Raise

MAKAVELI

You incorrectly assume that the top bracket will receive a raise. Your scenario fails.
They can just as easily use a bonus for the top bracket to mollify them. Or they can do nothing for them.
Or they could give everyone a flat % and freeze the steps. Then they would claim even in hard times we are giving a raise, so everyone needs to STFU.:happy2:

Serf

Didn't we cover this last April when we got the raise early due to new Tax Plan? Topped out folks got 2 separate 3% stipend payouts in April & October that year. While everyone else took a step in April. I'd be happy with taking a step this October2019. Without COLA% factored in.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Didn't we cover this last April when we got the raise early due to new Tax Plan? Topped out folks got 2 separate 3% stipend payouts in April & October that year. While everyone else took a step in April. I'd be happy with taking a step this October2019. Without COLA% factored in.
Mutual Anxiety Disorder can’t be cured by simply waiting, they have to work themselves into a hyperventilating panic lather.

Because in the age of instant information, we must know NOW!

Empty Pockets

You incorrectly assume that the top bracket will receive a raise. Your scenario fails.
They can just as easily use a bonus for the top bracket to mollify them. Or they can do nothing for them.

The discussion was based on the fixed ten tier system with the bracket moving. post 68

Yes they are good. Any raise is a blessing. The point is that the new system looks to be flawed and the only way it will work is if a double raise is given to folks in the middle when the top and bottom move up. I just do not see that happening. They have strategically done this for many years.

Personally, I feel that they will hold the top and as long as possible and give out the percentage like they used to do with Propay for topped out folks. In 1995, the 9M pay in most market levels was from $10.68 to $14.01. That is just $3.33 from the bottom to the top. Today, the difference is close to $12. Folks were complaining so they went to this Ten tier system "So we will top out faster."
If the top moves, there will be an issue with the folks in the middle unless they move up two raises. If the top does not move, it will piss off the topped out folks. I feel fortunate to get anything more than I currently make, however, their starting pay is about $6.00 per hour less than FedEx Freight was advertising last year which was $24 and top out in four years.

It will be fine

The discussion was based on the fixed ten tier system with the bracket moving. post 68

Personally, I feel that they will hold the top and as long as possible and give out the percentage like they used to do with Propay for topped out folks. In 1995, the 9M pay in most market levels was from $10.68 to $14.01. That is just $3.33 from the bottom to the top. Today, the difference is close to $12. Folks were complaining so they went to this Ten tier system "So we will top out faster."
If the top moves, there will be an issue with the folks in the middle unless they move up two raises. If the top does not move, it will piss off the topped out folks. I feel fortunate to get anything more than I currently make, however, their starting pay is about $6.00 per hour less than FedEx Freight was advertising last year which was $24 and top out in four years.
I would think pissing off topped out couriers would be a feature not a bug of the system. Help them move on to be replaced by lower paid replacements.

bacha29

With Amazon FXG and the small carriers locked in a flat out race to the bottom of the " final mile" wage scale maintaining top of the scale pay structure for X USPS and UPS could get pretty challenging in the days to come. Shippers on the other hand will continue to pay for both service and image they can count on......until we hit the next recession.

zeev

With Amazon FXG and the small carriers locked in a flat out race to the bottom of the " final mile" wage scale maintaining top of the scale pay structure for X USPS and UPS could get pretty challenging in the days to come. Shippers on the other hand will continue to pay for both service and image they can count on......until we hit the next recession.
Express has just eliminated the Central Region totally I think an upcoming raise is totally out of the question.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I would think pissing off topped out couriers would be a feature not a bug of the system. Help them move on to be replaced by lower paid replacements.

Nope. Top-of-range couriers are treated like gold.

This is the perplexing part of the structure. The learning curve flattens out pretty quickly. You're about as good at year four (if not sooner) as you're ever going to be, but a step four courier makes around $8/hour less than a step 10 courier. Someone might argue that there's a difference in knowledge and whatnot, but that difference is negligible and it sure as hell isn't worth over $300/week. If a guy is good enough after 4 years, it needs to be better reflected in his pay.

The longer an employee has been on the job, the harder it is to fire him and by the time a guy gets to top of range, he's been there for a decade. They aren't going to piss any of them off. To the contrary, they coddle them.

It will be fine

Nope. Top-of-range couriers are treated like gold.

This is the perplexing part of the structure. The learning curve flattens out pretty quickly. You're about as good at year four (if not sooner) as you're ever going to be, but a step four courier makes around $8/hour less than a step 10 courier. Someone might argue that there's a difference in knowledge and whatnot, but that difference is negligible and it sure as hell isn't worth over $300/week. If a guy is good enough after 4 years, it needs to be better reflected in his pay.

The longer an employee has been on the job, the harder it is to fire him and by the time a guy gets to top of range, he's been there for a decade. They aren't going to piss any of them off. To the contrary, they coddle them.
I believe that could be true at a local level. Local managers probably like the dependability of veterans. I don’t think the same would be true at a corporate level. They would see decreased production of older drivers and the pay disparity as something that needs correction. BTW your tech is pure garbage if it takes 4 years to get max productivity out of a truck driver.

vantexan

I believe that could be true at a local level. Local managers probably like the dependability of veterans. I don’t think the same would be true at a corporate level. They would see decreased production of older drivers and the pay disparity as something that needs correction. BTW your tech is pure garbage if it takes 4 years to get max productivity out of a truck driver.
We pretty much knew the job in less than three months. After that just the occasional tweek.

vantexan

That sounds more like it. So what’s the value of veteran drivers? Why pay them so much more than a 1 year driver?
That's what we asked for 15 or so years. At least now a new hire has something to work towards. Most senior couriers are just that, senior. No new hire has topped out yet, neither have couriers who were 10 year veterans when the plan was implemented. By the time they do many, if not most senior couriers will be gone.

Star B

White Lightening
We pretty much knew the job in less than three months. After that just the occasional tweek.
Not with today's training. You are still learning after 6 months. Sure, you have the real basics down, but you're still gaining a considerable amount of knowledge until the 1y mark.

the 10 step top out is just a sham to be cheap. When it hits the fan and the manager starts staring at me for performance, I tell em "I'm not being paid like I know the job 100%, so I'm only working at $(STEP_LEVEL)0 at my potential."

Grumble, grumble, walk away.

SmithBarney

But it's not a fixed ten tier system, the chart has moved up. All steps have increased since the implementation of the system.(see img)

The biggest problem with the system is those employees who were 8-10 years in when implemented, ended up at step 2-3.. with a theoretical 8years left to top out.
Where a new hire would have a theoretical 10yrs, assuming yearly steps.

Attachments

• comparea.png
    comparea.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 244

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I believe that could be true at a local level. Local managers probably like the dependability of veterans. I don’t think the same would be true at a corporate level. They would see decreased production of older drivers and the pay disparity as something that needs correction.

Other way around. The local management team gets a bird's eye view any warts/faults or disparities between them and others. Hard to do anything about any of it. Corporate does the coddling and it's maddening.

BTW your tech is pure garbage if it takes 4 years to get max productivity out of a truck driver.

Agreed. Four years was chosen as an arbitrary number.

Subramaniam's Myth

Ours was 1.5% in April and 1.5% in October 3% total for the year.