re organization of OTR. sleeper runs?

Has anyone heard anything about this? In Denver were hearing UPS is pulling numerous sleeper runs out of Ontario CA.,Creating new runs out of other hubs, and just outright cancelling others. Supervisors in Denver are being tight lipped about it. Just saying, "changes are coming in the sleeper division".

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Is it true that in the sleeper runs the lead driver bids on it then can pick his partner regardless of his or her seniority? Just curios, we have 3Day runs out of Oakland which is north of where I'm at so all we get are rumors. As close to these mythical sleeper runs out here that we get is seeing them on I-5 once in a while.

Is it true that in the sleeper runs the lead driver bids on it then can pick his partner regardless of his or her seniority? Just curios, we have 3Day runs out of Oakland which is north of where I'm at so all we get are rumors. As close to these mythical sleeper runs out here that we get is seeing the on I-5 once in a while.

I thought it was of all drivers on sleeper list,the senior picks his partner from a junior sleeper list driver.

raceanoncr

I thought it was of all drivers on sleeper list,the senior picks his partner from a junior sleeper list driver.

When sleepers started here, HERE, nobody wanted em so they had to go off street.

Now, "Sleeper Intent List" is put up. All those that would like to go, put their names on list. Senior driver picks his/her sleeper run, then picks his/her sleeper partner off that "Intent" list, regardless of seniority. Naturally, if you, as a senior driver, intended to go and you had somebody in mind, you'd talk to them first, right? RIGHT?

When sleepers started here, HERE, nobody wanted em so they had to go off street.

Now, "Sleeper Intent List" is put up. All those that would like to go, put their names on list. Senior driver picks his/her sleeper run, then picks his/her sleeper partner off that "Intent" list, regardless of seniority. Naturally, if you, as a senior driver, intended to go and you had somebody in mind, you'd talk to them first, right? RIGHT?

One would think. Hows it to be the bottom guy on the Intent list to pick and have only one guy on the Intent list to pick from. Hope you make friends quick. Plus I`ve seen a few M/friend driver combos. Explain that to the wife.

bluehdmc

Article 43, Section 2

a) Sleeper cab runs approved pursuant to the provisions of Article 43 will be
posted and employees may bid for such runs in accordance with the bidding
procedures set forth in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum. No
seniority employee shall be forced to drive in a sleeper cab run. A senior
driver who successfully bids a sleeper cab run shall be permitted to select
his/her respective sleeper cab team partner without regard to seniority,
provided that the driver selected as a partner has, prior to such bid,
acknowledged his agreement, in writing, to accept such permanent sleeper
cab run driving assignment and provided further that the selected partner
possesses the required qualifications

raceanoncr

Plus I`ve seen a few M/friend driver combos. Explain that to the wife.

Yeah, had that here too. One even axed me before I signed if I would take her for partner. Wasn't married at the time so it wouldn't have been a prob and she had some nice, uh, "attributes" that would've made the run "interesting" but declined. Just didn't want her for partner. Wanted someone I could trust driving and she wasn't it. She ended up w/someone else. No long employed with the company. Go figger.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
One would think. Hows it to be the bottom guy on the Intent list to pick and have only one guy on the Intent list to pick from. Hope you make friends quick. Plus I`ve seen a few M/friend driver combos. Explain that to the wife.
That could cause a problem.:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yeah, had that here too. One even axed me before I signed if I would take her for partner. Wasn't married at the time so it wouldn't have been a prob and she had some nice, uh, "attributes" that would've made the run "interesting" but declined. Just didn't want her for partner. Wanted someone I could trust driving and she wasn't it. She ended up w/someone else. No long employed with the company. Go figger.
So Race, what did you base your decision on? Was it because she was a woman or did you have legitimate concerns? :peaceful:

raceanoncr

So Race, what did you base your decision on? Was it because she was a woman or did you have legitimate concerns? :peaceful:

Dill, at the time, I wanted NOTHING to do w/sleepers. Didn't have anything to prevent me, just didn't want it. WWWEEELLL...after a couple years of these low to NO senior drivers dropping down 6-figure W-2s, I said, "Why not?"

This lady? Well, let me just relate this little incident before sleepers. She was driving back from seeing her daughter out of town in her little pickup. Icy. Slid off into median. Scared ****less! Gets out because of 4X4. Goes down the Interstate a few more miles and plays pinball with concrete-walled bridge. Destroys p/u this time. Now, wouldn't you think you'd learn from going into the median that MAYBE you should take it easy?

When I did decide to sleep-run, didn't want somebody this flakey of a driver. Also, she was pretty anxiety-prone. Would fall apart at the drop of a hat. I ain't dissing this condition, just don't want to try to sleep with somebody like that behind wheel.

My decision had nothing to do w/her being a female. I wanted somebody I could trust, as a driver and as a person. I found one. This guy I would trust with my, well, LIFE! And that's what it is too. \

To be truthful, yes, I did invision taking her with and getting down and dirty during delay times. BUT, I also did not want to do anything to jeopardize company standards, if there is such. Besides, mission was accomplished OFF the clock later, if you know what I mean.

bluehdmc

To be truthful, yes, I did invision taking her with and getting down and dirty during delay times. BUT, I also did not want to do anything to jeopardize company standards, if there is such. Besides, mission was accomplished OFF the clock later, if you know what I mean.

When I did the sleeper (only for a couple of months) we didn't have much delay time. Got to Fayette, MO fueled, showered, ate and ran back home. Got to Louisville, fueled, brushed teeth, and ran back home. When I went home I caught up on my sleep, I call them the "sleepless" teams. I would trust the other driver, just couldn't sleep in a moving bed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dill, at the time, I wanted NOTHING to do w/sleepers. Didn't have anything to prevent me, just didn't want it. WWWEEELLL...after a couple years of these low to NO senior drivers dropping down 6-figure W-2s, I said, "Why not?"

This lady? Well, let me just relate this little incident before sleepers. She was driving back from seeing her daughter out of town in her little pickup. Icy. Slid off into median. Scared ****less! Gets out because of 4X4. Goes down the Interstate a few more miles and plays pinball with concrete-walled bridge. Destroys p/u this time. Now, wouldn't you think you'd learn from going into the median that MAYBE you should take it easy?

When I did decide to sleep-run, didn't want somebody this flakey of a driver. Also, she was pretty anxiety-prone. Would fall apart at the drop of a hat. I ain't dissing this condition, just don't want to try to sleep with somebody like that behind wheel.

My decision had nothing to do w/her being a female. I wanted somebody I could trust, as a driver and as a person. I found one. This guy I would trust with my, well, LIFE! And that's what it is too. \

Based on what you said I wouldn't have wanted to take her on as a co-driver either. Can't say as I blame you any. I would say its a safe bet that you made the right choice, in all regards. Both personal and professional. :happy2:

over9five

Staff member
I couldn't do sleeper team. I could never trust anyone driving, there is no way I would get any sleep. And some of those guys smoke. No way would I be trapped in a tractor for days with a smoker.

To answer a few questions, but not my original:surprised:. The senior driver holds the bid, and can pick any qualified feeder driver he wants. It is very advantagous to befriend a senior driver so he picks you. That being said, you REALLY have to trust the driver who is behind the wheel. Of course UPS rules, get there safe, get the equiptment there safe, get the packages there on time. BUT, you really have to hustle, and drive in all weather conditions. Sleeping in the back, although comfortable, sucks! period. With our 3 day route it's worth the lack of sleep. We leave Tue. morning Denco to Meanj, back thur. Fri. Sat. Sun. Mon. off. This route being only 3 days is an 80k. route. Most others are six figures plus. I hope Denver gets some more!