Rate increases vs raises

MondayLates

I was curious after reading that Bloomberg article linked in the oversized thread. Here are the rate increases for the past seven years. These are all from the FedEx website (just google FedEx Express 20xx rate increase)

2009 (increase vs 2008): 6.9%
2010 (increase vs 2009): 5.9%
2011 (increase vs 2010): 3.9%
2012 (increase vs 2011): 5.9%
2013 (increase vs 2012): 5.9%
2014 (increase vs 2013): 3.9%
2015 (increase vs 2014): 4.9%

Now compare that to the raises that we have received over that same time period. Here is what I personally got during those same years. 2011 was the only year the raise was performance based (also everything 2008 and before). The other years were either the same for everybody or based on the quartile matrix.

Mar 2009: no raise
Mar 2010: 2%
Mar 2011: 4%
Mar 2012: no raise
Oct 2013: 2% (raises moved back to October)
Oct 2014: 2%
Oct 2015: 6% (pending)

They have made a premium on our labor nearly every year while claiming the opposite.

Purplepackage

Getting rid of performance based raises was the worst thing express has done to raises ( besides not getting one at all)

There are plenty of employees who don't deserve even a 2% raise because they should have been fired years ago.

And since it's virtually impossible to get fired from this company the work force we have really shows it

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Getting rid of performance based raises was the worst thing express has done to raises ( besides not getting one at all)

There are plenty of employees who don't deserve even a 2% raise because they should have been fired years ago.

And since it's virtually impossible to get fired from this company the work force we have really shows it

This reminds me of something I heard yesterday. A coworker recommended a friend for a job at FedEx. The manager asked him, Is he any good? We're only hiring quality people. RFLMAO!!!!!! They stopped hiring quality people years ago. Lol.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I was curious after reading that Bloomberg article linked in the oversized thread. Here are the rate increases for the past seven years. These are all from the FedEx website (just google FedEx Express 20xx rate increase)

Now compare that to the raises that we have received over that same time period. Here is what I personally got during those same years. 2011 was the only year the raise was performance based (also everything 2008 and before). The other years were either the same for everybody or based on the quartile matrix.

They have made a premium on our labor nearly every year while claiming the opposite.
The cost of padding the pockets of influential politicians must have skyrocketed.

Purplepackage

This reminds me of something I heard yesterday. A coworker recommended a friend for a job at FedEx. The manager asked him, Is he any good? We're only hiring quality people. RFLMAO!!!!!! They stopped hiring quality people years ago. Lol.

A few of us were talking yesterday and we can't figure out anything you would get fired for besides forging a customers signature, That's really the only thing they will fire you for

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
A few of us were talking yesterday and we can't figure out anything you would get fired for besides forging a customers signature, That's really the only thing they will fire you for

There are more.... Stealing, too many accidents, falsification (nonmanagement), too many letters, roll away vehicle (unsecured), not reporting an accident, knowingly driving on a suspended license, felony soliciting child on internet, felony child molestation.

Purplepackage

There are more.... Stealing, too many accidents, falsification (nonmanagement), too many letters, roll away vehicle (unsecured), not reporting an accident, knowingly driving on a suspended license, felony soliciting child on internet, felony child molestation.

Forging a signature is really the only falsification they care about though, like they would ever get you in trouble for gettin a pup on break and doing the stop 2 miles away

overflowed

WOW, that comparison sounds like lying. VW?

dezguy

They had to give the Freight guys raises to squash that union drive too. Busting unions takes some real money.
Same thing up here. Had no problem throwing around money to kill the union drive. Now all the dopes up here who said to me "See! We don't need a union!" are the same ones bitching our raises this year are just enough to keep up with inflation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You get what you pay for, pal, and Fred S deserves the slackers and deadbeats he's getting. The average Express new hire looks and performs much like a Ground driver. Nothing to be proud about there.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Same thing up here. Had no problem throwing around money to kill the union drive. Now all the dopes up here who said to me "See! We don't need a union!" are the same ones bitching our raises this year are just enough to keep up with inflation.

I see the BBQ Squad paid you a visit. When threatened with a union, FedEx will give a token raise and make lots of empty promises, soon forgotten as soon as the organizers leave and the employee leaders are dealt with (read fired or blacklisted). Canada is a much bigger threat to unionize because you have more labour-friendly regulations.

Your comments are spot-on. If the IBT ever tries a campaign in the US again, Fred will use the same tactics. We've already seen it at Ground terminals and FedEx Freight.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Termination for falsification is at the manager's discretion, per policy and (most importantly) station staffing needs.

59 Dano

in other words, another BS policy from the house of double standards.

That's the beauty of this forum. People will complain that there is no ability to use discretion to enforce policy, then they will complain that policy isn't enforced with absolute uniformity.

Cactus

That's the beauty of this forum. People will complain that there is no ability to use discretion to enforce policy, then they will complain that policy isn't enforced with absolute uniformity.
That's because they're not real policies if it's up to a manager's discretion or staffing needs. It's called a whim. Or BS. Take your pick.

59 Dano

That's because they're not real policies if it's up to a manager's discretion or staffing needs. It's called a whim. Or BS. Take your pick.

Or it's called "policy allows for a manager's discretion." Would you like every rule and policy enforced to the absolute letter and with no exceptions?

dezguy

Managers discretion allows for favouritism. All employees should be treated the same, especially when it comes to discipline. I have seen people fired for things that other people get a slap on the wrist for.

Cactus

Or it's called "policy allows for a manager's discretion." Would you like every rule and policy enforced to the absolute letter and with no exceptions?
Go ask Fred. He's right across the hall. You're being stupid here. "We won't fire you for falsification because we're short staffed/you're my nephew/I've had 5 sick calls this morning" etc. That sounds like some of crap shoot than a policy. Hey that sounds like FedEx!