Racist customers

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
At what point during a customers racist diatribe does my obligation as an employee to remain silent end and my obligation as a human being to tell him to shut the friend///k up begin?

Had a sig required pkg for a white trash hillbilly today. I'd never been there before, his dog was barking at me, so I offered it a biscuit. The hillbilly told me not to give it a biscuit because he wanted to keep it "mean enough so it would bite those :censored2: Mexicans" that had the audacity to be doing farm work for minimum wage in the filbert orchard across the road from his home. He them went on a racist rant that I wont share here while I stood and waited for him to sign the DIAD. I'm white, so his comments werent directed at me personally, but I still found them offensive and it took all the willpower I had to keep my mouth shut and act polite instead of confronting him about his hateful ignorance.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
BTW I did not start this thread to debate immigration. Reasonable people can have a wide variety of opinions on immigration policy without being hateful and racist.

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
Mexican isn't a race. Its an ethnic group so it would be a matter of prejudice instead of racism. Either way it sucks to be stuck listening to someone rant like that. Normally drivers pretty much have to keep their mouth shut and imitate furniture. If you open your mouth to protest and the guy calls in a complaint do you think UPS would support you or listen to him?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
More than once in delivery I had to bite my tongue and walk away from a similar situation, it's really a no win because regardless of what you say you're not going to change that persons opinions and all you might get out of it is a complaint.
It's kind of funny how just because you're white they assume you hold the opinions as they do.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
More than once in delivery I had to bite my tongue and walk away from a similar situation, it's really a no win because regardless of what you say you're not going to change that persons opinions and all you might get out of it is a complaint.
It's kind of funny how just because you're white they assume you hold the opinions as they do.

Exactly!

You could have sped the wthillbilly up by saying you needed to get going before "those Mexicans" steal the wheels off your PC.

Seriously though, nothing you can say or do will change this person or those like him so the best you can do is tune him out and get him to sign ASAP.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I spend most of my day ignoring people who have a racist, sexist, or ethnic dislike. I think to my self, yes this is why I am close to being a hermit. And I am here to make money, not friends, and I will never change some idiot view of his world. I like everyone equally and once you prove you are an idiot, I dislike you equally. Immigration, racism, does not even come in to play. Education is what separates them from us. That is why we are here, and they are answering the door. They come in all colors and ethnicities. I ignore the blacks who call me white bi*** the same way I ignore the other racist, sexist terms, I hear from the white people. A little education and worldliness will open the eyes, just a wee bit.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
I deliver in hillbilly country and have a bunch of pickups. You know how the want us to ask the customers if they are going to be open for holidays and MLK is one of those. Well I don't ask anymore and I called my sup up and said I would not be subjected to the insults any longer. People suck

Ouch

It would not be worth a trip to the managers office. What ever you say to a racist person is not going to change their way of thinking. It would be a mute point. People are truly ignorant and believe they are a superior being and they deserve some special treatment. Just plug your ears and let their ignorance shine thru.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
This clown must have some intelligent dogs. I mean, here's my wife's dog drinking out of the toilet and chasing its own tail, and here's this guys dogs, they are able to differentiate between a Caucasian and a Latino. Too bad he couldn't train them to do something useful.

dog-reading-book-mein-kampf-hitler-1387762025T.gif

some1else

Banned
I have no idea what your ethnic or racial background is, but I do know that you ain't even know your @ss from a hole in the ground.

Go back into Mommy's basement and let the grownups alone.
What does someones ethinic or racial background have to do with the argument? Are you implying its ok for persons of a certain race to say things that would not be acceptable if said by someone of another race?
You know that sounds a little...

On topic: we have several drivers who went back to the city after trying country routes and decided the people out there where a bit too racist. I think someone who makes a driver feel unwelcome doing his job is pretty ignorant. But it is their house and property, and if they are bad enough get managment approval to will-call all packages

PhatAzz

Had a sig required pkg for a white trash hillbilly today.

I don't think any particular race has a monopoly on ignorance. Some people are :censored2:ed up, color doesn't make the difference. Get what you need from them and then walk away so you can go on to the next stop. A blank stare and no words necessary.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What does someones ethinic or racial background have to do with the argument? Are you implying its ok for persons of a certain race to say things that would not be acceptable if said by someone of another race?
You know that sounds a little...

Actually, I felt as though "ain't got a clue about anything" was agreeing with the DB rant that Sober had to endure.

I was not implying anything about when or where that sort of rant is acceptable.