Quit, Now Cannot Get my Last 3 paychecks...

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Joules, Jan 2, 2009.

  1. Joules

    Joules New Member

    So finally i quit the slave factory, but now i cannot get my last 3 paychecks, i can view them on the upsers website so i know how much they owe me. I called several times (somewhere around 5-7) and it seems like i get redirected 10 times with nobody doing anything about it and eventually being sent to someones voicemail.

    Is there any corporate number i can call?
    Can i get help from Teamsters even though i am no longer a member?
    MUST i resolve this matter to small claims court? i rather wouldnt but if it gets me my money, whatever.

    Also to those thinking about quitting, please DO IT! no joke life is so much better. No more breathing in fumes/massive dust, breaking your back, working in 20 deg or 90 deg temperatures, taking bull from management... UPS=Under Paid Slave
  2. brownrodster

    brownrodster New Member

    Uhhh. What is keeping you from going to UPS and getting them yourself.
  3. Joules

    Joules New Member

    Well i moved like 3 hours away and im not going there before they can at least confirm they have them through the phone.
  4. brownrodster

    brownrodster New Member

    Obviously that hasn't worked.

    I think you would be laughed out of court. You moved away and didn't bother to get your paychecks before you left. Did you give UPS your new address?
  5. jw55wags

    jw55wags New Member

    Who was your mgt. person to whom you reported to every day. I would ask for him.
  6. dannyboy

    dannyboy From the promised LAND

    Have you called the actual center that you worked in? Talked to your ex sup or his sup?

    That would be the first place to start. More than likely they are in a locked in the safe waiting for you to pick them up.

    Small claims would be a waste, and the idea is to get your checks a lot sooner than that would take.

    Call them. You might have to go up there though and pick them up personally, as sending a check to an employee that claims over the phone he has moved is a problem waiting to happen. Unless they recognize your voice, most likely they wont forward them to you by mail.

  7. pickup

    pickup Well-Known Member

    i don't know too much about your situation, but did you turn in your id as well as any uniforms they assigned you(if any)? Also is it possible they mailed them to your old address?And maybe it is different where you work, but I am under the impression that you would be only owed two paychecks. One for the week before and one for the week in which you quit ( unless they hold back longer at your center).
  8. pickup

    pickup Well-Known Member

    also, in my state, when you can't get your last check (and please exhaust the options of contacting your ex sup , etc), state dept of labor is the place to go , not small claims. They have a form you fill out and one of the questions they do ask is are you a member of a union. The implication being that you use your union representation to help you get the checks. So also contact your shop steward if nothing else works but then use the form on the dept of labor's website.(hopefully, it won't go this far). Forms are usually on the state department of labor website (at least in my state and probably on yours as well.
  9. Joules

    Joules New Member

    Thanks for the quick responses people! My parents still live at my previous address and i told them to call me if they receive the checks.. I never told UPS i moved because i wanted to avoid unnecessary obstacles. I will try some of the methods you guys proposed.

    Btw brownrodster, i found your response humorous. Thanks for the laugh.... Theres a statute of limitations.. i can wait 2 years if i wanted. I did call a couple weeks after i quit they told me "its in the mail" so i waited week after week and no checks (still lived at same place) thats when i called again, left voicemail for the full time supe... Waited for response and nothing. Im supposed to put my life on hold before i get my checks??

    Oh and the reason why its 3 and not 2 is because of my vacation check.
  10. tieguy

    tieguy Banned

    What vacations would you have left if you quit in december?
  11. Leftinbuilding

    Leftinbuilding Active Member

    I kinda get the feeling you left under less than honorable circumstances and don't want to go back to pick up your checks. Man up, go back, get what is owed you, then get on with your life. You, like many before you, have realized UPS is not for everyone. Luck to you....
  12. King Of Queens

    King Of Queens New Member

    Go to court Haaa are you crazy...it sounds to me like you were P/T and it would cost more in court fee's then all 3 of your checks amount to together, make the 3 hour trip or try to call your pre load sup and have him mail them. It sounds to me like they are not holding your checks but you have just not picked them up....so no the union can't help you there. Good Luck Shop Stewart in California
  13. feederdriver06

    feederdriver06 former monkey slave

    A few years ago a friend of mine punched in, drove out of the building, parked the truck around the other side of the building and left a note along with the DIAD in the truck that said "I'M DONE". They mailed him his final paychecks even though he never turned in his uniforms or ID.
  14. bluehdmc

    bluehdmc Well-Known Member

    In my state, (NJ) they cannot hold your checks for uniforms or anything else. Although they can try, I had 1 employer do this, I'd actually turned in the uniforms but they never asked my manager. I contacted the Labor Dept they sent me a form but I recieved my checks around the same time. Also in NJ the fine is $50, so especially in the case of uniforms the employer would rather pay the fine. I'm sure your checks are sitting in someones desk, whatever, if you call again and they say they will mail them ask the person who states that what their name is. Ask them to spell it if it isn't something simple like Jones, this way they think your writing it down, if you don't recieve the checks in a reasonable amount of time call again and say you spoke to whoever or ask for that person. Of course if you called in the last couple of weeks (during peak) leaving a voicemail about an exemployees paycheck at the height of peak is going to get PROMPT attention! NOT!

    Take a ride go visit your parents and go pick up your checks, I don't know about your 2yr statute of limitations but my checks used to say "valid for 6 months"
  15. New Englander

    New Englander New Member

    Any vacations bid from January to May most likely.

    HEFFERNAN Huge Member

    Stop being a lazy bastard and go get your checks.

    COMMON SENSE , few have it I guess
  17. Channahon

    Channahon New Member

    Direct deposit would have been the way to go. You wouldn't be in this situation.
    And how do you get 3 weeks behind in your checks, anyway?
  18. Big Babooba

    Big Babooba Well-Known Member

    In the New England Supplement the year runs from May 1 to April 30 for vacations, sick days and optional holidays. It is conceivable that a person who quits in December would be owed unused vacation time.
  19. pickup

    pickup Well-Known Member

    How can it be common sense if few have it? If only a few have it, it would be rare sense
  20. brownrodster

    brownrodster New Member

    Who's laughing now? You are the guy who quit and disappeared and is talking about taking UPS to court. It would serve you right if your checks were still sitting on a desk somewhere in your old UPS hub.