Raise

Empty Pockets

I topped out in ten years many years ago. If you are at level 8 and they give out the raise(including top and bottom), what level will you be at after the raise? It will take two raises to move to the new level 9.

Empty Pockets

I’ve never seen a bad employee let go for not being able to do their job well. I’ve only seen people fired for things like accidents, stealing, falsification, etc. Never lack of performance.
I have never seen anyone lose their job for lack of doing it. I have seen many folks lose their jobs for doing too much and getting written up. The deadbeats know this and will have a job as long as they show up.

MAKAVELI

I topped out in ten years many years ago. If you are at level 8 and they give out the raise(including top and bottom), what level will you be at after the raise? It will take two raises to move to the new level 9.
If they actually raise the top and bottom they would bump all steps in between. But if they only give step 10 a raise, I could see them keeping all other steps the same rate as scheduled.

Empty Pockets

If they actually raise the top and bottom they would bump all steps in between. But if they only give step 10 a raise, I could see them keeping all other steps the same rate as scheduled.

It will be a raise but will still be the same level number. The "top out" in ten years will can only happen if:
1. The top and bottom does not increase
or
2. Two levels of raise is given if the top and bottom increases.

I highly doubt that they will give out $2 raises when they can give $1 and tell employees that they are ungrateful.

vantexan

It will be a raise but will still be the same level number. The "top out" in ten years will can only happen if:
or

I highly doubt that they will give out $2 raises when they can give $1 and tell employees that they are ungrateful.
$1hr raises are no good?

Empty Pockets

Yes they are good. Any raise is a blessing. The point is that the new system looks to be flawed and the only way it will work is if a double raise is given to folks in the middle when the top and bottom move up. I just do not see that happening. They have strategically done this for many years.
Oh, I just looked at your previous post and saw TYRA. I have been there many times. Tell Tyler John that empty Pockets says hi.

If you stay long enough, you will begin to see what is going on. Since I worked with Tyler John, raises have been cut in half two different times and once before that even. Ask the old timers about how long they went without a raise in the late 90s. It was about nine years.

Just look at the more recent raises. They did away with performance reviews about 5 or 6 years ago. A perfect review got a 4.5% pay increase...no more. the first raise after that was a 2% raise, then nothing, and then 3%. Then, they started the ten level system which was then postponed until October. Last year, after a 1.2 billion dollar tax break, They gave a level up but did not move the top/bottom. This was done in April. They announce that next merit increase would be 18 months away(Oct 2019).

They posted it all over the news how they were investing in the employee. We hear the word "Raise" and get all happy. In hindsight, our raise was delayed six months the previous year, then received six months early(really back to normal), then next raise delayed 6 months. The word "Raise" got us so excited that we did not stop to notice that the folks not topped out got screwed again.

Last edited:

Nolimitz

Go back to lurking. Van Texan is long gone from Fedex. And most of his posting is bi-polar

Yes they are good. Any raise is a blessing. The point is that the new system looks to be flawed and the only way it will work is if a double raise is given to folks in the middle when the top and bottom move up. I just do not see that happening. They have strategically done this for many years.
Oh, I just looked at your previous post and saw TYRA. I have been there many times. Tell Tyler John that empty Pockets says hi.

If you stay long enough, you will begin to see what is going on. Since I worked with Tyler John, raises have been cut in half two different times and once before that even. Ask the old timers about how long they went without a raise in the late 90s. It was about nine years.

Just look at the more recent raises. They did away with performance reviews about 5 or 6 years ago. A perfect review got a 4.5% pay increase...no more. the first raise after that was a 2% raise, then nothing, and then 3%. Then, they started the ten level system which was then postponed until October. Last year, after a 1.2 billion dollar tax break, They gave a level up but did not move the top/bottom. This was done in April. They announce that next merit increase would be 18 months away(Oct 2019).

They posted it all over the news how they were investing in the employee. We hear the word "Raise" and get all happy. In hindsight, our raise was delayed six months the previous year, then received six months early(really back to normal), then next raise delayed 6 months. The word "Raise" got us so excited that we did not stop to notice that the folks not topped out got screwed again.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Your narrative would possibly have merit except for one thing. You are assuming that top-of-range will get a raise. Nowhere in any company literature did I see anything about TOR getting an annual raise. Or even a COLA.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

vantexan

I was there for 4 years. Retired now after 29 total years(rehired twice).

Empty Pockets

Show me my neg comments about FedEx.... I dare you. you might find 1 or 2 opposed to your several hundred.
The bad things greatly outnumber the good. About the nicest thing I can say about them is that they pay me for working there and have not fired me yet. They know it and have to pay someone to tell us that they love us....
Hehehe, this is funny...
GreatPlaceToWork

SmithBarney

or

I think you don't understand the step system, ideally you move up a step each year(and the chart slides up each year at the same time) The only folks who don't move up a step are those in 10, and I think those in step one with less than 6mo(but their rate still moves with the step)
And 1$ would be great I don't think I saw more than $1 until after year 10.

Empty Pockets

I think you don't understand the step system, ideally you move up a step each year(and the chart slides up each year at the same time) The only folks who don't move up a step are those in 10, and I think those in step one with less than 6mo(but their rate still moves with the step)
And 1$ would be great I don't think I saw more than $1 until after year 10.
I agree with the $1. I did the same job for $11 so happy for anything more. The concept of a 10 tier or bracket system seems great to the employee, but the bracket seems flawed unless two levels are adjusted for.
Lets use a football field for a comparison. It is 100 yards long and I am on the 10 yard line. I am one first down from a score. If you cut ten yards off the other end and place it in front of me the field is still 100 yards but I am now on the 20 yard line. If you give me a 10 yard raise penalty, I am still 10 yards from the end. A one level increase with the brackets moving leaves you the same distance from the end.
If the brackets move up, it will leave you the same distance from the end unless you move up two levels. My buddies and I saw this from the first announcement and conveyed our thoughts. No one else saw this. Only time will tell how they are going to make this happen. October 2019 will be the time unless the tiers remain the same.

MAKAVELI

I agree with the $1. I did the same job for $11 so happy for anything more. The concept of a 10 tier or bracket system seems great to the employee, but the bracket seems flawed unless two levels are adjusted for.
Lets use a football field for a comparison. It is 100 yards long and I am on the 10 yard line. I am one first down from a score. If you cut ten yards off the other end and place it in front of me the field is still 100 yards but I am now on the 20 yard line. If you give me a 10 yard raise penalty, I am still 10 yards from the end. A one level increase with the brackets moving leaves you the same distance from the end.
If the brackets move up, it will leave you the same distance from the end unless you move up two levels. My buddies and I saw this from the first announcement and conveyed our thoughts. No one else saw this. Only time will tell how they are going to make this happen. October 2019 will be the time unless the tiers remain the same.
Technically everyone in progression is closer, percentage wise, to top pay when the last raise was given. I'd be less concerned about the steps being adjusted and more concerned about them actually moving everyone up a step, at this point.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You incorrectly assume that the top bracket will receive a raise. Your scenario fails.
They can just as easily use a bonus for the top bracket to mollify them. Or they can do nothing for them.