also, the FTers voted the contract in. They wanted to take care of themselves, at the cost of the non-voting PTers. Screw the PTers. If we get laid off, bump them, and who cares if they have a family to feed.

The same can be said about areas that want, or have, classification seniority.

It hurts more than it helps.

The only way to change it is to make your voice heard come contract time and to vote.