R.I.P. Gordie Howe

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I thought he was about 60 or so.
I know a lot of people (from the Northern climes) thought he was the best hockey player ever.
I apologize for the sideways compliment but I never watched any hockey and the only player I knew was Wayne Gretzky because of "skate to the puck".

oldngray

nowhere special
Howe is also known for the “Gordie Howe Hat Trick,” which involves a player scoring a goal, recording an assist and getting into a fight in a single game.

I forgot about that claim to fame of his.

I did remember he played on a team with his sons when he was in his 40's.

Last edited:

ViewAskew

I had the pleasure of meeting him and eating dinner with him at a junior hockey banquet when I was in high school. A class act all the way. Even in his early 70s at that point he was still an imposing figure.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Howe is also known for the “Gordie Howe Hat Trick,” which involves a player scoring a goal, recording an assist and getting into a fight in a single game.

I forget about that claim to fame of his.

I did remember he played on a team with his sons when he was in his 40's.
Due to his longevity he was one of the all time scores in the NHL.

upschuck

upload_2016-6-11_12-54-11.png

oldngray

nowhere special
He came back and played 1 shift with the Vipers, for some reason that I don't remember.

The Vipers made headlines in 1997-98 by signing Hockey Hall of Fame winger Gordie Howe to a 1-day contract. Howe, 69 years old at the time of the game, suited up for the Vipers and played one shift. The publicity stunt was intended to drum up interest in the club as well as afford Howe the opportunity to play a professional hockey game in six consecutive decades.
Detroit Vipers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

upschuck

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
He played with his sons on the NE Whalers of the WHA , then they moved on to nhl to become the Hartford Whalers