QUESTIONS CO-WORKERS ASK RETIREES

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Funny, ran into a former feeder co worker today at burger joint and he asked me the same 3-4 questions I always get when i see a former co worker after retiring.

Q, how do you like retirement?
A . great , everyday feels like a Saturday

Q. How are the health benefits? ( I'm in Western conference )
A. Pretty good . pay $75 each for me and spouse a month . prescriptions and dr. co pay is pretty low.

Q. Do you miss UPS?
A. Don't even think about it unless in news. Feels like I worked there 100 years ago. ( been retired 5 years )

Q. Do you ever get bored?
A. hardly ever. always busy doing something. seems like we never have enough time to do everything we want to do.

Usually , without me asking they tell you about all the changes at UPS, usually for the worse.

Meanwhile , they comment that you look so happy/ content

"Ya, I am " I say.

Funny, ran into a former feeder co worker today at burger joint and he asked me the same 3-4 questions I always get when i see a former co worker after retiring.

A. Pretty good . pay $75 each for me and spouse a month . prescriptions and dr. co pay is pretty low.

Q. Do you miss UPS?
A. Don't even think about it unless in news. Feels like I worked there 100 years ago. ( been retired 5 years )

A. hardly ever. always busy doing something. seems like we never have enough time to do everything we want to do.

Usually , without me asking they tell you about all the changes at UPS, usually for the worse.

"Ya, I am " I say.
There's all those stripper dollars pay your co-pays for insurance?

rod

Retired 22 years

Q. Do you miss UPS?

"Ya, I am " I say.
I don't ever get asked about UPS anymore. The closest I get to that is "Did you ever work for a living"?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Only been gone 7 months, whenever I talk to guys from my old building they usually want to know specifics:
How much did you get?
How much was the straight payout vs 50% survivor benefit?
What are you paying for healthcare?
How long did it take for UPS to pay out your sick/personals?

Everyone's making a plan to get out of that place, 2 other guys in my group have retired since I did and probably another 2-3 will roll out this year.

Only been gone 7 months, whenever I talk to guys from my old building they usually want to know specifics:
How much did you get?
How much was the straight payout vs 50% survivor benefit?
What are you paying for healthcare?
How long did it take for UPS to pay out your sick/personals?

Everyone's making a plan to get out of that place, 2 other guys in my group have retired since I did and probably another 2-3 will roll out this year.
The improvement stuff

Shiftless

I haven't been asked a question in a long time about retirement. I only see my driver who knows I am retired and he still has 8 years to go, so not on his list of things to yak about list. BUT! There are 5 of us retired guys who email or text each other on our phones mostly about Family, Hobbies, jokes, health, travel and who died !

Just yesterday which is extremely rare that we talk about brown crap, one guy texts a dog story. Next thing you know we have 5 dog stories texted from our working days. Like I said pretty rare we talk about anything brown, probably why we are still good friends today I guess???

rod

Retired 22 years
I haven't been asked a question in a long time about retirement. I only see my driver who knows I am retired and he still has 8 years to go, so not on his list of things to yak about list. BUT! There are 5 of us retired guys who email or text each other on our phones mostly about Family, Hobbies, jokes, health, travel and who died !

Just yesterday which is extremely rare that we talk about brown crap, one guy texts a dog story. Next thing you know we have 5 dog stories texted from our working days. Like I said pretty rare we talk about anything brown, probably why we are still good friends today I guess???
Start a monthly breakfast for retired UPS people. Thats what we did. In the whole history of my center there has probably only been 20-25 retirees. 3 have died. We usually have about 12-15 show up in the summer and 8 -10 in the winter (Some go south). We meet at 9 a.m. at the local Perkins and our waitress is actually the ex wife of one of the retirees. She pretty much know what every one will order. They put us in the back room by ourselves so we don't have to watch our language (you know how UPS'ers can get). Other than maybe discussing who the next retiree will be UPS business very seldom comes up. Some of our breakfasts last 3-4 hours. We were always a tight group so keeping in touch with one and other just comes naturally. The new guys don't seem to be that way. COVID rules have screwed us up a few times this past year but Mn. opened up the inside restaurant eating again a week ago so we should be back in action for a Feb. breakfast.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The feeder driver did laugh when I told him I made it over the 5 year mark in retirement.
Too many retired drivers have died within 5 years ( in our area )

You have to have something to do other than watching TV and drinking.

I told him I'm so busy now I cant believe I ever had time to get things done while working.

rod

Retired 22 years
The feeder driver did laugh when I told him I made it over the 5 year mark in retirement.
Too many retired drivers have died within 5 years ( in our area )

You have to have something to do other than watching TV and drinking.

I told him I'm so busy now I cant believe I ever had time to get things done while working.
I stayed super busy for the first 15 years or so after I retired but I have slowed down now. It don't take much for me to kill a day anymore.

Indecisi0n

I stayed super busy for the first 15 years or so after I retired but I have slowed down now. It don't take much for me to kill a day anymore.
An object in motion stays in motion. Keep on moving rod ! Do you have any physical hobbies or go to the gym ?

rod

Retired 22 years
An object in motion stays in motion. Keep on moving rod ! Do you have any physical hobbies or go to the gym ?
I was very active at the YMCA until COVID shut it down. It still isn't open for much. I do get outside to do something everyday even if its just to walk out to my workshop to see what I can fix or break--whatever comes first.

Indecisi0n

I was very active at the YMCA until COVID shut it down. It still isn't open for much. I do get outside to do something everyday even if its just to walk out to my workshop to see what I can fix or break--whatever comes first.
Good because once you stop moving that when trouble happens. If you asks me age really is just a stupid number. Get out there and do something that causes you to sweat or breath hard. Your body still needs it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
sometimes i fall into a rut, especially in the winter when it's too cold to work outside. the thing that helps me is to make a to do list for home projects, cleaning or whatever.

Best time is morning after a couple cups of coffee. Can get a lot done in a couple hours and then relax. yesterday we took a 35 mile drive just to get In and Out Burger and then do a little shopping.

Came home the back way which is about 80 miles thru the back country with dogs, It was very relaxing.

rod

Retired 22 years
1611166206458.png

clean hairy

Or to see what you can break so you can fix it?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
do miss the pool being shut down so I can swim some laps.
great way to start the day.
Ms Jones swims 6 days a week, County Rec Center pools are open here but you have to reserve a timeslot which actually isn't bad if you're a lap swimmer because it means you're guaranteed a lane and you don't have to share.