radios in package cars

YesYouDidPushAButton

This was in our center last year, we lost 4 loaded P-1000's. This was around 645 in the morning, preload was almost wrapped, about 150 stops in each truck. I was clipped onto my battery. After seeing this in person, I have a small rechargeable radio now. I'm on the belt behind this, my truck stunk for months.

45180_107142172675418_100001389086981_66155_6138179_n.jpg

44392_107142366008732_100001389086981_66156_5468693_n.jpg

44392_107142369342065_100001389086981_66157_4022784_n.jpg

44392_107142372675398_100001389086981_66158_428983_n.jpg

over9five

Staff member
This was in our center last year, we lost 4 loaded P-1000's. This was around 645 in the morning, preload was almost wrapped, about 150 stops in each truck. I was clipped onto my battery. After seeing this in person, I have a small rechargeable radio now. I'm on the belt behind this, my truck stunk for months.

Are you saying you caused it? Just wondering... Apparently you're still here.

rod

Retired 22 years
Further infomation on this post:

This happened last Saturday the 13th in Brainerd Mn. I believe the slic is 5640, but don't quote me on that. Supervisor was notified shortly after noon about the fire inside the facility involving this tractor. Upon inspection by fire dept to determine cause, the fire started on or around the passenger seat inside the cab due to the higher temps seen in that area. It was known that this tractor had a wooden box on passenger seat with a radio built into the box. As previously stated, two package cars received fire and heat damage from this, and the building's electrical system was damaged and it was stated that some lights within building were not working due to the fire. One package car sustained damage to one complete side including the fiberglass side on top and to the roof. The other car received damage to the rear including the back door that will have to be replaced.

I can obtain the official title and name of the supervisor that sent out this email next week at work. I will not post the name publicly but will post the title so this info can be verified.

Over9, this is a true story, but this happened in the central region so it may take time to filter out to the coasts.

I will update this as I obtain more information.

I do not know for certain this driver is unemployed, but we all know the driver will be ultimately held responsible for this. He may get his job back if indeed he was terminated, I don't know. But with the amount of damage caused by this, Im not sure.

I talked to a driver who works out of this center the other day and according to him nobody has been fired or suspended for this incedent -------------yet. Also apparently this tractor had been involved in a nasty collision with a deer a few days before. If UPS hasn't fired someone yet I would say they apparently haven't figured out what the hell happened. This is all second hand info so who knows?

TheKid

I have been using a DeWalt radio in my pkg. car for years....well worth the investment, works great and is super durable.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I hate it when those package cars are behind me or next to me at stoplights and the deep bass from their music is vibrating my car. Where are the subs?

YesYouDidPushAButton

Are you saying you caused it? Just wondering... Apparently you're still here.

No, the guy that did was gone briefly but thanks to the local 769, he's back :wink2:

This happened in Palm Beach FL Division manager on the news that morning while I was getting dressed, "No Packages were Damaged".... Pfftt... Right... But we lost a hell of a lot of them that day :greedy:

Last edited by a moderator:

thessalonian13

Makita makes a great radio!!!!!!!!! 69.99 for the radio 79.99 for the battery and 39.99 for the charger... It's small, super loud, the battery lasts 18 hours before a recharge, and the AM plays clearly with no engine noise or electrical interference. Best investment I made for something that I use 12 hours a day.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Here is what I use in my PC. Its a Sirius SubX1. This one lasted about 3 year and has been replaced by a newer model that is quite similar and sounds just as clear and bass-y as the old one. I have hookups under the dash that I have been approved to use by my mechanic, just as long as I take my wires out at night and not leave them live.

SUBx1.jpg
SUBx1.jpg

CRASH501

We don't know if it was an illegal hook-up. All tractors have radio hook-ups already installed. I would assume, and hope, that they are fused. If the driver had his radio hooked up to the tractor radio terminals, and there was a fire, I would say it is possible that it wasn't fused, or fused wrong, and NOT the drivers fault.

I have been driving the same 2005 p12 from the time it came into service until my unfortunate incident , the newer trucks also have a hot and cold connection under the fuse box.....

If you are friendly with your mechanic they will set you up a cigarette lighter type connector that is fused , and you can now connect a power inverter to run your radio / cell phone charger.
BUT , if you are diciplined for the connection , you must not RAT out your mechanic.
We had a driver run his radio HOT straight from the battery and with freyed wires at that.
needless to say it was arching and was the grounds for all radio's being disconnected
with the exception of mine and my old truck as they were propperly connected and double fused.

CRASH501

listen we had a guy when i first made book in the winter of 2001 , 2002
the guy had a break down and waited for about 2 hours for a tow or mechanic , this sick S.O.B. started burning paper reems and cardboard in the rear of the package car and WAS NOT FIRED.......