Recalls other than GM or FORD

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
Another piece of evidence...
...that corporations can't be trusted to regulate themselves.
The RW argument is that corporations "will do the right thing" because if they don't and things go wrong, it'll hurt their business. So we can trust them to regulate themselves.
Here in the real world, they'll cut corners and rely on "prayer" that nothing goes wrong before they'll spend a dime on self-regulation.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Who cares......if your car is recalled, you will get a letter or hear about it on the news.
Not so. We broke down 2 weeks ago. The truck was in limp mode. Message engine powering down, stabiltrak needs service. Once I finally got it towed home, I researched the message. And had it towed to the dealer, once I could find one that would take it. I got the bullsh**, "whatever it is is not covered under warranty, blah blah" My question was, how do you know when you dont even know.
I got it fixed for free, and drove a 2014 Silverado for two days, because it was a recall. I never got a letter, and when I typed in my vin, there was no recall. But their was a recall, and the dealer I took it to found it. Without persistence and some research I would have had a 800 dollar bill

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Not so. We broke down 2 weeks ago. The truck was in limp mode. Message engine powering down, stabiltrak needs service. Once I finally got it towed home, I researched the message. And had it towed to the dealer, once I could find one that would take it. I got the bullsh**, "whatever it is is not covered under warranty, blah blah" My question was, how do you know when you dont even know.
I got it fixed for free, and drove a 2014 Silverado for two days, because it was a recall. I never got a letter, and when I typed in my vin, there was no recall. But their was a recall, and the dealer I took it to found it. Without persistence and some research I would have had a 800 dollar bill
You had a TSB .
Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles.
Not to be confused with recalls, a TSB is issued by a vehicle manufacturer when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated problem.
TSBs can range from vehicle-specific to covering entire product lines and break down the specified repair into a step-by-step process.
While sometimes written by engineers employed by OEMs, the majority are authored by the first automotive technician to come up with a repair procedure. Because certain problems may have more than one cause or there are sometimes more than one way to fix a problem, it's somewhat common for there to be more than one TSB for the same problem.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You had a TSB .
Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles.
Not to be confused with recalls, a TSB is issued by a vehicle manufacturer when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated problem.
TSBs can range from vehicle-specific to covering entire product lines and break down the specified repair into a step-by-step process.
While sometimes written by engineers employed by OEMs, the majority are authored by the first automotive technician to come up with a repair procedure. Because certain problems may have more than one cause or there are sometimes more than one way to fix a problem, it's somewhat common for there to be more than one TSB for the same problem.
TSB's, also known as silent recalls. The difference comes down to lawsuits, TSB's generally don't pose a safety risk, so the liability is small.

The issue doesn't generate enough lawsuits to warrant a public announcement, so they keep it hush hush. The problem is that if you don't get your car serviced by a dealership (and persistently complain after doing your own research), you'd never know.

"Take the number of vehicles in the field, (A), and multiply it by the probable rate of failure, (B), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement, (C).
A times B times C equals X..
If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
-Jack

oldngray

nowhere special
TSB's, also known as silent recalls. The difference comes down to lawsuits, TSB's generally don't pose a safety risk, so the liability is small.

The issue doesn't generate enough lawsuits to warrant a public announcement, so they keep it hush hush. The problem is that if you don't get your car serviced by a dealership (and persistently complain after doing your own research), you'd never know.

"Take the number of vehicles in the field, (A), and multiply it by the probable rate of failure, (B), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement, (C).
A times B times C equals X..
If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
-Jack

I remember Ford had one of those secret recalls on their 3.8L engines about 20 years ago. The head gaskets would blow at about 100k miles. The fix was to replace the head gasket bolts but nobody knew about it. I had 2 cars with that engine and both blew at about 100k miles (90k and 105k). There was a big class action suit over it but Ford stalled so more cars would be off the road by the time they had to pay.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember Ford had one of those secret recalls on their 3.8L engines about 20 years ago. The head gaskets would blow at about 100k miles. The fix was to replace the head gasket bolts but nobody knew about it. I had 2 cars with that engine and both blew at about 100k miles (90k and 105k). There was a big class action suit over it but Ford stalled so more cars would be off the road by the time they had to pay.

Wasn't the same tactic used back when Ford was having all the trouble with Firestone tires---stalling.

oldngray

nowhere special
Wasn't the same tactic used back when Ford was having all the trouble with Firestone tires---stalling.

My dad had a car with those Firestone 500 radials. They replaced them fairly quickly with Firestone 721's but did prorate the tread wear so it wasn't really a fair trade.

rod

Retired 22 years
My dad had a car with those Firestone 500 radials. They replaced them fairly quickly with Firestone 721's but did prorate the tread wear so it wasn't really a fair trade.

I think I remember hearing that Ford had really drug their feet on replacing those Firestones because they figured the longer they could hold out the less tires would still be on the road.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There was no TSB, or letter. When that thing was shutting down if I had been on ice I would have had a wild ride. It only had 21 when I got it and 50 now. It had never been in a shop.