Rash of Retirements!

clean hairy

Seems like several are retiring after the first of the year.
Haven't seen this many in previous years, any idea why so many in the early part of 2023?

JustDeliverIt

We had 7 retire Christmas Eve last year. Last few years we’ve had a group go right after the Jan 1. They were able to go in Nov/Dec but stay through peak and retire. Once the calendar flips they renew all vacation time so they finish out the year and get an extra 8 weeks paid by the company.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Because word is out. Retirement going to be a lot worse after AUG 1st..
Why?

ezgif-2-86b915d52f.gif

over9five

Staff member
Haven't seen this many in previous years, any idea why so many in the early part of 2023?
Wish that would happen here.
Does the pension suck so bad that people will work till their 70 to avoid it?

ManInBrown

Pension bump. Where I am there’s a $350 monthly bump Jan 1 2023. They are expecting a mass exodus of feeder drivers. That being said it never happens. These old timers never leave. I’d love it if 40 called it quits but can’t really blame them. It won’t be me staying. I’m out the day I’m eligible but I can 7nderstand why feeder drivers stay. Package, hell no.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I retired Oct 30 2020. My supervisor was wanting me to stay through Christmas Season. He said if you stay till after the 1st of January you will get your option week pay. I told him “I would gladly pay you my option week pay not to have to go through another Christmas Season” I got my 6 weeks of regular vacation pay and if an extra week of pay made any difference in me retiring or not I better not be retiring!

rod

Retired 22 years
I retired Oct 30 2020. My supervisor was wanting me to stay through Christmas Season. He said if you stay till after the 1st of January you will get your option week pay. I told him “I would gladly pay you my option week pay not to have to go through another Christmas Season” I got my 6 weeks of regular vacation pay and if an extra week of pay made any difference in me retiring or not I better not be retiring!
An old-timer (believe it or not there are retired UPS'ers older than me) once told me that when it comes to retirement there is always a carrot hanging in front of you on a stick. ie; work a little longer and get paid for more vaca. work a little longer and you will get a bigger pension ck, work a little longer and the new boss coming in might be easier to work for, work a little longer and the new contract might be better (it never is). He said retire as SOON as you can--you won't regret it. He was right.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
An old-timer (believe it or not there are retired UPS'ers older than me) once told me that when it comes to retirement there is always a carrot hanging in front of you on a stick. ie; work a little longer and get paid for more vaca. work a little longer and you will get a bigger pension ck, work a little longer and the new boss coming in might be easier to work for, work a little longer and the new contract might be better (it never is). He said retire as SOON as you can--you won't regret it. He was right.
I recently met a retired driver where I live now, he retired in 92, he’s 82 and still walking and riding a bicycle. He doesn’t walk too fast though, Lol