REAL gop debate: has the gop lost touch with reality?

804brown

Well, if you consider Dick Morris a Neo-Liberal, it's a fair trade.

A decent perspective even if mis-labeled.

Wow, Frum at least is an intellectual. Morris is a toe- sucking pollster who plays a pundit on the fox "news" channel. Two very different beasts.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wow, Frum at least is an intellectual. Morris is a toe- sucking pollster who plays a pundit on the fox "news" channel. Two very different beasts.

My standards to be an intellectual are much higher than yours it seems.

Anybody that engages in tawdry election politics is not an intellectual ... period.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've never been a member of either party, always been an independent, but I used (back in my 20's and 30's) to align pretty closely with the republican party and voted republican fairly consistently. Reading that article reminded me of why I used to vote that way and also why I stopped. It wasn't me that changed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've never been a member of either party, always been an independent, but I used (back in my 20's and 30's) to align pretty closely with the republican party and voted republican fairly consistently. Reading that article reminded me of why I used to vote that way and also why I stopped. It wasn't me that changed.

I describe myself as an Independent too, I used to vote Democrat. Both partys have changed, and both for the worse. Too bad that we don't currently have a party that truly represents the majority of Americans. The last two decades I feel like I have to hold my nose every time I step into the voting place and vote for the lesser of two evils. I would like to see a viable third party start up and the career politicians voted out of office.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I also think I am independent. I vote for the best choice of two parties. Im registered democrat, but I havent voted that way in yrs. I did vote for clinton, but that was the last one. I try to pick the one who is going to hurt me least.

bbsam

Staff member
I also think I am independent. I vote for the best choice of two parties. Im registered democrat, but I havent voted that way in yrs. I did vote for clinton, but that was the last one. I try to pick the one who is going to hurt me least.
and if a candidate asks you to sacrifice? Does that constitute "hurting you"? Or is the reply that YOU sacrifice enough already? Is the self interested vote a patriotic vote?

I know lot of y'all won't believe it, but I have never been a registered anything. I've voted of republicans, democrats, libertarian and independents. I even voted for Kinky Freedman once against Rick Perry for governor.

This time around I may indeed vote for no one, but rest assured I will vote.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In New York you are asked to select a political party when you register; if you choose not to you will not be able to vote in the primaries but can vote in the general election.

I am a registered Democrat but vote the person, not the party.

In New York you are asked to select a political party when you register; if you choose not to you will not be able to vote in the primaries but can vote in the general election.

I am a registered Democrat but vote the person, not the party.
Technically we are registered as a "whatever" if/when we vote in a primary, so you can not vote in both primaries. What I meant in my previous post is that I am not a self proclaimed registered anything. In '08 I voted in the democratic primary but did not vote for all demos nor republicans in the general election.

and if a candidate asks you to sacrifice? Does that constitute "hurting you"? Or is the reply that YOU sacrifice enough already? Is the self interested vote a patriotic vote?

The question is rigged, either way she answers can be twisted.

Is the self interested vote unpatriotic?

My reply to the request for me to sacrifice is with the question, what are YOU sacrificing? Self interest? Maybe, but it is my responsibility to look after me.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Open primaries here so you don't have to register with either party, but they don't let you vote in both. Last time I voted in the democratic primary, this time it will be the republican one.

Open primaries here so you don't have to register with either party, but they don't let you vote in both. Last time I voted in the democratic primary, this time it will be the republican one.
Do they just stamp your voter reg card that you have already voted in a primary or is it all inter connected electronic data base to prevent the cross primary voting?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Do they just stamp your voter reg card that you have already voted in a primary or is it all inter connected electronic data base to prevent the cross primary voting?

They hold them in the same building on the same day, you tell'em which primary you're voting in and they point you in the right direction and check your name off the list. Technically according to Virginia's voting law you can vote in both primaries if they are held on different days. Neither party wants you to do that, so they set it up so you can't.

bbsam

Staff member
The question is rigged, either way she answers can be twisted.

Is the self interested vote unpatriotic?

My reply to the request for me to sacrifice is with the question, what are YOU sacrificing? Self interest? Maybe, but it is my responsibility to look after me.
I did not expect an answer. It is not rigged because there is no right or wrong answer. It is a question to get the individual thinking in broader context of we the people. If you want the point made differently, consider JFK's "Ask not what your country can do for you...". Are we as individuals beyond sacrificing for our country? Would we tell this candidate to pound sand? Just because the question is not easily answered does not mean it is rigged, only that it necessitates contemplation beyond the norm.