Questions? and More Questions?

I was hired in july of this year. I did not start driving until the end of September. From July to September I was suppose to start on 3 different occasions. Once I was standing in my hub managers office with the HR manager who took me over to introduce me only to be told by the hub manager that he didn't know I was coming and I won't be starting that day. 2 weeks later I'm told I'm starting by the hub manager and then get a phone call while standing in the garage shack waiting to be signed in cuz I didn't have my ID yet and my supervisor calls and says come back tomorrow we canceled your trip! Then there is also the time I was suppose to start but we were getting a new hub manager.

So far since starting not counting the week of training, I've worked 2 days, 3 days, off the whole week, 3 days, 2.5 days, and 1.5 days. I suppose to be full time hired straight of the streets the position didn't say temp or part time or seasonal!

Now today I was told I'm going to be taking over a trip that some one bid on but doesn't want and went to a feeder position! They said I can just sit on the trip? Ok what does that mean? Does that mean I now am permanent? Does that mean I'll be staying past January? Does that mean the trip is now mine for good?

I have no clue what's going on and I'm starting to get frustrated. Suppose to be a 40 hour a week job yet barely getting any hours, I moved 6 hours south and just about everything I've been told about the position was a lie so should I stick it out and hope it get's better or start looking for a new job like one of the office personel told me to do today cuz I'm probably going to be let go in January along with everybody else they hired!!

And why the hell am I paying union dues when the chances of me being let go in January are pretty high!!

Thanks for help..

Box Ox

You got hardcore dragged, brah. Don't ever trust HR or make life decisions based on UPS until you've signed a Union card, have a seniority date on your location's list, or have received a permanent PT/FT benefits package in the mail.

542thruNthru

I was hired in july of this year. I did not start driving until the end of September. From July to September I was suppose to start on 3 different occasions. Once I was standing in my hub managers office with the HR manager who took me over to introduce me only to be told by the hub manager that he didn't know I was coming and I won't be starting that day. 2 weeks later I'm told I'm starting by the hub manager and then get a phone call while standing in the garage shack waiting to be signed in cuz I didn't have my ID yet and my supervisor calls and says come back tomorrow we canceled your trip! Then there is also the time I was suppose to start but we were getting a new hub manager.

So far since starting not counting the week of training, I've worked 2 days, 3 days, off the whole week, 3 days, 2.5 days, and 1.5 days. I suppose to be full time hired straight of the streets the position didn't say temp or part time or seasonal!

Now today I was told I'm going to be taking over a trip that some one bid on but doesn't want and went to a feeder position! They said I can just sit on the trip? Ok what does that mean? Does that mean I now am permanent? Does that mean I'll be staying past January? Does that mean the trip is now mine for good?

I have no clue what's going on and I'm starting to get frustrated. Suppose to be a 40 hour a week job yet barely getting any hours, I moved 6 hours south and just about everything I've been told about the position was a lie so should I stick it out and hope it get's better or start looking for a new job like one of the office personel told me to do today cuz I'm probably going to be let go in January along with everybody else they hired!!

And why the hell am I paying union dues when the chances of me being let go in January are pretty high!!

Thanks for help..

First let me say everywhere is different. It's sound to me like they have a route up and need it filled because no one wants it. So I would assume you will be placed on this route until it's bid again.

Also relax in about 2 weeks you will be getting more hours then you want. Everyone will be.

Good luck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
FB-090617-Hillary-Face.jpg

You got hardcore dragged, brah. Don't ever trust HR or make life decisions based on UPS until you've signed a Union card, have a seniority date on your location's list, or have received a permanent PT/FT benefits package in the mail.

I've gotten stuff about the 401k and insurance, they all had sign some stuff about the union and dues when we started!!

First let me say everywhere is different. It's sound to me like they have a route up and need it filled because no one wants it. So I would assume you will be placed on this route until it's bid again.

Also relax in about 2 weeks you will be getting more hours then you want. Everyone will be.

Good luck.

The guy who bid on the route went to feeder and the boss told me the other day he would've been fired if it wasn't for the holiday season! I was told I'm going to sit on that route through holiday season, so it's mine unless I screw up to bad atleast til holidays are over.

When you get a signed union card? Timeframe?

35years

Gravy route
If they are jacking you around and only pretending you are permanent they are not going to be upfront about it.

Every area has rules about when you can, and can not work drivers seasonally (not permanent). They may have worked you outside of the seasonal window, which might work out for you if they end up working you more than 30 working days. Keep track of your hours, and document them.

Check with your steward what rules apply in your area. Don't ask your manager who the steward is...Ask a driver.

You wont have a permanent position until you have made it through a 30 day probationary period even if they consider you a permanent hire, which is questionable. You have no right to stay on that route, if you are a seasonal or temp. They can move you to a new one any time.

Last edited:
If they are jacking you around and only pretending you are permanent they are not going to be upfront about it.

Every area has rules about when you can, and can not work drivers seasonally (not permanent). They may have worked you outside of the seasonal window, which might work out for you if they end up working you more than 30 working days. Keep track of your hours, and document them.

Check with your steward what rules apply in your area. Don't ask your manager who the steward is...Ask a driver.

How do you know who the steward is? I didn't find out about the 30 day thing until I went to HR..

I'm not the only one upset about it, they hired like 12 drivers all for fulltime none for temp or seasonal, pretty much everything HR and my management team has said was a lie!!

35years

Gravy route
How do you know who the steward is? I didn't find out about the 30 day thing until I went to HR..

I'm not the only one upset about it, they hired like 12 drivers all for fulltime none for temp or seasonal, pretty much everything HR and my management team has said was a lie!!
You wont know if you were worked outside the seasonal window unless you talk to the steward.

As to management lying...Yeah, it is to be expected.
If you express your frustration to management you will likely be let go.

Only shot is to get through the 30 days, with no accidents or injuries, hustling your butt off, kissing ass. Once you make it you have protection.

Ask an old driver who the steward is...The steward is not management. Preferably don't talk to the steward when management sees you...
Until you make your 30 days. Once you make it remember that management and HR lied to you. Don't be a kiss ass after you make it.

Well I'm
You wont know if you were worked outside the seasonal window unless you talk to the steward.

Only shot is to get through the 30 days, with no accidents or injuries, hustling your butt off, kissing ass. Once you make it you have protection.

Ask an old driver who the steward is...The steward is not management. Preferably don't talk to the steward when management sees you...
Until you make your 30 days. Once you make it remember that management and HR lied to you. Don't be a kiss ass after you make it.[/

Until you make your 30 days. Once you make it remember that management and HR lied to you. Don't be a kiss ass after you make it.

I've been paying dues for 4 weeks, so who knows what's going on, I should've already made my 30 but like I said in another post I was supposed to start 3 different times..

I've been paying dues for 4 weeks, so who knows what's going on, I should've already made my 30 but like I said in another post I was supposed to start 3 different times..

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My understanding is: If you were hired for a permanent position and you drive 31 days, you are in. If you are switched to a route other than your training route, you are in. Come January, however, whether you work or not will be determined day to day based on number of routes and your place on the seniority list. Your seniority should be your hire date once you get through probation. The days you don't drive will be considered lay off days. Once you rack up 10 lay off days in a calendar year you can start working inside (preload and/or local sort, or whatever else you have in your hub). If you can hack that for an indefinite amount of time, then it is worth sticking it out.
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy on an internet forum, telling you how things work where I'm at. To get the answers that apply to your situation make your way down to your local union hall on a lay off day and have a conversation with your rep.