Re-Classifying Couriers as Non-DOT

BigTex61

We were told its only because FedEx will save money on physicals. Total lie. Now the 14 hour rule no longer applies, or any other hours rules. This puts FedEx in a position to really step up the abuse!

vantexan

We were told its only because FedEx will save money on physicals. Total lie. Now the 14 hour rule no longer applies, or any other hours rules. This puts FedEx in a position to really step up the abuse!
It may mean if you go over 14 hrs they don't have to worry about fines, but I doubt it means you'll work 16 hr days all week. Tired couriers are more likely to get in accidents which would expose FedEx to huge lawsuits. It's much more likely it's about saving money with physicals. I have to jump through hoops every year with my stent and diabetes. It has never affected my work, and I take my meds anyways, so I'd love to be non-DOT. The careers page at FedEx.com lists some non-DOT courier jobs.

overflowed

It may mean if you go over 14 hrs they don't have to worry about fines, but I doubt it means you'll work 16 hr days all week. Tired couriers are more likely to get in accidents which would expose FedEx to huge lawsuits. It's much more likely it's about saving money with physicals. I have to jump through hoops every year with my stent and diabetes. It has never affected my work, and I take my meds anyways, so I'd love to be non-DOT. The careers page at FedEx.com lists some non-DOT courier jobs.
Of course they would never want to give you that much OT. Except for one special time of year, it would benefit them more than you.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Of course they would never want to give you that much OT. Except for one special time of year, it would benefit them more than you.
You guys want that much OT come to brown, they will gladly work you 14hrs a day everyday and will gladly pay the OT. I hate all you couriers, start early home early! Nah, JK, I feel for you guys now that they are declassifying everyone out of DOT rules.

upschuck

That would only apply to the vans that are weighted at 10,000 lbs or less. Anything over is a DOT vehicle and requires a DOT driver.

Artee

It has to do with the new BMI checks at your physical and the associated hassle that brings on with the sleep apnea sleep tests. If you are on a CPAP you need to have records over the last 30 days. We have 10 guys that are not reporting they have sleep apnea on the DOT physical. They had to give one guy 30 days off so he could start using his machine again and bring in proof to the Dr. Anyone that does not have a need for a DOT license will be made non DOT and will be put in a corresponding vehicle.

Many trucking companies have been doing the BMI exam for a while although its been voluntary. Starting in 2014 its mandatory. Its caught 2 more of our people who were not previously diagnosed. They were given a 90 extension on their license and had to lose weight to get down past 35 on the BMI scale. At my physical last month the doc in the box told me the push over the last number of years has been blood pressure. Now its BMI and diabetes. He said in fact if you control diabetes with pills you no longer get a 2 years license. They have changed that to 1 year now.

vantexan

It has to do with the new BMI checks at your physical and the associated hassle that brings on with the sleep apnea sleep tests. If you are on a CPAP you need to have records over the last 30 days. We have 10 guys that are not reporting they have sleep apnea on the DOT physical. They had to give one guy 30 days off so he could start using his machine again and bring in proof to the Dr. Anyone that does not have a need for a DOT license will be made non DOT and will be put in a corresponding vehicle.

Many trucking companies have been doing the BMI exam for a while although its been voluntary. Starting in 2014 its mandatory. Its caught 2 more of our people who were not previously diagnosed. They were given a 90 extension on their license and had to lose weight to get down past 35 on the BMI scale. At my physical last month the doc in the box told me the push over the last number of years has been blood pressure. Now its BMI and diabetes. He said in fact if you control diabetes with pills you no longer get a 2 years license. They have changed that to 1 year now.
I've been on 1 year cards most of the last 10 years due to diabetes. My last physical 3 months ago had a BMI check. The question for me is since I'm under doctor's care for diabetes, which essentially is getting blood work a couple times a year plus prescriptions, will I and others like me still have to have DOT physicals if we're reclassified?

Artee

I've been on 1 year cards most of the last 10 years due to diabetes. My last physical 3 months ago had a BMI check. The question for me is since I'm under doctor's care for diabetes, which essentially is getting blood work a couple times a year plus prescriptions, will I and others like me still have to have DOT physicals if we're reclassified?

You will not need a physical to meet your terms of employment if you are a non dot driver.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

BMI etc.are secondary to the employee shortage. A smokescreen that disguises their real intentions.

STFXG

Was told all Sprinter and Isuzu Reach drivers fall under the DOT weight limit and will be declassified.
The reach is 12000 lbs gvw.

I think Express should keep everyone operating under DOT and just stop paying overtime. That would wave them more.

CJinx

BMI etc.are secondary to the employee shortage. A smokescreen that disguises their real intentions.
tinfoil-hats.jpg