Questions about performance

SunnyBro

About to be a month at UPS for me, a part-time truck loader during the Twilight shift. Heard a lot of rough things about the job and sure as hell have experienced it, but still going strong.

I've heard a few different things from my supervisors about my loading speed though. I want to know what you guys consider a safe, reasonable packages per hour (pph). One supervisor when teaching me how to load told me that they aim for their loaders to reach a speed of 400pph. This number seemed way high but I heard it repeated a few times, and a few days ago another supervisor told me to reach for a 250pph speed. From you guys who have worked here longer than I have, what is reasonable? I hear a lot of people saying to not waste time trying to push yourself because they'll only put more on you (true from what I've seen so far, every time I work extra hard to finish all the packages on my rollers I get sent to another backed up truck constantly playing a game of catch up). I am determined to work hard for my pay, but don't want to be pushed around.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
About to be a month at UPS for me, a part-time truck loader during the Twilight shift. Heard a lot of rough things about the job and sure as hell have experienced it, but still going strong.I've heard a few different things from my supervisors about my loading speed though...
Because they all are liars...

About a month is a good enough time to know if you suck or not.

If your performance was lacking...

You would know.

Screw em.

Hope this helps

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
About to be a month at UPS for me, a part-time truck loader during the Twilight shift. Heard a lot of rough things about the job and sure as hell have experienced it, but still going strong.

I've heard a few different things from my supervisors about my loading speed though. I want to know what you guys consider a safe, reasonable packages per hour (pph). One supervisor when teaching me how to load told me that they aim for their loaders to reach a speed of 400pph. This number seemed way high but I heard it repeated a few times, and a few days ago another supervisor told me to reach for a 250pph speed. From you guys who have worked here longer than I have, what is reasonable? I hear a lot of people saying to not waste time trying to push yourself because they'll only put more on you (true from what I've seen so far, every time I work extra hard to finish all the packages on my rollers I get sent to another backed up truck constantly playing a game of catch up). I am determined to work hard for my pay, but don't want to be pushed around.
WAD until you're in the union. Then Art 37 out the wazoo.

Nah

My average was in the neighborhood of about 220-250. I've only ever done 400/hr in a night once.

When you factor in stupid :censored2: like jams, clearing egress issues, sometimes the flow is nearly dead...it's pointless to even think about it. Just show up, do your job as well and as safely as you can, and leave. Don't worry about PPH. It's meaningless.

DVIR

From my experience being on preload and now being a driver, i don’t think they care much at all about production in the building. I’ve seen total train wrecks on the inside not have a word spoken to them. Go full time though and prepare to be harassed daily even if you’re doing a good job ( thats me)
Just work at a comfortable pace that you can sustain without hurting yourself. If they keep pushing you and you get an injury do you think they will even care? You’re just another body to them, protect yourself.

Big Rigger

Ask them if you could shadow them for a couple of hours while they demonstrate how to load 400 pph. Tell them it's important that you see how it is done so that you can be just like them.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You will learn to miss the times where things felt even remotely productive.
as far as I've seen, on a normal terrible, very bad day, preload is in the upper 150s, load is in the lower 250s, unload is in the upper 300s.

There's not much that they do in rewarding how you carry your organization forward into the next shift: the unload will screw up the sorters, the sorters will screw up the loaders, the loaders will screw up the next unload or drivers. twilight is too relaxed and they are crybabies if they complain about what a driver brings back however lol. I don't remember what the twilight production numbers are but they have to be the most realistic.

Big Rigger

Do the math.

Loading 400 pph is loading a package every 9 seconds.

I hope you load 500 cube package cars. It takes at least 5 seconds to safely walk from the bulk head door of a 1000/1200 cube PC to the belt and grab one under 70# pkg from the belt to load again.

I seriously doubt you can maintain loading 400 pph into 3 PCs in one hour much less doing it accurately and safely.
Look before stepping? There's no time. Screenshot_20201201-233618~2.png

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
As stated before, ask your sup to demonstrate it for 1 measly hour. This will end the conversation and they will move on to another target to make their crooked boss happy. Not one member of management can make their fairy tale numbers.

Dr.Brownz

Dont worry about a number, just load safely. The union does not recognize any type of production standards.

Cowboy Mac

As stated before, ask your sup to demonstrate it for 1 measly hour. This will end the conversation and they will move on to another target to make their crooked boss happy. Not one member of management can make their fairy tale numbers.
That’s the best when they jump in the trailer with you. I used to stop loading and just watch them.

Cowboy Mac

One time when I was a loader, the sup asked me:

“What do you think your PPH was today?”
Me: ???
Sup: “150”
Me (excitedly): That’s pretty good!!!

I thought I saw steam come out of his ears.

PT Car Washer

Do the math.

Loading 400 pph is loading a package every 9 seconds.

I hope you load 500 cube package cars. It takes at least 5 seconds to safely walk from the bulk head door of a 1000/1200 cube PC to the belt and grab one under 70# pkg from the belt to load again.

I seriously doubt you can maintain loading 400 pph into 3 PCs in one hour much less doing it accurately and safely.
Look before stepping? There's no time.View attachment 348029
Loading trailers on the twi sort not package cars on the preload. You are comparing apples to watermelons.

PT Car Washer

One time when I was a loader, the sup asked me:

“What do you think your PPH was today?”
Me: ???
Sup: “150”
Me (excitedly): That’s pretty good!!!

I thought I saw steam come out of his ears.
PT sup on preload told me I was 99% effective one morning. I thought he was going to buy me breakfast. Told me I had to start picking up the slack. Get the picture?