Radio's?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Over a year ago we were told "No More Radios In Cab". We were told that safety was the reason, apparently they were concerned with a radio flying around in an accident. My response was what about the DIAD or how about coffee mugs or water bottles, or maybe even my extingusher that seems to barely hang onto its bracket. There is a simple solution to this problem, mechanics could install and verify any electronics being attached to the package cars. For heavans sake they could even charge us for the hourly rate and I'm sure most of us would happily pay for it. So in the mean time I'm left with my whistling and humming.

Brown Rocket

Here in the South Florida district we have had two seperate incidents in which package cars caught fire due to fans, and radios being hot wired to the car (This happened over night and in one incident was inside the building). Five package cars went up in flames. Now our mechanics have been told to do audits to ensure no one is installing their own stuff. They will install a fan for you and your radio (which is authorized by the contract) has to be battery operated.

But they had said nothing about radios in the cabs. Nobiody cares at my center.

QKRSTKR

But to play Devils Advocate, it doesn't say the radio is allowed in the cab of the package car....

doesn't say it's not! Like telling a feeder guy to strap his C.B. or sirius radio on the grates behind the tractor. Contract says "in feeder road equip." does this mean they can tell u to strap it to the dollie, or how about "in" the rear of the trailer? Or do we need a definition on the word "in"? Doesn't say in cab of tractor, does it? We can all play the advocate. In fact, I don't see in the contract where radios besides C.B.s are allowed in feeder equip. Hope no sups in feeders reads this.

broncobros1

We were told that they cannot be in the cab and must be in the back of the truck secured to a shelf. For decades we have strapped radios in our cabs and have also wired them to the truck, either with alligator clips, or cigarette lighters.

The grievance has already been filed. Nothing like lowering our moral a little more. This was a corporate pcm, yet Chicago appears to have added to it.
For some reason I'm having visions of Milton from Office Space....I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We can have the radio in the cab here, but it cannot be connected to the vehicles electrical system, it must be secured with a bungee cord and it cannot in any way block the drivers view out of the windows. All reasonable restrictions in my opinion.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Flavor of the week, eh? I'll keep you updated if it makes it our way. I have hookups under my dash for alligator clips. I was told by my mechanic and his boss that as long as I have those factory installed battery pegs that I could use them with the proper hookups. And my boss has been made aware every time he is in my car with me. They've tried to enforce the "no radio" in our center before but unfortunately for them it's the biggest earmark in my union book.

M

Mike23

Our sups are pretty cool about it. As long as you don't have it on during ride alongs and as long as they don't hear it in the building then it's a see no evil sort of deal.

I think their next morale buster will be you can't drive with the driver side door open because if you roll your arm could possibly be rolled over on. Then they'll say no doors open at all because what if your diad flew out the other door while you were in a roll and hit someone?

What about the fact that our entire pkg car is metal with the softest thing in it being the seat (which usually isn't soft and not ergonomic!). I think we should fight to be wrapped in bubble wrap every day...mostly so I can pop it all day (more of my random thoughts on road).

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
This hasn't trickled down to our center yet. I just strap in my little Sirius boombox after I get my NDAs off and put I take it home every night because things like that tend to walk away from the truck.

Tony31yrs

I drove for 27 years and only had a radio when I got a rental for Christmas. I could never find a station that I wanted to listen to all day. Even when I'm driving my own car, I play it like a keyboard. Drives my wife crazy. After a while you hear the same old songs and same news every hour. The only time I really would have liked one was when there was some big news going on in the world. I might have liked one when I got too much unwanted overtime and slowed down because my evening was shot anyway so I figured I might as well slow down and punish them for making me stay out so long.

bigbrownhen

I don't listen to a radio while I work, it is too much of a distraction. I can't seem to concentrate on the job as well, but that's just me. So I just keep entertained with talking to myself. Sometimes it the best conversation I have all day. lol

I did have one in my supply box in the back, just for storm updates when necessary, because I deliver in tornado alley and our center can't seem to keep us updated when there is a warning in the areas.

I have found that I am a better driver when I have some form of entertainment. While something during the day might P-me off if something good is on the radio I`ll chill right back out and be on with the rest of my day.

City Driver

this is interesting because we were just told we cant have radios on the dock anymore, i wonder if this is UPS' finest pencil pushers influencing our overnite management team

lazydriver

We had 2 tractors burnout the electrical system because of improper radio hookups or unauthorized equipment 120v inverter last week. How many old timers remember the positive ground friend model Macks?

dei8

Drive for 10 more years and you will realize why a radio is not a bad thing. Do you drive home from UPS and just listen to the fan blow cool air at you? NO. It's a personal preference and helps break up the monotonous routine most drivers face driving the same route every single day. If you don't need one. Fine. Others do and that's why it is in the master contract.

First off, I am not saying we shouldnt be allowed to do this, or that it should be removed from the contract. And I am not sure what another 10 years of driving will do to change my perception. But for discussion purposes, you cant listen to any kind of talk radio, because you would miss half the conversations. As for music, you would always listen to half a song before your next stop. Driving home from work, its a straight 25 minute drive. I dont stop every 3 minutes for the heck of it, so yes I listen to the radio. Also, the first thing I do in my personal car when I am driving and need to concentrate, for example when I get lost, is turn down the radio. And finally, the only way to hear your radio over all the noise would be to crank it, which I think is very unprofessional. Please dont take this post the wrong way, everyone on this job should do whatever it takes to make the day go by, but personally, I dont get this one. If they told me no radio, I would move on. Just my two cents

rushfan

I didn't work here when we had the positive ground Macks. I did work for a 2 way radio shop where trucks were burnt up due to the positive ground system. Funny as hell. Like someone said, it would have been remedied through the use of a fuse.

So far, I've heard a couple of package drivers complain it's not fair for the feeder dept. to have radios hard wired in, and package can't. Waa waaa waaa. The tractors come from the factory with the "power points" standard-no radios. All I can say is fuse,fuse,fuse. If you're not sure, fuse.