Reasonable cause testing for package car drivers

JustAnumber1

No I was not, and if I'm not mistaken dot regulations say that the observer has to be a supervisor at the company you work for. I resigned and this is a moot point, although I do feel like a had solid ground to fight from, the union still said I couldn't win. My question has been answered by helpful people on brown cafe. Much of this discussion has been highjacked by those that want to go on antidrug rants. I really am amazed at how far detached from reality some people are, ups employs 400,000 people and yet some posters seem to think I was the only person employed by ups that has ever smoked weed. When in fact, i smoked weed with a buddy from ups, resulting in me failing a test. My buddy is still there and I'm pretty sure he smokes about everyday, as plenty of othe friends from ups do.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1423842202.788719.jpg

About time to fire one up isn't it?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No I was not, and if I'm not mistaken dot regulations say that the observer has to be a supervisor at the company you work for. I resigned and this is a moot point, although I do feel like a had solid ground to fight from, the union still said I couldn't win. My question has been answered by helpful people on brown cafe. Much of this discussion has been highjacked by those that want to go on antidrug rants. I really am amazed at how far detached from reality some people are, ups employs 400,000 people and yet some posters seem to think I was the only person employed by ups that has ever smoked weed. When in fact, i smoked weed with a buddy from ups, resulting in me failing a test. My buddy is still there and I'm pretty sure he smokes about everyday, as plenty of othe friends from ups do.
Names?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

So, I was never observed by a supervisor, there was no written record made, what part of this am I misinterpreting?
First of all that is alcohol. But that isn't surprising with you. Second if two supervisors are suspicious that you are high or drunk you can be sent to be tested. We have training that allows us to do such.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Your not required to take a class or anything else you never had a CDL and your regular driver was never suspended. IF the DOT was notified and you had to do something your would have been notified by them.

Just a little FYI if you get a CDL and a job that requires you to have a CDL you can be drug test at anytime for any reason. Also most companies have random unannounced drug test and the DOT could show up and do there own unannounced Drug test.

As a UPS package car driver the only way for you to get drug tested was to:

1. Give them a reason to test you (you behavior)
2. All ready failed #1 and part of your treated program and agreement to keep working at UPS is to agree to unannounced drug test at anytime.

As a UPS Feeder Driver you can be test at anytime as stated above.
For the most part you are correct.

"Just a little FYI if you get a CDL and a job that requires you to have a CDL you can be drug test at anytime for any reason."

This statement is incorrect. UPS cannot just order a drug test on a feeder driver for any reason.

The rest is correct. There are 4 reasons:

1. Pre-qualification
2. Reasonable cause
3. Post accident
4. Random.

Random is not UPS picking somebody. Random is done by a computer with the whole pool of DOT mandated drivers. Kind of like a random number generator.

JustAnumber1

First of all that is alcohol. But that isn't surprising with you. Second if two supervisors are suspicious that you are high or drunk you can be sent to be tested. We have training that allows us to do such.

Really, so what are they referring to when they say controlled substances? I'm the pothead here, what's your excuse for your inability to read and understand plain English? You asked me to post where I got that, I did, then you say that's for alcohol, please inform the dot they got the regulations wrong, they made a reference to controlled substances when obviously they didn't mean to, because they only meant to address alcohol.

JustAnumber1

and again, why is it so hard for you to read and comprehend? I never said I didn't understand when/how/why they could test me. I said they violated the rules when they tested me, because there was no observation made, they took the word of a coworker, which I'm sure you'll argue as well, but again, the regulations explicitly say that is not permissible.

542thruNthru

Ok ok! You got your answer right? SO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO AWAY ALREADY!!!!!!

No one here wants to hear you complain anymore and we sure as hell don't wanna read another long winded speech by TOS.

ibleedbrown

your positive drug test will be sent to all of your future potential employees for life, also the dea, fbi, cia, tsa, in laws and dept of homeland security. have a nice day :)

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
  • What did you do at UPS to give them a reason to suspect you were a user.
    IIRC, his story was, he made a joke about being driven to heroin use to his peak season helper while frustrated with having a rental & having to make a payment so he could use his personal phone for something like a map or directions to a stop.
That was the "2 trained supervisors observation"-a seasonal helper with no sense of humor.

JustAnumber1

dont you have the option of not continuing to read this thread? If you don't want to hear me complain, why would you continue reading? the only complaint I have is that so many people have gotten on here not to offer any help but to condemn me. There have actually been a few people that have tried to help and offer advice and for that, I'm very appreciative. Thanks to all that have offered useful advice and tried to help.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Really, so what are they referring to when they say controlled substances? I'm the pothead here, what's your excuse for your inability to read and understand plain English? You asked me to post where I got that, I did, then you say that's for alcohol, please inform the dot they got the regulations wrong, they made a reference to controlled substances when obviously they didn't mean to, because they only meant to address alcohol.

and again, why is it so hard for you to read and comprehend? I never said I didn't understand when/how/why they could test me. I said they violated the rules when they tested me, because there was no observation made, they took the word of a coworker, which I'm sure you'll argue as well, but again, the regulations explicitly say that is not permissible.
Coming from the guy who keeps confusing federal law and a union contract.

Enjoy unemployment. Hope they give you a stipend for dope.

P

pickup

• IIRC, his story was, he made a joke about being driven to heroin use to his peak season helper while frustrated with having a rental & having to make a payment so he could use his personal phone for something like a map or directions to a stop.
That was the "2 trained supervisors observation"-a seasonal helper with no sense of humor.

i think the last sentence could use a bit of correction. The seasonal helper's notification of said comment to management caused at least two supervisors to observe the original poster's behavior. That observation preceded his being sent for a drug test. Just because he did not know he was being supervised did not mean it didn't happen.