Radios and the current contract.

Z

ZQXC

I searched the forum, but all threads pertained to old contract language.

Section 8. Radios

Radios will be allowed in package cars. Such radios shall not inhibit the driver’s view, nor shall they be unsecured.

("Transistor" is now struck from the language.)

Based on the current language, does anyone see a problem here? This has become a topic of discussion in my center and I'd like to get some outside opinions.

View attachment 33603

You carry that thing in each day just so you can have a radio?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The same way you're wrong when you post in the form of a statement.

If you cannot reach it to plah with the controls, how os it distracting you?

I posed the question to try to figure out the reasoning behind their decision.

I don't carry or see the reason to carry a radio on board during the day. I have a city run-----when would I have time to listen to it?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I don't carry or see the reason to carry a radio on board during the day. I have a city run-----when would I have time to listen to it?
You might want to try it?
It's not a TV and doesn't require your undivided attention to follow along.
Keeps me on an even keel, smoothing out the highs and lows.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

To and from the building, and on trips back to the truck

My furthest drive is to and from the center---a whole 2 miles. Delivery stops are one right after the other. No time for tunes.

I suspect at some point in the day you're in the package car for 30-45 seconds. It's nice to hear some music to break up the boredom of the day. Heck, I've even been known to walk up to a house whistling or singing along. It puts me in a better mood which made for a smoother day of deliveries, for management, not me :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To and from the building, and on trips back to the truck

I suspect at some point in the day you're in the package car for 30-45 seconds. It's nice to hear some music to break up the boredom of the day. Heck, I've even been known to walk up to a house whistling or singing along. It puts me in a better mood which made for a smoother day of deliveries, for management, not me :)

It would be like when they play music during a stoppage in play in a hockey game. The song would have barely started before it was time to turn it off.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
You carry that thing in each day just so you can have a radio?

Yes I do. Love having my radio. It has an iPhone charging dock on the top (which I rarely use but it's nice to have), gets great reception and is durable. I enjoy being able to listen to my Giants during baseball season (I work long hours so I actually catch most of the night games). It cranks up loud so I can even hear it outside of the package car while making a stop. I've only been asked a handful of times to turn it down.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
It's gonna be amusing when one of the drivers at our hub torches his package car because of a radio being wired up to the vehicle rather than just buying batteries and avoiding all that. Almost happened the other day actually, some driver had power running under the battery cover (metal) to his radio and was stepping on the cover all day making deliveries and rubbing the wire.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's gonna be amusing when one of the drivers at our hub torches his package car because of a radio being wired up to the vehicle rather than just buying batteries and avoiding all that. Almost happened the other day actually, some driver had power running under the battery cover (metal) to his radio and was stepping on the cover all day making deliveries and rubbing the wire.
It's happened in feeders. Burnt to the ground.

In some areas, they make them take out their radios and CB's everyday or at least unplug them.

Although a lot of the new tractors are finally starting to come with factory radios installed.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Whats even better is if the in dash radio breaks they have been replacing them with better radios that have bluetooth streaming
Here is a pic of radio hookups in our old trucks

Attachments

• 1428083797277.jpg
    1428083797277.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 207

TurboSnail

Transistor : a solid-state electronic device that is used to control the flow of electricity in electronic equipment and usually consists of a small block of a semiconductor (as germanium) with at least three electrodes

I may be wrong but I believe the language was changed because of advancements in technology. Don't think mp3 players or Bluetooth radios have transistors. Secured radios out of your line of sight are allowed.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Transistor : a solid-state electronic device that is used to control the flow of electricity in electronic equipment and usually consists of a small block of a semiconductor (as germanium) with at least three electrodes

I may be wrong but I believe the language was changed because of advancements in technology. Don't think mp3 players or Bluetooth radios have transistors. Secured radios out of your line of sight are allowed.
Yes they do. Quite a few of them.