R.I.P. Rob Grill

raceanoncr

[h=2]Tuesday, July 12, 2011[/h][h=3]Rob Grill of the Grass Roots Passes Away at 67[/h]
Rob Grill, the bass player and lead singer on most of the hits of the Grass Roots, passed away on Monday morning at the age of 67. Grill fell about four weeks ago and has been battling a subdural hematoma.

His wife, Nancy Grill, issued the following statement:

My dear husband Robert Frank Grill, 67, of Mt Dora, Fl passed away peacefully in my arms at 11:37 a.m. (EST), while listening to one of his favorite songs…”Let’s Live for Today.” He loved his fans and he loved The Grass Roots! Thank you for all of your prayers, love and support during this time.​
Grill was a child of Los Angeles, attending Hollywood High, and after graduating he began working at American Recording Studios with Cory Wells (Three Dog Night) and John Kay (Steppenwolf).

In 1966, Grill was recruited into an existing version of the Grass Roots (the third incarnation) with Creed Bratton (now of The Office), Rick Coonce and Warren Entner. In the summer of 1967, they had their first hit, Let's Live For Today which peaked at number 8. They followed with numerous charting records highlighted by Midnight Confessions (1968/#5), I'd Wait a Million Years (1969/#15), Temptation Eyes (1970/#15), Sooner or Later (1971/#9) and Two Divided by Love (1971/#16).

Throughout this period, the group had numerous personnel changes but Grill stayed on as the lead singer. The band broke up in 1976 but Grill kept working with the name, releasing an album of rerecorded hits in 1978.

Grill started a solo career the next year but, when interest in the band started to grow again a few years later, he formed a new version to hit the touring circuit. For the rest of his life, he handled the group name and did numerous appearances.

Read more: http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2011/07/rob-grill-of-grass-roots-passes-away-at.html#ixzz1Rtu9ZveS