Radio Box?

Avalon

Avalon
Okay. I have worked at UPS as a feeder driver for around a year and have done so with no radio. I am about to lose my mind!

Call me picky, but I would not feel comfortable with a big radio box with speakers sitting on my passenger seat
causing me to turn my head if I need to adjust something on it.

I see a lot of fellows that I work with carrying these radio boxes with just the radio, CB and the necessary wiring to
hook it up to the truck speakers and power. Plus it is small enough to be strapped to the dash without blocking the
view. Whenever I ask somebody about where they got their box or if they made
their box I get the run around (they don't remember, the person who made it retired or died, wait at a certain door on Thursday
night when the moon is full for a man named cowboy and he will know the guy that is a second cousin of the girls brother who
makes this box).

Anyway, this seems like it's some sort of big secret.
I am just wondering if anybody knows who makes/sells the radio boxes without the speakers.
And if you have one to sell I would be happy to look at pics of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance :)

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Just buy a plywood shelf and cut it dowm to fit what you want. I took a cheap Sony car stereo and screwed the DIN mount to the board then slid the deck in. You can bolt a CB bracket to that too. Then make a power distribution block and have one long power wire feeding that and two speaker wires in cable shrouding so it will easily fit various tractors. Add a power outlet for your phone charger and some ring mounts for bungees.

​Some guys cut up a Pelican case, briefcase, or toolbox and put it all in there.

I have always made my own. Most decent radios come with a remote so putting the radio on the seat is no biggie and you should build a box with provisions to seatbelt it in anyway. Some ctrs won't let you put one on the dash because of the obstructed view and that it will fly around the cabin in a crash.

pretender

I have always made my own. Most decent radios come with a remote so putting the radio on the seat is no biggie and you should build a box with provisions to seatbelt it in anyway. Some ctrs won't let you put one on the dash because of the obstructed view and that it will fly around the cabin in a crash.

Most people who have been in an accident will usually tell you that the radio is the first thing to go flying around the cab.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I worked in package for 34 years, and like 104 said, I used to mount a car radio and speakers in the smallest and cheapest toolbox they would fit. Add a fused power wire and ground and one of those stubby rubber antennas and you're good to go.

TheDick

A cheap set of desktop cans with subwoofer inside a homemade box are cheap and bump loud! Plug your mp3 into it and off you go.

JL 0513

Wow, I thought all the feeder tractors had radios automatically built in buy the manufacturer. That's pathetic.

bluehdmc

When is UPS going to join the 21st century and just order tractors with radios?

The new tractors have radios, basically because it's cheaper than having the radio hookups, (it's all about the bottom line). I just wonder what's gonna happen 5yrs down the line when and if the radio breaks. Will it get repaired or??????

bluehdmc

I don't have a new tractor so I mounted a radio in this:Amazon.com: Metra 99-9000 Dash Kit For Uni Under Dash Full Shroud: Automotive
This is meant to be screwed to a dashboard or van roof or something like that. I put a piece of plastic sheet on top and mounted a CB on top of that. Tomorrow I'll try to take a picture of it. I used this radio:JHD1130 Jensen Heavy Duty New for 2013
The Jensen Heavy Duty radios will hold the memory for the clock and radio settings, (according to then up to 30 days). Which makes it nice when you keep changing tractors. I put Velcro on the bottom and use small bungee cords to hold it down. With the CB on top it does stick up a little bit, without it's no problem. Its right in front so you don't have to look at the seat to adjust the volume or change stations.

bluehdmc

The new tractors have radios, (AM-FM even!) basically because it's cheaper than having the radio hookups, (it's all about the bottom line). I just wonder what's gonna happen 5yrs down the line when and if the radio breaks. Will it get repaired or??????

over9five

Staff member
The new tractors have radios, basically because it's cheaper than having the radio hookups, (it's all about the bottom line). I just wonder what's gonna happen 5yrs down the line when and if the radio breaks. Will it get repaired or??????

​No. We have already had the new radios fail. The shop will not repair them.

pretender

I don't have a new tractor so I mounted a radio in this:Amazon.com: Metra 99-9000 Dash Kit For Uni Under Dash Full Shroud: Automotive
This is meant to be screwed to a dashboard or van roof or something like that. I put a piece of plastic sheet on top and mounted a CB on top of that. Tomorrow I'll try to take a picture of it. I used this radio:JHD1130 Jensen Heavy Duty New for 2013
The Jensen Heavy Duty radios will hold the memory for the clock and radio settings, (according to then up to 30 days). Which makes it nice when you keep changing tractors. I put Velcro on the bottom and use small bungee cords to hold it down. With the CB on top it does stick up a little bit, without it's no problem. Its right in front so you don't have to look at the seat to adjust the volume or change stations.

Nice!

S

serenity now

GMAFB / You guys are pondering if a radio will be repaired at some point in the future, and I have leaks in the cab of my truck that have not been fixed.