Real Leaders?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
So what are the odds of UPS ever inacting some sort of policy that would require its on road supes to stay in the office untill all of thier drivers are in for the day. During this last peak out of three supes and one center manager only one stayed at all with any regularity, and that was the only ex-driver. He was tired everyday but as drivers we all were very impressed and respected him for it. The others on the other hand for the most part only stayed late on Christmas eve. Maybe if they were forced to walk thier talk then maybe they would be more accurate in thier dispatches.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
So what are the odds of UPS ever inacting some sort of policy that would require its on road supes to stay in the office untill all of thier drivers are in for the day. During this last peak out of three supes and one center manager only one stayed at all with any regularity, and that was the only ex-driver. He was tired everyday but as drivers we all were very impressed and respected him for it. The others on the other hand for the most part only stayed late on Christmas eve. Maybe if they were forced to walk thier talk then maybe they would be more accurate in thier dispatches.
Not sure why anyone thinks this would happen?
Based on what drivers post on here, the company wants to cut costs by having longer driver dispatch.
On-road sups are responsible to make this happen.
If they make this happen and they have to stay until the last driver gets in, then they have to work longer hours.
Don't see the logic here.

local804

Not sure why anyone thinks this would happen?
Based on what drivers post on here, the company wants to cut costs by having longer driver dispatch.
On-road sups are responsible to make this happen.
If they make this happen and they have to stay until the last driver gets in, then they have to work longer hours.
Don't see the logic here.

They are salary

40 and out

Up to about 10 years ago, a supervisor did have to stay until the last driver was in. They would try to keep the dispatch within reason so they didn't have to stay until 9 or 10 o'clock. It will never go back to that way. Most of my management is gone by 5 or 6 except for 1 sup who seems to live in the office. Why you would stay when you're not getting paid to is beyond me.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i remember several years back a christmas eve where the center manager and my delivery sup waited till i got back from delivery. they missed the projections and stop count, and it was 3:30 in the morning when i returned. they were not too happy, but neither was my wife.

that was the last christmas eve that i ever worked past around 9 or so.

but that was also the last time any manager waited either.

d

helenofcalifornia

Telematics will eliminate the need for any on-road supe. Only a dispatch supe will be needed. Maybe there will be a TV on the wall with a live feed of a big wig in the district office if we have any questions or comments.

browndevil

Telematics will eliminate the need for any on-road supe. Only a dispatch supe will be needed. Maybe there will be a TV on the wall with a live feed of a big wig in the district office if we have any questions or comments.
Ya, and that dispatch sup will be doing that job in India in front of a bank of computers:happy2:

randomUPSISer

Ive got to ask... why do you guys think they would stay there? The incentives are setup for them to get out as soon as possible. They are salary after all. To top that off, they are in the center hearing BS from above them, and from you guys. Lastly, they didnt get a raise last year. Would you stay?

Is it actually hurting anything if they arent there when you return? Would you be on here complaining about the supervisors waiting for you because "they dont trust me" if they did sit there until you returned?

I dont really see a problem with them leaving before you do.

A

anonymous6

Ive got to ask... why do you guys think they would stay there? The incentives are setup for them to get out as soon as possible. They are salary after all. To top that off, they are in the center hearing BS from above them, and from you guys. Lastly, they didnt get a raise last year. Would you stay?

Is it actually hurting anything if they arent there when you return? Would you be on here complaining about the supervisors waiting for you because "they dont trust me" if they did sit there until you returned?

I dont really see a problem with them leaving before you do.

and they want us to care?

from the movie "remember the titans"

"attitude reflects leadership" or is it the other way around?

drinking OP.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't really care if they wait or not, as long the people they report to are happy with their performance that's all that matters. Honestly most nights I'd rather they were gone when I get in so I can just punch out and go home without having to talk to anyone. I've never viewed UPS management as "leaders" anyway. They're there to make a buck like everyone else, they just have a different job.

helenofcalifornia

You ask any supervisor now when they can retire and they will tell you the exact date. They all are just waiting to bail out themselves. Sad, because some of those waiting to retire are good people whose experience and skills the company will miss. Well, maybe not. By then the managers in charge won't know a damn thing other than how to take conference calls and do what ever their bosses dictate. No one will be thin king for themselves any more. JMHO

UPSSOCKS

That's one of the perks of being management. Put your resume in if your jealous.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, put your resume in if you want a job going nowhere, with a job that garners no respect from the ones that you work with. Sounds like a plan to me Socks.

DS

Fenderbender
telematics will never be a fix all to the day to day production issues,
it may help get rid of some slackers,but they are few and far between,
the nature of our job requires compassion for our customers needs,not how many stops you did today.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I'm with Mace on this one, I'd far rather them just go on home and that way I can get out the door and home myself. They usually start a couple hours before I do anyhow, all things considered they probably don't care to see me at night either. Fine by me. Buh-bye.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Wow; I sincerely hope you all are not serious about your view on management. I'm a manager.....
I just want to get MY job done and go home