Quit Yesterday

quad decade guy

No, leaving UPS with something better lined up is a win.
We'll see.....

When I was in Automotive.....we had several guys leave....hotheads all.....they all tried to come back....after being out in the cold, cruel world. I guess they missed all that vacation and free healthcare....not to mention the best pay...in arguably, the world.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
We'll see.....

When I was in Automotive.....we had several guys leave....hotheads all.....they all tried to come back....after being out in the cold, cruel world. I guess they missed all that vacation and free healthcare....not to mention the best pay...in arguably, the world.
Lol.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Well, this could surely get you fired quickly/eventually. You don't get to just do what you want. A quick verbal instruction to don't do this ^ and that starts the disciplinary process. The smartest thing to do is just leave with the truck as loaded.......it'll get fixed.
I do it everyday. They don’t discipline here for it. You’re high

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Walked into the center in the morning with 240 stops on my rural route. There will obviously be missed after 12 hours of delivering along with everyone else in the center. Problem started when we were all told that nothing could be left in the center. Every package including those that won't be delivered need to go with us on the truck. I will skip the rest here, but there was a lot of yelling going back and forth between drivers, supervisors and the center manager. Eventually they settled with fitting as many packages as possible and they will come around and make sure there's no room to fit in more.

So how bad was it? I pulled my first 10 stops out and left the center with them in the cab because I couldn't walk into the back. I brought 2 air containers with me to hold small packages in the cab. I continued like that for 38 stops. In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.

This company sets you up to fail. They'd rather have numbers that show everyone left the center early and that they kept the center clean of packages... even though it will lower everyone's stops per hour to the ground from not being able to grab and sort the back of the truck.

After 47 stops I decided I had enough. Called in a vehicle breakdown to waste time and got towed back an hour later. Center manager says they got a van ready for me to deliver in, so start moving the packages from the truck, which the mechanic will look at later. Told him I'm taking a lunch break right then, he goes ballistic. I sit there and eat while he yells threats. Of course I don't care because I'm already quitting. I punch out after my lunch break, walk by his office and tell him all the packages are loaded and ready for him to deliver. Then I walked out.

Another package runner bites the dust for UPS, hope whoever gets my route can handle the stops per hour. I expect a lot of call ins or maybe even more people quitting on monday, because whatever happened with me happened to everyone else as well.

Before anyone asks, I have another job lined up that I'm exciting about even though it pays less. Wish you guys success with this job.
1619967636161.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I agree.

My money is on not very long(being a driver).

More important.... was the OP a dues paying Union member ?

I would add to take pictures....but only bring them out as they try to fire you.....

At a time when there wasn't cell phones to take pictures which could have been construed as stealing time....btw.

If it involves anyones personal safety and not displaying any "proprietary company information" pics are good.

Why do people start these threads.... never to return and answer questions ?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
What is the point of completely bricking out the cars the way they do? Turn 5 seconds to get a package into 5 minutes. I couldn't walk through the back until 3pm the other day.
So there are two thoughts here:
1. The driver will struggle for a bit then hit a very high SPORH once he can move around

That DOES mostly happen, BUT there are hard limits to it, mentally and physically and UPS usually blows past those limits

2. A center can make excuses about not getting everything out to cover up a bad dispatch, but if you shove it all out now it's on the driver's and ORS to make happen and more often than not they succeed, albeit at great cost

I personally hate bricked package cars with a passion, having loaded them, delivered them, and dispatched them; we really really don't understand how much lost time it costs us

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
So there are two thoughts here:
1. The driver will struggle for a bit then hit a very high SPORH once he can move around

That DOES mostly happen, BUT there are hard limits to it, mentally and physically and UPS usually blows past those limits

2. A center can make excuses about not getting everything out to cover up a bad dispatch, but if you shove it all out now it's on the driver's and ORS to make happen and more often than not they succeed, albeit at great cost

I personally hate bricked package cars with a passion, having loaded them, delivered them, and dispatched them; we really really don't understand how much lost time it costs us
We’ve had a couple drivers recently get injured specifically from fighting these bricked out loads. Mgmt will have a PCM the next day about proper lifting and lowering, but they never take any blame for their part in building unreasonable dispatches and pushing unreasonable performance standards. They rely on runners that will “get it done” for them, and never speak up for themselves.

The attitude that “it will work itself out eventually” works for some, but not everyone.

ManInBrown

The one thing you can do as a package car driver, that drives them nuts more than anything. Show up to work every single day with a care free attitude, and zero fks to give. Big smile on your face. Drives them absolutely nuts. Bricked package car, oh well. Guess I’ll be bringing it in at 10:30pm with 50 missed. Your problem, not mine. They’ll look at you like there’s something wrong with you. When you act mad and pissed off and you complain. In their eyes it lets them know you care. That’s what they want. They want you invested in the process. Problem is you’re not paid to be invested to come up with solutions to problems. That’s their job. They took the decision making process out of drivers hands with Orion. Now I’m not saying don’t take pride in the job you do. I always did, but don’t stoop to their level with their dumb games.

Last edited:

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
The one thing you can do as a package car driver, that drives them nuts more than anything. Show up to work every single day with a care free attitude, and zero fks to give. Big smile on your face. Drives them absolutely nuts. Bricked package car, oh well. Guess I’ll be bringing it in at 10:30pm with 50 missed. Your problem, not mine. They’ll look at you like there’s something wrong with you. When you act mad and pissed off and you complain. In their eyes it lets them know you care. That’s what they want. They want you invested in the process. Problem is you’re not paid to be invested to come up with solutions to problems. That’s their job. They took the decision making process out of drivers hands with Orion. Now I’m not saying don’t take pride in the job you do. I always did, but don’t stoop to their level with their dumb games.
To me, taking pride in my job is treating customers and the truck with respect and not be a lazy ass as far as work pace. There is a fine line. When you start, it’s all about going as fast as you can without friend’ing anything up
Now, for me anyway, it’s go AS SLOW as I can without ever being lazy. Smooth and steady. No jerking, no bending over at my waist, no rushing, none of that bs. I’ll keep working and won’t stop until my breaks and lunch though, you better believe it.
It’s like a big dance.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I’m not gonna call the op a wuss. He had enough and actually did something about it instead of sticking around and complaining all the time. Good on him.
I’m just so desensitized, I would be laughing the whole day from start to 10:30 with the scenario he described. I also would never leave the center with pkgs in the cab. To me that would be a fun stress free day cause if I can’t find anything, I can’t find anything, there’s nothing I can do. I’ll keep pulling them all out slowly and putting them back in every stop, lol

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

No, you can’t be fired for that. Continue sending in those messages. Put it on them. It’s their job to manage, make them do their job. If you’re over dispatched, it’s their job to fix that, not yours. Just worry about delivering packages and picking up packages in a safe and timely manner.

Ah, I see. Interesting....

BnAEWXbCEAAHmyI.jpeg

Dear Diary

UPS PC Slave
Why leave with a bricked out car? Leave some sht out of the truck that’s too large and a later delivery and have them bring it to you.
I do it everyday.
They hate me for it and I can move around in my truck.
Big W for the driver

Did you read what I posted? Not able to leave the building without fitting as many packages in as possible, so management can take blame off themselves since the center is cleared of packages.

How many years driving? Can't imagine just walking away once you're too rate. If you can live fine on a lot less then congrats.

Top rate in Canada is equal to $25 USD. UPS driver in Canada is not an in demand career, it has a high turnover rate. I was at UPS for 8 years and was almost at the top of the seniority list, which is how I got an easy rural route.

Seymour Packages

Did you read what I posted? Not able to leave the building without fitting as many packages in as possible, so management can take blame off themselves since the center is cleared of packages.

Top rate in Canada is equal to $25 USD. UPS driver in Canada is not an in demand career, it has a high turnover rate. I was at UPS for 8 years and was almost at the top of the seniority list, which is how I got an easy rural route.
Of course UPS isn't an in demand job in Canada. 90% of guys at UPS put up with this nonsense for the health insurance. You see, low cost health insurance is a luxury in the US. In Canada, you don't have that added pressure.

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

Why leave with a bricked out car? Leave some sht out of the truck that’s too large and a later delivery and have them bring it to you.
I do it everyday.
They hate me for it and I can move around in my truck.
Big W for the driver

But usually, as you are pulling out of your bay, the supervisor or dispatch supervisor yells and says "Hey, 60lbBagofdogfood, open the back of your truck, you are forgetting pieces.".....