radios in package cars

dragos

i was wondering if anyone knew where you could hook battery clips in a 800 to power a radio? I know i could hook on the battery but its not the safest place so i was wondering if there is anywhere else i could hook in to.

Johney

I'm quite sure hooking them to the truck in any way is not allowed anymore as we had two or three trucks catch fire in our building because one had a radio hot wired.

alwaysoverallowed

Don't hook it up to your pc it's considered theft, ups pays for dead batteries; it's also been covered in the grievance panel. Just get one that's rechargeable, ryobi makes one and their battery is interchangeable with a flashlight; very useful in the mid-Atlantic after daylight savings.

517582.jpg

Red to Red, use your head.

Red to Black, ahhahh ahhh put it out, put it out.
517582.jpg

UPSGUY72

i was wondering if anyone knew where you could hook battery clips in a 800 to power a radio? I know i could hook on the battery but its not the safest place so i was wondering if there is anywhere else i could hook in to.

If you want to have a long career with UPS DON'T try hooking your radio up to the power supply on your package car.

Spend a little money and get a rechargable battery or do what most of us drivers do leave your radio at home.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You didnt hear this from me, but....

If your P-800 is an 80's or early 90's vintage GMC model, it has a toggle switch above the bulkhead door for the cab and package compartment lights.

Its a "3-way" switch, with 3 blades on the back side. The middle blade is always hot. You can run the wires from your radio up above the door, held in place with a bulldog clamp, and connect your hot wire to that middle blade with a roach clip. The metal plate that the toggle switch is mounted on is grounded to the body of the vehicle, so your negative wire can clamp on to that with another roach clip.

This is a safer method because you are hooking into a circuit that has its own fuse, so if you have a brain fart and get the wires crossed you will blow a fuse instead of starting a fire. Do not ever hook anything directly up to the battery.

The better choice would be to not hook anything up at all, but if you are gonna do it anyway then make sure you do it right.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You didnt hear this from me, but....

If your P-800 is an 80's or early 90's vintage GMC model, it has a toggle switch above the bulkhead door for the cab and package compartment lights.

Its a "3-way" switch, with 3 blades on the back side. The middle blade is always hot. You can run the wires from your radio up above the door, held in place with a bulldog clamp, and connect your hot wire to that middle blade with a roach clip. The metal plate that the toggle switch is mounted on is grounded to the body of the vehicle, so your negative wire can clamp on to that with another roach clip.

This is a safer method because you are hooking into a circuit that has its own fuse, so if you have a brain fart and get the wires crossed you will blow a fuse instead of starting a fire. Do not ever hook anything directly up to the battery.

The better choice would be to not hook anything up at all, but if you are gonna do it anyway then make sure you do it right.

What's a roach clip?

tourists24

black and decker radio.jpg
This is a black and decker radio with a rechargeable battery. You can also play your ipod or mp3 with it. Play it all day and take it home for a recharge at night. Best radio Ive ever had on the package car. Only one speaker but it is loud enough to listen to over the engine noise
black and decker radio.jpg

upsman68

If you want to have a long career with UPS DON'T try hooking your radio up to the power supply on your package car.

Spend a little money and get a rechargable battery or do what most of us drivers do leave your radio at home.

We don't leave our radios at home in our center. I say about 75 percent of drivers use a Milwaukee or Dewalt radio.

They are nice plus you can hook up your ipod to it and also has a 12v hookup on the back to charge your phone or do you leave that at home also? :)

rod

Retired 22 years
I still have my radio (complete with roach clips). Served me well for many years- infact I still use it in my camper. :happy2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I still have my radio (complete with roach clips). Served me well for many years- infact I still use it in my camper. :happy2:

Do you still use the roach clips for other things.....:wink2:just wondering, I did grow up in the '70s.

rod

Retired 22 years
Do you still use the roach clips for other things.....:wink2:just wondering, I did grow up in the '70s.

:happy2: I will admit that in my youth and while in Vietnam I did partake in a little wacky tabaccy but its been many years since I've indulged. Now if it were made legal tomorrow - who knows. I have a feeling my first toke would go something like this video I took of my old p/t preload sup::happy-very: