Question regarding being forced to work.

GenericUsername

Hey all, on mobile, so sorry if this has been asked prior.

My center is having issues with staffing reload. I got a message today saying that the bottom of the seniority list has to work reload tonight.

I recently qualified as a tcd, yet I'm obviously still part of the preload and am on the preload seniority list.

I questioned my ors what the deal is and he said the bottom of the tcd list is on call all week for reload.

Is this a case of them jerking me around or is this just a work as directed scenario? I would ask our stewards but I'm going to be in the building before they get back.

Thanks.

Nine5

Like you said staffing issues, I don't think they are taking advantage..... look at it as extra earning opportunity!

Faceplanted

No. Pre load is your assigned shift. You cover drive when needed.

They are doing this to you because it's easy for them to have a personal bitch to come in when volume/staffing issue

FYI check your supplement. Most do not allow any tcd on call bs. You need to be notified the day prior if your start time....period...

No call in the morning bs that they try and play.

JustAnotherSup

As a TCD, you get to drive when: (1) there is a need for you to drive and (2) you are available to drive. For (1) AND (2) to be true for you, the need for you to work your assigned shift cannot be greater than the need for you to drive.

Otherwise, you're a preloader (as you already stated). As a preloader, when the preload needs that much help, you work preload. Period. You might get to drive after preload wraps. You might not. It depends if there is the need.

Depending on the union in your area, you might "get away" (please forgive the inartful phrasing) with not working preload if you belonged to another shift. But you're a preloader, and you're being asked to work preload. Work as directed. In the event you were on another shift, I'd still advise working preload as directed, just because that's where you're most needed (and it may negatively impact you if you don't) and because it would be extra hours.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
As a preloader, when the preload needs that much help, you work preload. Period.

Your screen name seems to lead us to believe that you are a sup. A sup that doesn't know the difference between preload and reload.

Depending on the union in your area, you might "get away" (please forgive the inartful phrasing) with not working preload if you belonged to another shift.

He doesn't belong to another shift. He will not get away with NOT working preload on the days he does not TCD.

But you're a preloader, and you're being asked to work preload.

He is not being asked to work preload, he is being asked to work reload, on the days he is also TCD. He is not asked to work preload and then come in at night and work reload.

I think you need to go back to sup school.

Work as directed.

Not if they tell you to work the reload after already driving for the day.

In the event you were on another shift, I'd still advise working preload as directed,

He is not on another shift. He is on preload. But actually TCD for the purpose of this post.

This is what's wrong with UPS today. Sups like this that didn't seem to even graduate from 8th grade.

because it would be extra hours.

The only thing I agree that you said.

If I was TCD all day and asked to work the reload, I would politely deny the request. If I was instructed to work the reload, I would politely deny and leave. One reason why we have a union.

Poor planning on their part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

ManInBrown

Hey all, on mobile, so sorry if this has been asked prior.

My center is having issues with staffing reload. I got a message today saying that the bottom of the seniority list has to work reload tonight.

I recently qualified as a tcd, yet I'm obviously still part of the preload and am on the preload seniority list.

I questioned my ors what the deal is and he said the bottom of the tcd list is on call all week for reload.

Is this a case of them jerking me around or is this just a work as directed scenario? I would ask our stewards but I'm going to be in the building before they get back.

Thanks.
If you're a temp, plan on being fired if you refuse to work. You have zero rights.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
work as instructed

also for what it's worth the center has to be pretty desperate to start calling in drivers for the preload, it puts a lot of pressure on the on road side