quick question...

leumaS

does anyone know if a dockworker with a CDL gets paid more than a dockworker without one?
I ask because I am a dockworker with a CDL and the other guys on the dock make the same as I do but im out bustin my ass moving trailers while they watch and it gets kind of frustrating...I just found out that I am able to swipe on as a jockey when im in a truck but ive been doing this for a couple months now without the pay increase.
any info/insight is greatly appreciated

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If he has not been swiping on and off as jockey until now how would he know how many hours he drove? Would they base that upon how many hours he is driving since he started swiping?

sppollock

My question is why didn't anyone tell you about swiping during orientation. You need to average your hours that you have been working in hostler, than greive for that since you started, also greive that no one including management explained swiping to different jobs.

leumaS

My question is why didn't anyone tell you about swiping during orientation. You need to average your hours that you have been working in hostler, than greive for that since you started, also greive that no one including management explained swiping to different jobs.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I also just seen they are hiring a dockworker w a cdl... Is there a pay difference bc I'm a dockworker w a cdl but I think my job title is just a dockworker but I also jockey....?

sppollock

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I also just seen they are hiring a dockworker w a cdl... Is there a pay difference bc I'm a dockworker w a cdl but I think my job title is just a dockworker but I also jockey....?

One last question and I have an answer for you. Are you considered full time? According to the contract which I will post part of for you, you are to be paid the same for dockwork and jockey work, same as the rest of us. If you are full time the pay is higher than part time employees. I am sorry for the confusion, but we don't have dockworker w/ cdl where I am out of, so I don't know if these positions are full-time or not, so you need to find out, and then use your seniority with your cdl to get one of these positions.

Article 26
Wages
Section 1. Full-Time Local Cartage Employees

c. Employees entering a full-time Local Cartage job after ratification (whether promoted from casual or as a new hire) shall be paid in accordance with the following progression when performing jockey, helper or dock work:
Start $14.63
Seniority $15.68
Twelve (12) months $16.72
Twenty-four (24) months $18.81
Thirty-six (36) months Top Rate
When an employee completes the above progressions he/she shall be eligible thereafter to begin receiving the general wage increases set forth in paragraph a. above.
d. Employees entering a full-time Local Cartage job after ratification shall be paid in accordance with the following progression when performing local driving work:
Start $15.05
Seniority $16.13
Twelve (12) months $17.20
Twenty-four (24) months $19.35
When an employee completes the above progressions he/she shall be eligible thereafter to begin receiving the general wage increases set forth in paragraph a. above.

SECTION 3. Casual Employees

c. Casual employees hired after ratification of this Agreement shall be paid in accordance with the following:
Start 70%
Twelve (12) months 80%
Twenty-four (24) months 90%
The “Top Rate” referred to in the above schedule shall be fifteen dollars ($15.00). Once a casual employee completes that progression, he/she shall be eligible thereafter to begin receiving the hourly wage increases set forth in paragraph a. above. A casual employee who is awarded a full-time job shall begin the full-time progression at the seniority rate if his/her rate is below the seniority rate of the new full-time job. If a casual employee’s rate is higher than the seniority rate of the new job, he/she will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds the employee’s rate.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.