Reattempting a delivery...

brownrodster

They don't enforce the dup stop thing here. However, I talked to a sup a long while back who told me that when we get pas/edd they will. Right now you use your judgement to decide if dup is necessary. For instance if I go in and deliver 10 packages then come back to the truck and find 1 more I will use the dup feature. However, If on road somewhere I find another package hidden on the wrong shelf for a place I've already been to then hell no I'm not using dup. I think as long as we are not trying to falsify our sporh we're fine here.

browniehound

That is the procedure that they want us to follow in my center if you are able to redeliver a stop--go in to the first attempt, void all pkg(s) and then void the stop. However, be careful if there are any premium pkgs as voiding them will may cause the redelivery to show a late delivery of these products. I normally just use duplicate stop as it is a more accurate record and I am not padding stops. I hate send agains so I do all that I can to swing back and try to get rid of them later in the day. My route allows me to do this as I basically repeat the same loop twice during the day, once for deliveries and second for pickups.

The void function is there for a reason and if you use it correctly you won't be disciplined.

For example, group 2 exceptions (moved, need suite, NS #, NSP, NS street, NI3, refused, etc.) not coming off car and going to the clerk was a big issue in my center recently. We were informed that we as drivers were simply not doing our jobs and taking these packages to the clerk.

It became such a focus of the management team, that if we sheeted a package "need suite" in the morning but got a call in the afternoon with the suite # and delivered it we would still show up on the list.

To avoid being show on the report, any group 2 exeptions sheeted earlier must be voided and then sheeted correctly without using the duplicate stop button.

If you are instucted to go back to a stop then I don't think you should use the duplicate key. I'm told to go back to a res. stop at least 3 times per week. I can be on the other side of town, yet still be told to go back.

How can I make my numbers when I waste 20 minutes breaking trace to re-attempt a res. delivery? How can our management team make its goal of reducing miles when all its planning goes out the window because of one residential customer crying that he needs his package TODAY!

I think UPS really needs to put their collective feet down now with the price of fuel where it is. No re-attempts in the same day. Think about how much we lose as a company re-attempting resi's in the same day! We are talking fuel and labor (our biggest costs) to make 2 attempts in one day for a resindential ground (our least revenue generator) package!

I also think we should make 2 delivery attempts now instead of 3. After 2 attempts, let the customer re-route it to their work or a relative's house. This is what eventually happens now after 3 attempts, let's make after 2 now. Anyone agree?

browniehound

Sorry to ramble here, but I would make exceptions to my above thoughts. I'm thinking certain important items should be re-attempted. Certain time-sensitive materials, live saving medications and gifts due by a certain date should be re-attempted to keep our service reputation intact.

I just don't think Juniors X-box repair or Sally's mystery novel from Amazon should be given a 2nd attempt in the same day when you are 5 miles from Junior's or Sally's house when their dad asks dispatch if you can come back.

A quick look at the math will show how fast the profit from this package turns into a cost. 10 miles round trip in the UPS vehicle equals 1+ gallons of fuel, which equals $4. 20 minutes of labor at overtime for a driver is about $14.

This $18 is wasted money by UPS. This $18 comes after the costs coming from pickup, driving to the center, unloaded, sorted, loaded, driven by feeder, unloaded again, sorted, preloaded, and then the first attempt made by the driver. Its a wonder how we make any money?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I make reattempts whenever possible if they are not too far out of the way. I basically cover most of my area running NDAs first. When I get on my trace, I will make reattempts on NDAs while in that neighborhood. If I have time, I will reattempt a Ground if I am driving past it on the way to make my Pick Ups or heading back to the building. I don't like looking at the same packages two days in a row, and the consignee is very happy with UPS too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had an obviously expensive pkg for a dumpy apt complex and the consignee was not home and there was no way I was going to indirect it so I left a notice with my cell and the center number. The consignee called the toll free instead, the OMS sent me a message to put the pkg on hold, I called her and asked her to call the consignee to tell her that I would be at her door in 2 minutes. Short story, consignee happy, no send again. I should add that our center is kind of in the middle of nowhere so it is a pain for consignees to come and p/u pkgs. I also had 2 potential send agains, 1 need apt # and the other a sig req, and I was able to reattempt and get rid of both thanks to my cell. My route is fairly dense with the furthest points less than 10 minutes away from each other so this affords me the luxury of being able to do this.

I have posted before about how effective a cell phone can be. Well, I had a situation where I did all that I could to save time and it still didn't matter. I had a COD for a pizza shop and I called the owner early hoping that I would have a check waiting for me as I deliver that area during lunch. I gave him all of the information and asked him to please have a check ready but I got there and it was like it was the first that he had heard of the pkg. I spent 5 minutes at that stop where I should have been in and out in 30 seconds and been on my way. I used to eat there about once a week but now will dine elsewhere if he can't be bothered.

Thursday I had a package for McDonalds, my first pass by was during the noon rush (no way was I gonna even try), the second was around 4ish pm. There were like 6 people working behind the counter, drive up window and kitchen area. Three customers inline. I moved to the end of the counter, set the small box on the counter and waited and waited and waited as more customers came in and were served without them even acknowledging my presence. 10 minutes pass by, still no one offered to sign, no one even said " be right with you" or "kiss my foot", I took the package and left: No signer available went into my svc cross.

BigBrownSanta

My philosophy is, one attempt per day unless directed otherwise. If directed to reattempt, I dup the second attempt and void the first attempt. My center management knows I will not reattempt voluntarily and packages have placed back on my truck for 4th and 5th attempts. Believe it or not, even some of those don''t get delivered.

The OMS's know that if someone needs their package, they can arrange to have them meet me at the UPS Store when I am picking up.

browniehound - as long as we're wishing, NDA to residentials should not be commited until end of day. I don't know how many times I have come back to deliver ground and found the NDA still sitting on the porch.

Scratch - good choice of words. It's consignees, not customers. Customers ship, consignees receive. The service is to the shipper, not the receiver. As long as the shipper gets paid and the package is out of their warehouse, they don't care how many attempts it takes to get delivered.

Big BS

If directed to reattempt, I dup the second attempt and void the first attempt.
Big BS
I reckon this is ok, if it works for you, but doing it this way you do not get time allowance for the delivery, either time. Next time you do this, BEFORE you void or use "dup" check your summary of stops completed. The number goes down when you void the the attempt and does not change when you use "dup". I even had to demonstrate this to my center manager for him to believe me.

BigBrownSanta

I reckon this is ok, if it works for you, but doing it this way you do not get time allowance for the delivery, either time. Next time you do this, BEFORE you void or use "dup" check your summary of stops completed. The number goes down when you void the the attempt and does not change when you use "dup". I even had to demonstrate this to my center manager for him to believe me.

You're right. That's exactly why I do it. It's not my numbers, it's their numbers. :wink:

Big BS

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thursday I had a package for McDonalds, my first pass by was during the noon rush (no way was I gonna even try), the second was around 4ish pm. There were like 6 people working behind the counter, drive up window and kitchen area. Three customers inline. I moved to the end of the counter, set the small box on the counter and waited and waited and waited as more customers came in and were served without them even acknowledging my presence. 10 minutes pass by, still no one offered to sign, no one even said " be right with you" or "kiss my foot", I took the package and left: No signer available went into my svc cross.
Mcdonalds, Put it on the list with Walgreens, at least at McDonalds, you can "see" you are being ignored.
Screw them too, tomorrow is another day!! Courtesy works both ways.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our McD's is set up with an open ended counter. When I deliver to them I walk around the counter and stand in the middle of their paths. Busy or not, I never have a problem getting a signature.:surprised:

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Once you get EDD/PAS if you void a stop or do not hit DUP when redelivering the same day your manager will have a chat with you about your methods.Before EDD/PAS I also voided redeliveries and never used the DUP key.After our chat I am now educated on proper redelivery methods.

Once you get EDD/PAS if you void a stop or do not hit DUP when redelivering the same day your manager will have a chat with you about your methods.Before EDD/PAS I also voided redeliveries and never used the DUP key.After our chat I am now educated on proper redelivery methods.
I'm sorry looper, I'm confused about your post. Please explain.
Scenario: You go to a stop and can't leave package for what ever reason and hit stop complete w/ proper exception noted. You then re-attempt later......then what is the proper redelivery method ?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I'm sorry looper, I'm confused about your post. Please explain.
Scenario: You go to a stop and can't leave package for what ever reason and hit stop complete w/ proper exception noted. You then re-attempt later......then what is the proper redelivery method ?

You scan the pkg,hit the DUP key,get signature,hit stop complete.Done.No voiding.According to the Sup that runs the PAS/EDD voiding pkgs and not hitting DUP key messes up the PAS/EDD system.Not sure how but we have been pcm'd on it many times.Drivers that don't use the DUP key are briught in to the office and are directed to do so in the future or face discipline.

upsdude

Simple test in our center. If you have previously scanned the package (same day) you must use the "Dup" key.

I don't worry about time credit for a 2nd attempt. We don't abide by UPS numbers anyway, check the contract. Fair day's work, fair day's pay, do your best and give 100%.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

we use EDD. If I go to a stop and its closed I sheet it up as closed then and there. If i go back later, for whatever reason then I sheet it up again. The fact is it is two stops. INTEGRITY, people , You put everything in the board that you do in your workday. If I make two attempts on a package then i get two stops. Another example of this is delivering to condos or apptmts, if the resident isnt home then NI1 scan info note stop complete. then i rescan it , deliver, left at , manager ,signature, enter. thats double credit also. No one has ever told me different and I`m not cheating or looking for a quick extra stop Im recording what im doing , when i`m doing it

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
we use EDD. If I go to a stop and its closed I sheet it up as closed then and there. If i go back later, for whatever reason then I sheet it up again. The fact is it is two stops. INTEGRITY, people , You put everything in the board that you do in your workday. If I make two attempts on a package then i get two stops. Another example of this is delivering to condos or apptmts, if the resident isnt home then NI1 scan info note stop complete. then i rescan it , deliver, left at , manager ,signature, enter. thats double credit also. No one has ever told me different and I`m not cheating or looking for a quick extra stop Im recording what im doing , when i`m doing it
While yes you are recording your time correctly, thats not the way they want it done HERE. I also thought you really should show how your time is being used....but forenot. If you duplicate 5 stops, that means they can give you five more tomorrow, til you have no time in the day to reattempt.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have so many misloads and can't finds and people running packages to each other that there's no way any supe would have a clue about who did what and why.

browniehound

I make reattempts whenever possible if they are not too far out of the way. I basically cover most of my area running NDAs first. When I get on my trace, I will make reattempts on NDAs while in that neighborhood. If I have time, I will reattempt a Ground if I am driving past it on the way to make my Pick Ups or heading back to the building. I don't like looking at the same packages two days in a row, and the consignee is very happy with UPS too.

I agree with you 100% Scratch. If the stop is in my area during my pick-ups I will make a re-attempt, or if the stop is in the area that I take back to the center.

I was talking about re-attempts that are miles away from the trace you are running. It defeats the purpose of trying to run effeciently when some egg-head needs his I-pod on a friday before he goes skiing for the weekend but can't stay home to sign for it when he knows its coming that day!

I know I get paid by the hour, but the job is difficult enough to do each stop once. It makes it impossible when consignees and pick-up accounts are asking you to come back a 2nd time:whiteflag: