rant about ups freight

Indy135

this is my rant after a very bad monday shift

today i open a trailer, theres 500 books all over the floor next to a busted up box

behidn that was 85 loose tires, which was fine.....but then behind that, was 10 pallets stacked 2 high, NOT ONE PALLET was wrapped OR braced, so theres was :censored2: EVERYWHERE

all kinds of cartons all over the floor, thousands, had to sort them all out and actually wrap them

does anybody on here think for one second that 2 skids of loose cartons not wrapped and not braced will even make it out of the yard without falling? NO.....and it came from over 300 miles away

what i have found is that ups freight dont give a :censored2: about bracing :censored2::censored2: properly.......at all.......when i was at roadway express we hardly ever got :censored2: like that, theese freight loaders just throw :censored2: in the trailer however it fits knowing that the next guy is gonna have a massive mess to :censored2: with

i swear to god if i ever find loader 534 from lousville kentucky im beating his :censored2:in ass

almost all the trailers are like that, all you need is some wrap and a few load bars or straps

damnit

end rant

BrownSuit

when i was at roadway express we hardly ever got :censored2: like that

I realize that you are venting, which is very healthy. Might I suggest that you also address the load quality issues with your management team and have them forwarded along to the terminal manager at the origin terminal?

I also would like to point out that nobody is making you work for UPS Freight. If you would like to go back to Roadway and be jobless in the next year, you are more than welcome.

End Rant

Indy135

I realize that you are venting, which is very healthy. Might I suggest that you also address the load quality issues with your management team and have them forwarded along to the terminal manager at the origin terminal?

I also would like to point out that nobody is making you work for UPS Freight. If you would like to go back to Roadway and be jobless in the next year, you are more than welcome.

End Rant

well on my paperwork i always write up all the mistakes the loader made, ALWAYS

listen to this

we sometimes get freight that is high value, we cant touch it, only like 3 people on our dock are authorized to pull it off the trailer

i once had a skid of this high value freight which is suppose to really be protected good.....it was in the very nose, with a skid of 4 drums of some corrosive hazmat material on top of it, not stable at all, and crushing it

corrosive liquid spilled all over the place including on the freight itself......people at ups freight simply do not give a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: about loading techniques

is it the same way at ups ground? do your loaders put a 300 lb unstable box on top of a 5 lb box of glass? probably

705red

Browncafe Steward
Brownsuit brings up some good points, please address this with your management. Believe it or not some customers do run into this site and could be turned off by reading about the destruction of there goods and look else were for shipping needs.

Yrc stock is down to around $2 a share, yrc has already contacted the teamsters asking for concessions in the new contract were they already received little to help the company stay afloat.

With ups freight, logistics growing as they are ups is the sound investment for anyone looking for employment for the long term.

Like many companies ups is far from perfect! But to rant about this without giving management a chance to fix it is wrong. Now if they dont fix it than i agree posting here hopefully will help, or get your union involved in it to shed some more light on it.

Ups just possibly could be a monopoly in the near future for all of your trucking needs, and its a combination of the great employees and some good managing that allows ups to profit when other companies are struggling and closing there doors. Imo

Indy135

Brownsuit brings up some good points, please address this with your management. Believe it or not some customers do run into this site and could be turned off by reading about the destruction of there goods and look else were for shipping needs.

Yrc stock is down to around $2 a share, yrc has already contacted the teamsters asking for concessions in the new contract were they already received little to help the company stay afloat.

With ups freight, logistics growing as they are ups is the sound investment for anyone looking for employment for the long term.

Like many companies ups is far from perfect! But to rant about this without giving management a chance to fix it is wrong. Now if they dont fix it than i agree posting here hopefully will help, or get your union involved in it to shed some more light on it.

Ups just possibly could be a monopoly in the near future for all of your trucking needs, and its a combination of the great employees and some good managing that allows ups to profit when other companies are struggling and closing there doors. Imo

if i was a customer i would want to know the truth about what happens to my freight, i dont think hiding it from the customer is right, i am not gonna keep my mouth shut just so UPS can make even more money

but management DOES know, thats the whole point, they dont do :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:

when u get :censored2::censored2: that has spilled over they take pictures of it on a digital camera, but then nothign happens, thats it

they dont do :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: about it

BrownSuit

if i was a customer i would want to know the truth about what happens to my freight, i dont think hiding it from the customer is right, i am not gonna keep my mouth shut just so UPS can make even more money

but management DOES know, thats the whole point, they dont do :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:

when u get :censored2::censored2: that has spilled over they take pictures of it on a digital camera, but then nothign happens, thats it

Every time that you notify management about a Load Quality issue that results in damages, those damages get charged back to the last terminal or origin terminal depending on the situation.

If you are the last leg on a long journey, there is usually a blame shifting game until somebody can prove who actually damaged the Freight.

This requires you to notify management each and every time. On the freight side there is a person at each terminal who you would report this to (their job title escapes me at the moment). It's the same person who records shortages and overages. These details would then be recorded into the system, along with information about the actual delivery.

This is important should a damage claim be filed and would be necessary in order to pay it. Again, this damage would be charged back to the terminal that you received the Freight from. If you fail to notify management, it could be your terminal that is charged for the damage and you could be written up accordingly.

I would continue to do your job to the best of your ability. From the sounds of it you don't have much interaction with the customer, so do you actually know that nothing has been done with the Freight or the issue has been addressed?

Our customers are told that our Freight is not double stacked, that we use floorboards when possible, that our Freight is not broken in order to maintain shipment integrity, and that we use load locks as well as other things to support the load when the trailer isn't full (happens a lot these days). If these things are not occurring, we are failing our customers and each and every time it needs to be reported.

705red

Browncafe Steward

It sounds like you have a pretty bad management team! Might i suggest you call the 800 number with a complaint? 18002204126

Also if you have a corrosive spill of any material for you to have a haz mat responder address it or call 911 and have the fire department address it, that should stop that problem!

Also I hope you realize the day ups stops making an earning is the day we stop paying our bills. Now before you take this the wrong way i am a steward and many on here think that i hate this company. Which i dont i just hate how some management treats the employees, and as a steward i get to see all the ugliness that goes on.

Call that number anonymous and it will be adrressed.

Indy135

It sounds like you have a pretty bad management team! Might i suggest you call the 800 number with a complaint? 18002204126

Also if you have a corrosive spill of any material for you to have a haz mat responder address it or call 911 and have the fire department address it, that should stop that problem!

Also I hope you realize the day ups stops making an earning is the day we stop paying our bills. Now before you take this the wrong way i am a steward and many on here think that i hate this company. Which i dont i just hate how some management treats the employees, and as a steward i get to see all the ugliness that goes on.

Call that number anonymous and it will be adrressed.

i dont even know what floorboards are

bottom line is this: the loads are terrible because the loaders are terrible, the management team is notified and maybe they do figure out all the claims and everything, but the loads still come in terrible so it isnt making a real difference, UPS is losing money by not cracking down on bad loading techniques

one time i had these 4 skids that had completely tipped over en route and they had TINY boxes THOUSANDS of them all over the floor, i showed my superviser and he just chuckled, then walked away to talk to the guy in the door next to me

and hazmat team was not called in from that corrosive spill, my sup unloaded it himself

Indy135

welcome to pkg car. Sounds like what I get paid 28.5 an hour to deal with on a daily basis.

package car and freight are 2 completely different things

i guarantee u the freight in the back of a pup takes a harder beating then the cartons in the back of a package car

Indy135

I know. It sounds like they loaded your freight trailer like it is a package car.

yes

all skids should be wrapped, unless its got like 4 big boxes on the skid and thats it, cuz thats no big deal and wont be hard to pick up

but everytime i get a new trailer, right before i open it up i have to say a lil prayer that when that door goes up, there wont be 500 boxes falling from the trailer onto the dock and into the yard

Indy135

what? you think i can punch a hole through a semi trailer wall? the same walls that forklifts bang all day and they dont budge?

im glad u think im the hulk