Quick layoff question

New Englander

I was hired AFTER 1993. I have completed my progression. I have not been laid of since I was in progression.

I'm being told I'm getting laid off this next week.

The contract language can get a bit confusing, I have a call into my BA but have not heard back yet.

Do I get a guaranteed 8 hours at driver rate? I know it says if hired prior to August 1993, it's an 8hr block they owe you. They can't make you do preload then local sort.

Just curious how it's going to work.

Thanks

helenofcalifornia

So you are a driver? And you have been driving since 1993 and you are getting laid off??? How many other drivers in your center are getting laid off? Kind of grim if UPS is laying off in October.

New Englander

So you are a driver? And you have been driving since 1993 and you are getting laid off??? How many other drivers in your center are getting laid off? Kind of grim if UPS is laying off in October.

I made seniority 9/29/03. I am the most senior driver getting laid off. Our center was stupidly over staffed this bid season. We have one PT who signed a bid AT bid time, yet to start his 30 days. Still working PT, another seasonal who made seniority who has driven maybe 1 month since then.

I have not experienced a lay off since my last year of progression. 3 years now.

Overpaid Union Thug

I was hired AFTER 1993. I have completed my progression. I have not been laid of since I was in progression.

I'm being told I'm getting laid off this next week.

The contract language can get a bit confusing, I have a call into my BA but have not heard back yet.

Do I get a guaranteed 8 hours at driver rate? I know it says if hired prior to August 1993, it's an 8hr block they owe you. They can't make you do preload then local sort.

Just curious how it's going to work.

Thanks

In the Southern Supplement we are guaranteed 8 hours at our current driver pay. We can bump two part-timers and work double shifts in the hub/center. After seven consecutive days of being laid off from driving the pay rate goes to what ever it would be in the hub/center. For example: since you were hired in 1993 your pay rate would be whatever a part-timer hired in 1993 would be making at this point. If you are laid off 6 days and then drive the seventh day and then get laid off again you'd still be at your driver rate while working inside. That is the way I understood the language anyway.

Our center isn't known for lay offs. We've always went down the seniority list and asked drivers if they wanted the day off and there is always plenty of people wanting an extra day off. I've only had to work inside three or four times sine I've been full-time. I worked preload/reload and also preload/air driving. On day I worked hours only but was able to get 6.5 hours. The sups don't like laid off drivers running air because we show up as extra routes no matter how many hours we work and IE gives them hell for it. Just remember.....you are guaranteed 8 hours. That's how it is in the Southern Supplement anyway.

gandydancer

...since you were hired in 1993 your pay rate would be whatever a part-timer hired in 1993 would be making at this point...

Actually, he made seniority as a driver in 2003, not 1993. 1993 was the cutoff for a grandfathering provision that he doesn't qualify for. Still, it's pretty amazing that there are no drivers except the two new hires with less seniority than 2003.

New Englander

Actually, he made seniority as a driver in 2003, not 1993. 1993 was the cutoff for a grandfathering provision that he doesn't qualify for. Still, it's pretty amazing that there are no drivers except the two new hires with less seniority than 2003.

Oh no....there are 7 below me. Those two are the only ones that are "new" this year.

Management screwed up. Under planned. I was just informed I'm working all week. Though I am the least senior employee working our center this next week.

For some weird reason....not many vacations this week - just how vacation bidding worked out this year.