Questions regarding work/life

whatisakeith

I'm in the beginning process of possibly getting a job at UPS. I'm currently a CDL delivery driver and I'm away from home usually from 5:30am until 5pm every day. I still get to see my family a decent amount every day. The one thing I'm apprehensive about even it comes to UPS employment is the work/life balance. Is there any?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Waste Manager

You won't be home for supper during the week as you are now..you probably won't be home to tuck the kiddies into bed some days..or during peak...
On the other hand..you might be able to have brekkie with the fam..depends on your center,and your start time..
Get used to paying people to do all the jobs around the house you used to do(if you do now)..that you had time for..

BrownTexas

You won't be home for supper during the week as you are now..you probably won't be home to tuck the kiddies into bed some days..or during peak...
On the other hand..you might be able to have brekkie with the fam..depends on your center,and your start time..
Get used to paying people to do all the jobs around the house you used to do(if you do now)..that you had time for..
Couldn't agree more about paying people to do all your odd jobs. Lol.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I leave the house at 8am and I'm rarely home before 8pm.
From Thanksgiving to Christmas, I'm rarely home before 10pm
Because of this job, I missed most of my kid's school performances while they were growing up. There were many weeks during peak season when I would only get to see the kids on the weekends.
I used to be able to keep up with all of the jobs around the house when I was younger, but not any more. I'm usually too worn out on Saturdays to do much of anything and on Sundays I run out of time.
That being said, this job has provided well for me and my family over the years. You just need to figure out if the money is worth the time away from your family. Don't forget to include your wife in your decision as she will be a single parent most of the time.

whatisakeith

Wow thanks for all the responses. I definitely have some thinking to do. I think being there for my family is more important than an increase in income.

Sent using BrownCafe App

during the summer time I get home at a good time. during peak is different usually 10 to 11.5 hour days. good thing about that is that I'm only 15 minutes from work. Family come first of course but they understand my work.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
When you look at old photo's of the kids, you can't remember half of all that stuff because you weren't there.

aiian

I'll just say that this new 2OOO curfew is an absolute blessing to the aIIan household.

Used to be getting home before 22OO was a miracle... I live ~2O minutes from the building.

ETA being on the 9.5 list didn't even change things.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Wow thanks for all the responses. I definitely have some thinking to do. I think being there for my family is more important than an increase in income.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Driving aint no joke, its not for everybody. If you want to see your family and not miss seeing your kids grow up, don't drive. Yeah that's the real deal.