Radio's?

raceanoncr

We had 2 tractors burnout the electrical system because of improper radio hookups or unauthorized equipment 120v inverter last week. How many old timers remember the positive ground friend model Macks?

Yes, positive ground Fs is what I started out on. Never did burn radio out cause always had both sides fused. It got cornfusing, tho, when we had to switch with other districts and didn't have crossovers with or radio wasn't compatable w/positives, etc.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Yes, positive ground Fs is what I started out on. Never did burn radio out cause always had both sides fused. It got cornfusing, tho, when we had to switch with other districts and didn't have crossovers with or radio wasn't compatable w/positives, etc.

I always bought at least 2 pkgs of fuses at a time cause I would forget to change the wire set up too. I remember my wife got me a radio from Radio Shack for my birthday that you could use in either positive or negative ground vehicle. I forgot all about it till this thread came up about radio's and friend Models.

raceanoncr

I remember my wife got me a radio from Radio Shack for my birthday that you could use in either positive or negative ground vehicle. I forgot all about it till this thread came up about radio's and friend Models.

Yeah, the Radio Shack AM/FM was the hot ticket for us newbies back then. Couldn't hardly go wrong with that. I think I still got my original one in garage somewhere.

Got brave after some others were trying radios out of junked cars, stereos (wow, what an invention), eight-tracks, tapes, now CDs and, of course, the required satellite. The neg. ground made a big difference for some guys but, still, you need to show some how to even turn it on!

Johney

It most likely has to do with 3 package cars being destroyed at the Riviera Beach building. The driver has not returned yet and I have heard no word on the progress of said driver returning.

Dustyroads

Sears makes a great little craftsman radio that runs on a 19.2 volt cordless drill battery. It will run 14 hours on a one hour quick charge, it sounds great, doesn't take up much room, and straps down securely with a bungee cord. They are nice on extended routes where a driver may go 20 minutes between stops. For me, they have been great in tracking severe thunderstorms about to hit. They also help one stay awake and alert when compared to the drone of the barely muffled package car engine. It's a personal choice of the driver, and bottom line, the contract allows a radio in the package car as long as it isn't wired to the UPS equipment.

satellitedriver

I have all the music I need ,playing in my head.:happy2:
My ears are tuned to the sounds of my pkg car.
Which part is going to fail now, type sounds.
No joke, the P7, they have sent down to me, takes over a mile on flat road to hit 55mph. Once I get up it to 60mph, Katie bar the door. It dances all over the road.
So, the sweet music I hear is the governor kicking in at 30mph, in 4th gear, and the king pins death rattle when I hit a bump or pothole.
I wish this was a joke, but it is not

City Driver

I have all the music I need ,playing in my head.:happy2:
My ears are tuned to the sounds of my pkg car.
Which part is going to fail now, type sounds.
No joke, the P7, they have sent down to me, takes over a mile on flat road to hit 55mph. Once I get up it to 60mph, Katie bar the door. It dances all over the road.
So, the sweet music I hear is the governor kicking in at 30mph, in 4th gear, and the king pins death rattle when I hit a bump or pothole.
I wish this was a joke, but it is not

your package car has a kingpin?:speechless:

upssup

Radios are not to be wired to the car in any way shape or form! Most of the drivers here use the battery powered radios or a battery pack. I will, and have pulled the wiring on any of my cars that I find with the wiring. This is not an authorized modification to the car. PERIOD!

brett636

I was given a PCM not too long ago which simply said we could not have a radio wired into the package car. Reason given was that someone in FL had wired a radio into a package car without a fuse, and the connection shorted causing a fire in the package car when it was parked in the building. They say every so often that we have to keep our radios in the back of the package car, but I've never seen it enforced.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Radios are not to be wired to the car in any way shape or form! Most of the drivers here use the battery powered radios or a battery pack. I will, and have pulled the wiring on any of my cars that I find with the wiring. This is not an authorized modification to the car. PERIOD!
And the last supervisor here that touched an employee's radio found himself spending $100 to replace it. And they are not your cars!

Johney

It most likely has to do with 3 package cars being destroyed at the Riviera Beach building. The driver has not returned yet and I have heard no word on the progress of said driver returning.
This driver did return to work last Thursday.(Shows how much I know what's going on)

upssup

If you are automotive sup and one of the "corporate cars" catches fire because of a radio being installed and wired through a 12v outlet. I guarantee it will be the automotive sup's car and hence his job!

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
oh for craps sake. i though 1. due to past practice you could take your PC up to the shop and have it installed for you. i.e. the wiring and stuff done by ups mechanics. 2 im just fed up with UPS with all its crap and i am going to write and i encourage everyone in 705 to write to Steve Pocztowski for at least a 1 day strike to teach UPS not to mess with us anymore. They deserve getting kicked in the balls right now. all i have to say for the person in management who's making these crap policy up is a quote from Dr. Peter Venkman [video=youtube;0WX1euPoZa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WX1euPoZa8[/video]

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not hooking the radio to the package car has always been the rule here. Several have tried, and had time off because of it.

I used to use the dewalt radio. Enough power to hear even over the roar of the engine, but yet not bad enough to cause problems with the customer.

One big issue was that of safety. Several drivers had issues with driving because they tried to catch their radio on its way out the door.

I used a ratchet strap to hold it right above the diva, it also went through the bar to protect the heater (or foot rest for the passenger). Never moved, even when I almost flipped the P1000.

The battery was guaranteed three years, and I got 3 replacements after 2.5 years or so. The last battery lasted almost 4 years. One charge would last almost two Long days.

So either strap your radio in, or carry it behind the door. Same with your twowheeler. Buckle it up, or it goes behind the door.

d