Rail strike

YeeYee

I remember seeing videos earlier in the year on the news of rail cars full of packages ransacked out on the west coast. Majority of it was Amazon from what I could tell. A lot of goods are moved cross country on rail then loaded on 18 wheelers. Expect volume to dip and the shelves to be a little less full if there is no agreement by 9-29. These rail workers have been treated the same us as through covid. Overworked, harassed, and expected to be there no matter what! Give them what they want. People like them and us keep the country going!

nWo

Republicans tried to pass a bill to prevent the rail workers from striking. Bernie Sanders blocked the bill fyi.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on Wednesday blocked a Republican request to force railroad workers and companies to accept the recommendations of a nonpartisan panel to avoid a strike that would impact millions of Americans.

Sanders stood up on the floor to block the speedy approval of the resolution — introduced by Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Committee ranking member Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) — that would require railroad workers to adopt the outlines of a labor deal.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Republicans tried to pass a bill to prevent the rail workers from striking. Bernie Sanders blocked the bill fyi.

To be clear, President Biden prevented the rail workers from striking 2 months ago.

He appointed a board of arbitrators to come up with a solution. The unions have rejected that solution.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
People like them and us keep the country going!
1663235164701.png

Brownsocks

Just a dog
The already had a pretty sweet deal lined up, apparently the sticking point for the two holdout unions was more "unpaid time off".

I have a hard time thinking people here would vote no over not getting 6th punch language if they offered us that money.
Then they started Sunday deliveries and force 3/4 the senority list in either on Saturday or Sunday for a 6th, and cut even more routes on Mon, Thurs, Fri.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The already had a pretty sweet deal lined up, apparently the sticking point for the two holdout unions was more "unpaid time off".

I have a hard time thinking people here would vote no over not getting 6th punch language if they offered us that money.
These guys are essentially on call 24/7 and get reprimanded for things like going to doctors appointments.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
These guys are essentially on call 24/7 and get reprimanded for things like going to doctors appointments.
Exactly, and long shifts when on duty, only 1 day off per month. The example I heard (from a SMART union staff member): you could work a long shift Wednesday, have a long off-duty period Thursday (away from home/motel), then get off work Friday too late to make it to a scheduled appointment.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yup, trying to squeeze maximize productivity out of their workforce rather than risk having employees they don't need to cover days off.
Sounds familiar.

But they all face that issue so they all had a reason to vote no. If part timers and feeder drivers get the money they want are they going to vote no for package drivers' time off?

If package drivers get the language they want would they vote no over part time pay?

Divide and conquer has worked well for UPS.

newfie

Can you imagine how many contractors we're gonna see if they strike for more than a couple of days? It'll be bedlam.
there will be a lot of competition for those contractors.
i think UPS is already leasing most of their sleeper fleet tractors if not all. There will also be a lot of demand for those tractors.
cost for those contractors will go through the ceiling. you think we have high inflation now. look out .