Raise

fdxsux

That sounds more like it. So what’s the value of veteran drivers? Why pay them so much more than a 1 year driver?
The value of a veteran courier is his vote against a union. Express only has to keep half of its couriers happy. For years they have crapped on the bottom half of the pay scale while treating the top half much better. (remember the quartile system?) I don’t think top of range will go too long without a raise unless they think there are enough couriers at the bottom that are satisfied with the new pay scale.

Empty Pockets

I think you don't understand the step system, ideally you move up a step each year(and the chart slides up each year at the same time) The only folks who don't move up a step are those in 10, and I think those in step one with less than 6mo(but their rate still moves with the step)
And 1$ would be great I don't think I saw more than $1 until after year 10.

Before the ten tier system, it would take 17 raises to move from the bottom to the top of range...if the top never increased Every year that the top would move up, it would add another year making it nearly impossible to ever reach TOR. Example: If the Top got a raise every other year, it would then take 34 raises(years) for a new employee to top out. You must be 21 to get a CDL. The old plan meant that you would be lucky to hit TOR before retirement age of 55.

The Ten Tier system was presented to us a guarantee that we would reach TOR in ten years(Express only). They were selling us a turd to begin with since Freight drivers were being advertised as topping out in 4 years. This "New Deal" Ten tier system was flawed from the beginning as I have stated before. Yes, any raise is better than nothing, but they have a history of not following through on what the tell us. Knowing and seeing this all play out over the last 3.5 years is concerning. They promised that everyone could reach TOR in just ten years and immediately postponed raises for six months making the 10 year plan a 10.5 year plan. To add insult to injury, after 18 months, there is a 2% raise but no step progression which will add another year to the deal. Now, the ten year plan is now going to take 11.5 years if we are lucky.

They pay for fake publicity like the Great Place to Work thingy. They could have gained a little integrity if they would have just given out another 1% with a step progression but it appears that they cannot follow through on what they promise us. They have zero integrity at this point and even the most uninformed hubites are beginning to take notice.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

I think you don't understand the step system, ideally you move up a step each year(and the chart slides up each year at the same time) The only folks who don't move up a step are those in 10, and I think those in step one with less than 6mo(but their rate still moves with the step)
And 1$ would be great I don't think I saw more than $1 until after year 10.
Several of my buddies have been driving for over 15 years and are at level 7. After this new deal, they will still be at level 7. "Just three more years...". This ten tier system is flawed. If the brackets move, the folks in the middle will remain at their tier level. I am just a dumb ole truck driver that saw this when they started this bullcrap idea. I have been waiting since 2016 to watch this debacle unfold. On October 6th, after the raise, everyone will still be exactly the same distance from TOR as they were 18 months ago.

dezguy

To be fair, they never said it was a ten year to top of rate, system.

Many here pointed out the use of the term "step", when they announced the new plan and many here accurately predicted that steps would be postponed.

MAKAVELI

To be fair, they never said it was a ten year to top of rate, system.

Many here pointed out the use of the term "step", when they announced the new plan and many here accurately predicted that steps would be postponed.
It wouldn't matter if they called it a 10-year progression. The result would be the same.

SmithBarney

... presented to us a guarantee that we would reach TOR in ten years(Express only)...They promised that everyone could reach TOR in just ten years ...

They were skillful with words, I remember the video quite well, they stated 10steps, and made sure to say steps, not years, everyone got excited the room got loud(the video makers knew they would) while this happened they finished the video with a statement that said something like "steps will happen yearly when financially viable/depending on market conditions" no body heard this because they were too busy talking about how excited they were...

I pulled up FDX financials on one of the stock websites, they are doing better than ever, better than last year. They had a bump in May with the tax breaks, but otherwise following the Market pretty well.
The biggest challenge they currently face is unfortunately the US Administration, FDX wants to grow internationally... unfortunately the threat of a trade war, even if just bluster is causing sellers and buyers alike to be very cautious, most are awaiting the results of 2020 elections... The instability in DC is causing worldwide caution, kinda sucks but it does.

vantexan

They were skillful with words, I remember the video quite well, they stated 10steps, and made sure to say steps, not years, everyone got excited the room got loud(the video makers knew they would) while this happened they finished the video with a statement that said something like "steps will happen yearly when financially viable/depending on market conditions" no body heard this because they were too busy talking about how excited they were...

I pulled up FDX financials on one of the stock websites, they are doing better than ever, better than last year. They had a bump in May with the tax breaks, but otherwise following the Market pretty well.
The biggest challenge they currently face is unfortunately the US Administration, FDX wants to grow internationally... unfortunately the threat of a trade war, even if just bluster is causing sellers and buyers alike to be very cautious, most are awaiting the results of 2020 elections... The instability in DC is causing worldwide caution, kinda sucks but it does.
But also they put a lot of money into Europe, and just like Ground they are taking from Express employees to pay for it rather than allow profits to drop.

Empty Pockets

The meetings we had stated that this was to guarantee reaching the top in ten years. The original letter from 2016 states, "Reduces time for Employee to reach maximum pay." Just Google "October 2016 Pay Actions" to see it. The pay policy dated 2018 says step progressions are contingent on how well the company is doing. Didn't someone state that they were doing well?

This ten year plan was a turd, but better that the old plan where it was impossible to reach top out in less than 17 raises. Folks were happy with the ten year turd. Immediately, they postponed raises for six months and now, after working for 18 months to get this progression, they have not moved up. This is why most hubs and stations have become a revolving door of newhires.

After all the money they spent on the great place to work propaganda survey and other magazines and newspaper publicity, they could have just given another 1% raise and made everyone happy. Nope, they chose to squeeze on the employee a little bit more. Has anyone wondered why the raises have been postpones to October? Prolly because it is closer to November when we change our heath coverage. Now, there will be no delay in getting a 2% raise and then our healthcare going up as well. Changes to healthcare was announced in a meeting yesterday. This never ends.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The meetings we had stated that this was to guarantee reaching the top in ten years. The original letter from 2016 states, "Reduces time for Employee to reach maximum pay." Just Google "October 2016 Pay Actions" to see it. The pay policy dated 2018 says step progressions are contingent on how well the company is doing. Didn't someone state that they were doing well?

This ten year plan was a turd, but better that the old plan where it was impossible to reach top out in less than 17 raises. Folks were happy with the ten year turd. Immediately, they postponed raises for six months and now, after working for 18 months to get this progression, they have not moved up. This is why most hubs and stations have become a revolving door of newhires.

After all the money they spent on the great place to work propaganda survey and other magazines and newspaper publicity, they could have just given another 1% raise and made everyone happy. Nope, they chose to squeeze on the employee a little bit more. Has anyone wondered why the raises have been postpones to October? Prolly because it is closer to November when we change our heath coverage. Now, there will be no delay in getting a 2% raise and then our healthcare going up as well. Changes to healthcare was announced in a meeting yesterday. This never ends.
What changes were made to our healthcare? I haven’t heard yet. I’m guessing we’re paying more?

Serf

What changes were made to our healthcare? I haven’t heard yet. I’m guessing we’re paying more?
I think in the time I've worked for Fedex, healthcare may not have increased annually (Once) ? Which of course was made very clear by management. All in all its still not terrible for single no dependent. But if you have Wife/Kids, it's not that great.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I think in the time I've worked for Fedex, healthcare may not have increased annually (Once) ? Which of course was made very clear by management. All in all its still not terrible for single no dependent. But if you have Wife/Kids, it's not that great.
The word sucks was the first thing came to mind.

Empty Pockets

It has been changing nearly every year and not for the better. Last year alone, the Premier and Choice plans changed names and both also added a cheaper version. These are now called 70 Broad, 70 Narrow, 80 Broad, and 80 Narrow. The cost of these go up frequently. A few years ago, the deductible was added. On the positive side, we lost the $20 co pay at time of visit.

Empty Pockets

I am not sure. They did not say. The meeting's first sentence was, "Well folks, you will be getting a 2% raise but some changes are coming to your healthcare." We giggled and asked, "What, about a 2% increase or more?" It is scary that by grouping raises and insurance together, they are unknowingly admitting that the two are related.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I am not sure. They did not say. The meeting's first sentence was, "Well folks, you will be getting a 2% raise but some changes are coming to your healthcare." We giggled and asked, "What, about a 2% increase or more?" It is scary that by grouping raises and insurance together, they are unknowingly admitting that the two are related.
Sounds like we’ll be getting screwed on the healthcare.

Empty Pockets

But also they put a lot of money into Europe, and just like Ground they are taking from Express employees to pay for it rather than allow profits to drop.
The TNT deal is the worst acquisition we have done. At time of purchase, we went from 4 billion cash to 2 billion and from 3 billion in debt to 8 billion. Listed under "Total Longterm Liabilities." I heard this from a news article a after the takeover. That number has grown to 9 billion. The numbers can be seen here:
FedEx Corporation (FDX) Balance Sheet
Just above the title, "Balance Sheet," there are two more links for "Balance Sheet" and "Cash Flow." It appears that last year was about the best year that we have had. However, liabilities are increasing. The current quarter ended Aug 31 and will probably be bad since the box count was down 19%.

Empty Pockets

The changes are posted on their intranet. Google "2020 Benefit Changes" in the google search at work. It will be the second or third link down. I glanced at it and there are may changes. After a glance, monthly for family is going up $18 and the deductible for each is going up $300 per year.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
No more out of network care and if your spouse is on your plan and they have health insurance available through their employer (how this is verified I do not know), tack on an additional $150 month. Gets better all the time.

Empty Pockets

No more out of network care and if your spouse is on your plan and they have health insurance available through their employer (how this is verified I do not know), tack on an additional $150 month. Gets better all the time.
I forgot that one. That could cause some of us to drop the coverage to just ourselves if spouse has any kind of other coverage.