Questioning myself!?!

d-rek357

So today I was covering a route I don't run often and got to a stop at a storage unit that had a COD. I went to the office and got the key for the locker and went on to the unit, opened door and there were two checks made out to the company of the COD without the total (just blank).
Here is what I'm questioning, I took the total and divided it by two and filled out the two checks assuming that's what the normal driver does for that customer. Now I wish I would have just left an DN with the total on it and let the regular driver get it tomorrow. What would you have done? Also under signature I put my initials and typed "customer left checks." Any input?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cementups

Box Monkey
You should have just taken one check. Now when the regular driver shows up tomorrow to do the same favor for the customer with another COD, there will be no checks for him.

d-rek357

I thought that too, luckily they are there every morning and will see what I did, so if they have another COD they can leave another check. I'm unassigned so I don't do things like that for customers so I'm a little paranoid about doing it this time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Those storage unit wannabee business in a storage unit are a pain in the ass...especially if the storage manager won't give you a key and he has to walk down to meet you after he gets off the phone or dealing with a customer at the stinky jacked up office where he sleeps upstairs..

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If the driver has a bidded route and its his route, a smart driver would have the key to the storage unit, just saying. I have a snap on guy that has a storage unit and I have the key to it. I deliver the stuff to his unit, lock up, and then I text him to know I dropped some for him.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
Also under signature I put my initials and typed "customer left checks." Any input?

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quote]

I saw a driver fired for this. You can't sign for a customer in any way shape or form if you don't believe me call security and tell them what you did.

30yearstolife

Don't ever fill in a check. Don't ever fill in anything under signature screen yourself.It can get you fired. Don't do things that can get you fired.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
If the driver has a bidded route and its his route, a smart driver would have the key to the storage unit, just saying. I have a snap on guy that has a storage unit and I have the key to it. I deliver the stuff to his unit, lock up, and then I text him to know I dropped some for him.
No wonder you can't take lunch. I won't hold keys or EVER give a customer my cell number.

30yearstolife

I refuse to carry keys for any customer, garage, storage unit or whatever. When they forget to lockup and are robbed, who is the first suspect?....the guy with the extra key.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A really smart driver would never accept a key to a storage unit-----what if something were to come up missing? I would gladly go to the office, borrow the key, deliver the packages, secure the unit and return the key. I also would not text the customer.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had many customers who would leave checks for packages but they always had amounts filled in. I only ever filled in amounts a couple of times when customer was there but unable to write. And those were people I knew. I wouldn't fill in a blank check that was just left at a delivery point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had many customers who would leave checks for packages but they always had amounts filled in. I only ever filled in amounts a couple of times when customer was there but unable to write. And those were people I knew. I wouldn't fill in a blank check that was just left at a delivery point.

Why not? It's not as though the check is made out to you or that you would be able to financially benefit from the transaction.

I always circle the COD amount on the package to make sure they know how much I wrote the check for.

d-rek357

Everyone is confirming my thoughts, I shouldn't have filled in the checks and shouldn't have typed anything in under signature screen. No more favors, NI1+COD amount. I was trying to provide service but that's too much. Hindsights 20/20

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyone is confirming my thoughts, I shouldn't have filled in the checks and shouldn't have typed anything in under signature screen. No more favors, NI1+COD amount. I was trying to provide service but that's too much. Hindsights 20/20

Sent using BrownCafe App

You did the right thing. Thanks for taking care of the customer. Dave.

Sent using BrownCafe App