quick question about after peak.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
sup fellow sarcastic upsers. Been on pre-load for last six months, just passed integrad. im wondering since i am already a permanent employee going in to full-time peak driving, any possibility i will be kept on driving? or will i go back to pre-load? I have to be considered over off the street seasonals id imagine. thanks for any insight, insults, sarcastic trash talk. word

over9five

Staff member
sup fellow sarcastic upsers. Been on pre-load for last six months, just passed integrad. im wondering since i am already a permanent employee going in to full-time peak driving, any possibility i will be kept on driving? or will i go back to pre-load? I have to be considered over off the street seasonals id imagine. thanks for any insight, insults, sarcastic trash talk. word
Loved that line!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No, you're a temp driver. Which means you will be a driver from June-December 31 as needed, but from the beginning of the year until June, you will return to your preload duties.

thatsmypackage

If you don't mind, I have a question or two... You say you are a preloader... Is that the same as "package handler"? Did you have to start out as a "seasonal" preloader? I ask because I want to get my foot in the door at UPS to get my name on the list for a "perm" driver position too. I'm a seasonal driver and as I am learning, I'm wasting my time doing this year after year because I'm not a perm employee thus not earning seniority, thus not allowing me to get on the list.

I've already tried to get in as a package handler but HR says that they are only seasonal positions as well... so I figured if both driver and package handler positions are seasonal, I may as well go with the higher paying one.

Why is it so hard to get in this company? LOL!

PT Car Washer

I can not believe you said that. UPS hires people all the time. Some last a month. Some last an hour. Preload is really bad as far as keeping people.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you don't mind, I have a question or two... You say you are a preloader... Is that the same as "package handler"? Did you have to start out as a "seasonal" preloader? I ask because I want to get my foot in the door at UPS to get my name on the list for a "perm" driver position too. I'm a seasonal driver and as I am learning, I'm wasting my time doing this year after year because I'm not a perm employee thus not earning seniority, thus not allowing me to get on the list.

I've already tried to get in as a package handler but HR says that they are only seasonal positions as well... so I figured if both driver and package handler positions are seasonal, I may as well go with the higher paying one.

Why is it so hard to get in this company? LOL!
Well, this time of year, anyone hired PT (helper or package handler) is seasonal. However, if you get hired as a temp package handler, at least in my building, there's a chance they may keep you on after peak. But even then, after peak, you will be sent home more days than you actually work, or be asked to call a sup's cell at say 4am everyday to see if they need you until probably March or April.

thatsmypackage

I can not believe you said that. UPS hires people all the time. Some last a month. Some last an hour. Preload is really bad as far as keeping people.

Yes, depending on how good of a worker a person is, they may last a month...they may last an hour. But how does one get a, "non temp" position at UPS? In other words, do all employees start off as temps in the hopes that one day the boss will approach them with a "perm" position offer? I just don't get why a driver with 12 years CDL experience and already 1 year UPS experience has such difficulty landing a perm driving position... unless the reason is purely because all slots are filled.

thatsmypackage

Well, this time of year, anyone hired PT (helper or package handler) is seasonal. However, if you get hired as a temp package handler, at least in my building, there's a chance they may keep you on after peak. But even then, after peak, you will be sent home more days than you actually work, or be asked to call a sup's cell at say 4am everyday to see if they need you until probably March or April.

Right, but even if you work here and there till April, your still considered temp right? I guess what I'm really trying to understand is... at what point will they ever bring a person on board as a "permanent" employee... who works all year round, 5 days a week? Because you can't earn seniority otherwise, right?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Right, but even if you work here and there till April, your still considered temp right? I guess what I'm really trying to understand is... at what point will they ever bring a person on board as a "permanent" employee... who works all year round, 5 days a week? Because you can't earn seniority otherwise, right?
after peak, you're not necessarily considered temp. But late january till late March is slower, so they don't need as many people, and those with seniority get to work. You would just be on probation and won't make book till April or May. So, if you can hang in there and deal with few hours, getting sent home and the BS until volume picks up, eventually you'll get seniority, then you're in.

thatsmypackage

after peak, you're not considered temp, you're just on probation and won't make book till April or May. So, if you can hang in there and deal with few hours and the BS until you get seniority, then you're in.

Does this also apply to Seasonal Package Delivery Drivers? Last year I was called here and there to come in, but around March 2013 I was called in by HR to turn in my uniforms... but I assume this was because upper management decided not to keep anyone... or they did keep some and I wasn't one of them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Does this also apply to Seasonal Package Delivery Drivers? Last year I was called here and there to come in, but around March 2013 I was called in by HR to turn in my uniforms... but I assume this was because upper management decided not to keep anyone... or they did keep some and I wasn't one of them.
I'm not sure, I'm just an overpaid PTer. But I doubt it

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Peak was officially recognized as ending in May in the new contract so probably two extra months next year.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just a heads-up to all you new-hire, seasonal, temporary and helper people who come here for advice:

Nobody here can help you, none!! Every area is different. We (with the exception of Hoax) are hourly (or, in my case, retired hourly) and can do nothing to help you or even advise you. Actually, Hoax is also retired and as a result is every bit as irrelevant as I am.

​Good luck, and keep on tipping at windmills.

iruhnman630

No, you're a temp driver. Which means you will be a driver from June-December 31 as needed, but from the beginning of the year until June, you will return to your preload duties.
The last 2 seasons in our center the seasonal positions were extended into 3rd week of January with the consent of the union although they had to use the permanent employees first.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just a heads-up to all you new-hire, seasonal, temporary and helper people who come here for advice:

Nobody here can help you, none!! Every area is different. We (with the exception of Hoax) are hourly (or, in my case, retired hourly) and can do nothing to help you or even advise you. Actually, Hoax is also retired and as a result is every bit as irrelevant as I am.

​Good luck, and keep on tipping at windmills.

You speak as if irrelevancy is a bad thing.
​I do not and take great pride in being irrelevant !

PT Car Washer

Union job with union rules regarding seniority and bidding rights to FT jobs. 6 PT workers to every off the street hire. You would be considered off the street hire. Seasonal employees have no contract rights other than wages.