Received Financial Windfall. Would You Consider Early Retirement?

A

anonymous6

A little while ago my wife and i received a financial windfall. It's basically money we earned over a 5 yr period which was finally released to us. We earned it.

With about 5 yrs to go I am really tempted to retire early and do the things I have planned for many years.

What should I consider?

moreluck

golden ticket member
A little while ago my wife and i received a financial windfall. It's basically money we earned over a 5 yr period which was finally released to us. We earned it.

With about 5 yrs to go I am really tempted to retire early and do the things I have planned for many years.

What should I consider?

Will you have sufficient Medical coverage. If you won't, your windfall will disappear fast!

rod

Retired 22 years
#1---the amount you have available
#2-- the amount you need to maintain what you consider a normal life style

It isn't rocket science-------if #1 is more than #2 then go for it.

DorkHead

I would work the final 5 yrs. Who knows what can happen in the next 5. The financial windfall will always be there.

A

anonymous6

Will you have sufficient Medical coverage. If you won't, your windfall will disappear fast!

won't i still have med coverage with early retirement? I know I have topay so much a month. med bennies are a big thing for us.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
won't i still have med coverage with early retirement? I know I have topay so much a month. med bennies are a big thing for us.

I think it depends on how early. Are you "locked in" to your plan? In other words, if you leave now are you still going to collect your pension at some point? Not possible in Western Conference unless you are locked, and just wanting to leave and will just wait until your age without additional years of service qualifies you.

One thing is certain; it will get more expensive the older you get. If you were planning on some other income producing activity (part time job?) along with your pension at reg ret age, maybe you could do it. It must be tempting though!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would work until it gets closer to 2013, at least. Take the temperature of the company then. If a strike appears imminent, retire before. If not, continue for your full 30. This is dependent on your pension fund not changing the rules, which they did here. You put so much time into this career. The full retirement would make your life much easier. Good luck to you whatever you decide. :peaceful:

browndevil

What should I consider?
Are you sure it wasn't your twin and his wife? :)

rod

Retired 22 years
Actually if you know you are financially covered for the rest of your life you may want to consider working a little longer. Just do it on your terms - not theirs. Imagine the fun you could have if you knew that being fired wasn't a big deal. All the pressure to keep them off your back would disappear and you could go about your day at your leisure. Call in sick a couple days a week, ask for an 8 hour dispatch every day, go on comp, bring back what you don't feel like delivering, post irrelevant youtube videos ---heck the choises are endless. You could drive them nuts.

Nimnim

The Nim
Actually if you know you are financially covered for the rest of your life you may want to consider working a little longer. Just do it on your terms - not theirs. Imagine the fun you could have if you knew that being fired wasn't a big deal. All the pressure to keep them off your back would disappear and you could go about your day at your leisure. Call in sick a couple days a week, ask for an 8 hour dispatch every day, go on comp, bring back what you don't feel like delivering, post irrelevant youtube videos ---heck the choises are endless. You could drive them nuts.

I'd normally agree with this kinda mentality, heck it sounds quite fun, but think of the customers that would potentially suffer more.

Sign a porter bid then raise some hell.