Re Employment within a local.

Fullhouse

I am currently a Full time employee under the UPS/IBT retirement plan. Yes I was one of the 44,000 employees that were pulled out of Central States and placed into theUPS/IBT pension plan. I can only find limited information about any re employment restrictions for a retired Full time UPS employee.
So far the only restriction I can find is "you cannot work at UPS or one of companies.
My question is this-
Can an employee retire from UPS "33 years of combined service" and then work as a Business Agent at a local that has a labor agreement with UPS?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our (Upstate NY) pension fund limits the number of hours that you can work within the same industry to no more than 40 per month. This limit will be increased to 1000 hours per year if the proposed pension cuts are approved.

Truth be told, most locals do not have the resources to verify post-retirement employment.

As to your situation, I would say yes but with the caveat that your pension would most likely be put on hold while you are on their payroll.

Last edited:

Fullhouse

UPS pension couldn't answer my question because they have never received a question like that before. The young man I asked said UPS doesn't care we're you seek employment after you retire as long as it not with UPS or one of its companies! He did place me on hold to ask on if his supervisors but they couldn't answer the question as well!
My opinion is this..it is no different than retiring and working for Walmart! I have already earned my benefit from UPS so what does it matter to UPS if I go to work at my Local Union as a BA?
The only down side is this. I will have to renter the CS plan and since I will not be receiving any pension from CS until I turn 65 they shouldn't have any problem as well!
Anyhow I was told to call back Monday because the only person that might be able to answer my question is on vacation this week!

Fullhouse

What does your local say about this?
Well we beat them in the Election of Officers and they are not Happy! I don't think they would even give me an answer! Anyhow we will take office in 2017 and with 33 years in, I thought that I would look into the possibility of retiring instead of taking a leave of absence from UPS and then go to work for the local.
Word is, hall cut a deal with the UPS pension plan that would essentially give them, full time local employees that were on a leave of absence prior to 2008, the same deal as all full time employees that were pulled out of the CS plan and placed into the UPS/IBT plan. Yes, UPS would pay their retirement if CS goes under and they (UPS) would pay their (local union full time employees, retirement up to age 65.
Apparently this deal does not apply to anyone who began working for the Local after 2008. Those individuals will fall under Central States but the time accrued from then on will not be supported by UPS even if you go back to work at UPS. So without being able to gain more pension credit with UPS without directly working for them. I figured,since I have so much time in why put off retirement if I don't have to!

Last edited:

brownelf

If you're asking if you can retire and become a BA the answer is yes you can. But you cannot collect pension benefits while employed as a BA, the benefits are delayed but you will continue to add to your years of service as a BA. Was considering this route last year when our local was looking for a new BA and was asked if I'd be interested in the job. Our BA's are not in the UPS/IBT plan, when central states goes belly up they're toast. And they were all working for the local prior to 2008.

Fullhouse

Curious? I thought all BA's that were on a leave of absence from UPS prior to 2008 were entitled to to same retirement as the UPS full time employees! Even our own Officers and another Officer from a neighboring local have stated as such but no one knows, around hear, the answer to my question.
Hopefully I will get some answers come Monday!

brownelf

My BA has been on leave of absence from UPS since the early 80's, has been on the national negotiations team many times and is still not in the UPS/IBT plan. Some locals in the central states plan have this benefit but not ours, so it's not everyone. It's something you'll have to address to your local to be sure.

brownelf

Yep, in our local you take a leave of absence from UPS while an official of the local. That way you can return to UPS as an employee if you decide to leave the local or lose an election if you were originally a UPS employee.

Junkguy

UPS pension couldn't answer my question because they have never received a question like that before. The young man I asked said UPS doesn't care we're you seek employment after you retire as long as it not with UPS or one of its companies! He did place me on hold to ask on if his supervisors but they couldn't answer the question as well!
My opinion is this..it is no different than retiring and working for Walmart! I have already earned my benefit from UPS so what does it matter to UPS if I go to work at my Local Union as a BA?
The only down side is this. I will have to renter the CS plan and since I will not be receiving any pension from CS until I turn 65 they shouldn't have any problem as well!
Anyhow I was told to call back Monday because the only person that might be able to answer my question is on vacation this week!
There's no way I'd take that deal unless everybody up to the local president and the UPS rep signed off on it. You might try hall at the Charleston, WV Local 175. He made that mess maybe he can answer the question.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yep, in our local you take a leave of absence from UPS while an official of the local. That way you can return to UPS as an employee if you decide to leave the local or lose an election if you were originally a UPS employee.

That's the way it is around here. Our fearless Union Local leader was on leave for I'm guessing 25 years that I know of. He could have went back to UPS anytime he wanted.

Inthegame

My BA has been on leave of absence from UPS since the early 80's, has been on the national negotiations team many times and is still not in the UPS/IBT plan. Some locals in the central states plan have this benefit but not ours, so it's not everyone. It's something you'll have to address to your local to be sure.
That's the way it is around here. Our fearless Union Local leader was on leave for I'm guessing 25 years that I know of. He could have went back to UPS anytime he wanted.
Return rights for UPS members serving as local officers became effective in the '93-'97 CBA. Anyone serving in a union position prior to that contract was ineligible to return (unless rehired).