radios in package cars

iowa boy

Didn't anyone hear about the recent "thermal event" that took place in Brainerd MN? Apparently a Feeder driver had hooked up a radio in his tractor and the wires shorted out and burned up the tractor to the point it was considered a total loss. Two package cars and the roof of the building also suffered damage from this "thermal event". Needless to say, the tractor driver is no longer employed by UPS due to the lack of judgment that was used in making this decision.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Didn't anyone hear about the recent "thermal event" that took place in Brainerd MN? Apparently a Feeder driver had hooked up a radio in his tractor and the wires shorted out and burned up the tractor to the point it was considered a total loss. Two package cars and the roof of the building also suffered damage from this "thermal event". Needless to say, the tractor driver is no longer employed by UPS due to the lack of judgment that was used in making this decision.

How do you go home and tell your family that you lost your job because you were doing something stupid?

over9five

Staff member

Not sure I believe this for two reasons:

1. UPS provides Feeder drivers with terminals in all tractors to hook up a radio. I think if something shorted, a fuse would have blown AND IF IT DIDN'T it wouldn't be the drivers fault.

2. There would have been some announcement or warning in all Feeder locations.

Of course, it could have happened - and if it did - I believe the driver will get his job back.

iowa boy

Further infomation on this post:

This happened last Saturday the 13th in Brainerd Mn. I believe the slic is 5640, but don't quote me on that. Supervisor was notified shortly after noon about the fire inside the facility involving this tractor. Upon inspection by fire dept to determine cause, the fire started on or around the passenger seat inside the cab due to the higher temps seen in that area. It was known that this tractor had a wooden box on passenger seat with a radio built into the box. As previously stated, two package cars received fire and heat damage from this, and the building's electrical system was damaged and it was stated that some lights within building were not working due to the fire. One package car sustained damage to one complete side including the fiberglass side on top and to the roof. The other car received damage to the rear including the back door that will have to be replaced.

I can obtain the official title and name of the supervisor that sent out this email next week at work. I will not post the name publicly but will post the title so this info can be verified.

Over9, this is a true story, but this happened in the central region so it may take time to filter out to the coasts.

I will update this as I obtain more information.

I do not know for certain this driver is unemployed, but we all know the driver will be ultimately held responsible for this. He may get his job back if indeed he was terminated, I don't know. But with the amount of damage caused by this, Im not sure.

over9five

Staff member
Over9, this is a true story, but this happened in the central region so it may take time to filter out to the coasts.

Sorry, I did not mean to post that like I thought you were making that up. I just meant I don't think a driver in this situation would remain fired.
I'll let you know if we hear anything about it here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, I did not mean to post that like I thought you were making that up. I just meant I don't think a driver in this situation would remain fired.
I'll let you know if we hear anything about it here.

Destroying a feeder cab and damaging two adjacent package cars because of an illegal radio hook-up and he may get his job back? I'm confused--you are OK with this but not with a FT driver with a DUI displacing two PT employees?

For the record, if this story is true, I don't think he should get his job back. I also don't think it is fair for a FT driver with a DUI to displace two PT employees.

over9five

Staff member
Destroying a feeder cab and damaging two adjacent package cars because of an illegal radio hook-up and he may get his job back? I'm confused--you are OK with this but not with a FT driver with a DUI displacing two PT employees?

We don't know if it was an illegal hook-up. All tractors have radio hook-ups already installed. I would assume, and hope, that they are fused. If the driver had his radio hooked up to the tractor radio terminals, and there was a fire, I would say it is possible that it wasn't fused, or fused wrong, and NOT the drivers fault.

brett636

For the record, if this story is true, I don't think he should get his job back. I also don't think it is fair for a FT driver with a DUI to displace two PT employees.

Radios wired into the truck in feeders are not illegal as the connections are built into every truck for this exact purpose. Having a radio makes the day go by smoother. Sounds like something was wired wrong causing a short and then the fire. There were pics of the truck in our dispatch office here in Indy, and a lot of guys were wondering if this means the company was going to crack down on how radios are setup in the trucks.

Going back to the original post, when I was air driving I brought a long a little radio shack radio that I purchased for $30 or so. I just powered it on the 4 C batteries it required and would replace them every 4-5 weeks. It wasn't very loud, but it was loud enough to hear it over the package car. I do recall a PCM stating that we could not wire radios directly into the package cars due to fires in other buildings, and for me atleast I was in a different PC everyday so wiring one in would have been pointless. My suggestion is to just go with rechargeable batteries and a radio that you can hear.

We don't know if it was an illegal hook-up. All tractors have radio hook-ups already installed. I would assume, and hope, that they are fused. If the driver had his radio hooked up to the tractor radio terminals, and there was a fire, I would say it is possible that it wasn't fused, or fused wrong, and NOT the drivers fault.

While it is definitely not a illegal hookup they may hold him responsible if his radio box had shoddy wiring. Yes I know it`s a stretch but take a glance at some of the half-ass radios that some guys put together. If they don`t have the skills they should have someone build it for them. While I have never seen anyone`s radio inspected by management I would not be surprised to see it become policy if too many tractors go crispy.

iowa boy

Going by the choice of words used in the email, the fire originated in or around the box with the radio that was on the passenger seat. Now I don't know where the radio hookups are in the the tractor, but I can't believe they are that close to the passenger seat.

over9five

Staff member
Going by the choice of words used in the email, the fire originated in or around the box with the radio that was on the passenger seat. Now I don't know where the radio hookups are in the the tractor, but I can't believe they are that close to the passenger seat.

Generally, high on the dash. As I consider it further, I suppose it could have sparked as it blew the fuse and ignited something. I bet they end up telling us to disconnect everything before we leave the tractor for the day.

Most of us take ours out everyday even though we have assigned tractors. Nothing like coming to work to find some
as(person)e has used your ride and smoked your speakers playing the latest boom-boom music.

If it went toasty on the seat then it was a short within the box. The drivers is responsible in the company's eyes on that one for sure.

rod

Retired 22 years
You people that automatically blame the driver make me sick. I once had a P-800 burn up on me that was caused by the main wire on the altenator breaking and shorting out against the engine block. I had to show the team of six goons that were brought in that wire as they already had their pea brains made up that it was my fault. Until the actual facts are released stop second guessing and gossiping.

iowa boy

You people that automatically blame the driver make me sick. I once had a P-800 burn up on me that was caused by the main wire on the altenator breaking and shorting out against the engine block. I had to show the team of six goons that were brought in that wire as they already had their pea brains made up that it was my fault. Until the actual facts are released stop second guessing and gossiping.

Rod,

I'm not blaming the driver for this. I am basing my information on the email that I have read and the summary of the inspection report by the fire dept. You worked for UPS long enough to know that come hell or high water, UPS will try and pin this on the driver if there is any possibility it was caused by him or her.

S

speeddemon

I built a radio that uses a 12V home security system battery. I have charging posts on the outside of the box and I charge it every night. And yes, it ROCKS!