Rear-Ended

MassWineGuy

I was driving along in my Express van the other day and needed to make a left turn into a shopping plaza. The road had one lane in each direction and was a no passing zone. Not a highway, average speed was 30 mph or less.

I signaled left about 250 feet before the turn, slowed and began turning. As I did I felt a slight jolt, then in my left side mirror saw a car moving across the back of the van diagonally front to back along the passenger side. We pulled over.

The driver was upset but not nasty. He said I didn’t signal and that I cut him off. The passenger door to his Lexus was pretty well scratched and dented.

First, he hit me from behind. If I cut him off he had to have been trying to pass me in a no passing zone. Also, his registration expired two months ago.

I sure hope this event is considered unavoidable.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
They will review the footage from your back up cam....

giphy.gif

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He can say whatever he wants. He was either speeding, not paying attention, following too closely, or some combination thereof. What did the police determine?

MassWineGuy

Police weren’t present. But I probably will send an accident report. I’d think no registration would pique their interest.

If there happens to be recorded video, I’m not that worried.

And what are those small rectangular black plastic satellite boxes on top of every dashboard?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Police weren’t present. But I probably will send an accident report.

If there happens to be recorded video, I’m not that worried.
And what are those small rectangular black plastic satellite boxes on top of every dashboard?

Why wouldn't you call the cops if you're in an accident?
Anyhow, those boxes handle GPS and other telematics information.

MassWineGuy

Don’t know. I called my manager right away. She didn’t suggest calling the police. There were no injuries and damage, although disturbing to the other guy, wasn’t that major. I also needed to get back to my route. Not a scratch on my van.

Oh, what other telematics?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Don’t know. I called my manager right away. She didn’t suggest calling the police. There were no injuries and damage, although disturbing to the other guy, wasn’t that major. I also needed to get back to my route. Not a scratch on my van.

tumblr_mrqco7HBcH1qadupho1_400.gif

11.19igrad

you cant leave the scene no matter what

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
you cant leave the scene no matter what
Don't know about Massachusetts but in Texas if there is no injury involved, you exchange insurance information and you can go about your way.

Also, in my experience, FedEx ALWAYS sends a manager to the scene to insure that all protocols are followed, and then rides with the courier to determine that they are able to complete the route without further incident.

MassWineGuy

Don't know about Massachusetts but in Texas if there is no injury involved, you exchange insurance information and you can go about your way.

Also, in my experience, FedEx ALWAYS sends a manager to the scene to insure that all protocols are followed, and then rides with the courier to determine that they are able to complete the route without further incident.

My manager did not come to the scene. I’ve never heard of that policy. I think you’re right re: no injuries. It wasn’t like either party hit and run.

MassWineGuy

Try to go to all the stores and pull video of accident from cameras... it’s your only hope

If that’s my only hope, I’m out of luck. Stores don’t usually share their video.

What are some reasons that this could be called avoidable?

— Should have used the eyes in the back of your head.

— Shouldn’t have cut him off, even if you didn’t.

— Should have employed your spidey sense and felt the presence of the other driver.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
I’m curious if our telematics would confirm that you used your signal? I think they do record speed, GPS, seatbelt usage (in those vans with seatbelt sensors), etc.

I had a dude back into me at his house once. I was parked across the street and he just smashed into my truck. Ruled as a non-preventable thankfully so I didn’t have to fight it.

falcon back

If you did indeed signal 250 ft or so before the turn, he might have thought you were lost or confused. Way too long to use a turn signal and sends a false signal to other motorists.

MassWineGuy

If you did indeed signal 250 ft or so before the turn, he might have thought you were lost or confused. Way too long to use a turn signal and sends a false signal to other motorists.

At my speed and distance until the turn, the signal would’ve started seven seconds before turning. Not too long imho.

I’m curious if our telematics would confirm that you used your signal? I think they do record speed, GPS, seatbelt usage (in those vans with seatbelt sensors), etc.

I had a dude back into me at his house once. I was parked across the street and he just smashed into my truck. Ruled as a non-preventable thankfully so I didn’t have to fight it.