Received Financial Windfall. Would You Consider Early Retirement?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A little while ago my wife and i received a financial windfall. It's basically money we earned over a 5 yr period which was finally released to us. We earned it.

With about 5 yrs to go I am really tempted to retire early and do the things I have planned for many years.

What should I consider?

Retire early if you KNOW you can do some comfortably. Any questions at all regarding finances and etc, stay employed.

The only other point is, if you were truly ready to retire both emotionally physically, there would be "no question" and you would not be here asking. Just 'sayin, you probably are not ready.

Congrats!

klein

Für Meno :)
Definitly talk to a financial advisor. You want to protect your money against a future lower US dollar, besides you want it to grow. The quicker the better.
Right now, Silver is a good bet. It recently fell 27% from it's high.
Besides that, maybe some bonds of a basket of foreign currency.

I'm certain a good advisor, will help your money grow, and hopefully quicker then you can earn it ! :)

Just remember, both budget plans (dems and reps), call for about $10 Trillion more national debt within 10 years (give or take 2 Trillion).
So, you need to protect yourself, the interest rates won't do it for you !

Babagounj

Strength through joy
set up a medical trust, to protect your assets should you require to use a nursing home. The system requires 5 years for them to take effect.

klein

Für Meno :)
I forgot about real estate, and how cheap it's in the US now.
Maybe consider buying a second house and renting it out, or even 2, and live off that money ! :)

Besides, you'll gain value on the homes in the future - they sure can't go much lower !

moreluck

golden ticket member
I forgot about real estate, and how cheap it's in the US now.
Maybe consider buying a second house and renting it out, or even 2, and live off that money ! :)

Besides, you'll gain value on the homes in the future - they sure can't go much lower !
Oh yeah, so simple !! We owned 13 rental homes / duplexes / fourplexes and we ran them ourselves. It was the hardest job ever and just when you make some $$$, along comes vacancies and tenants who trash places because they are ignorant!! We were lucky that all the properties doubled in value when it came time to sell them. That's not happening now......Timing is everything. I'm in-kleined to not be in favor of real estate at this time. Maybe REITS.....but they are feeling the economy slowdown too.

barnyard

KTM rider
When you get to that point where you are drawing your last breaths, I guaran:censored2:ingtee that you will not be saying, "Man, I wished I worked more."

John19841

I might have missed this somewhere, and not trying to be rude, but how old are you? (I admit to not reading most of this thread) I think that would play a huge part in the outcome of your little debacle. You don't have much time left for a full pension, but you still could be in your 40's or in your 70's for all I know. I'm not financial advisor, and up until recently I didn't even have 'fair' credit, lol but here's my take.

You never said how much this 'windfall' was, which is another key item missing. You need to figure out your monthly bills (realistically) and set a monthly budget. How long will the windfall last just paying your bills? If it's 10 years, I'd say you're on the right track. If you got a 'Windfall' of 20 grand, and it'll almost cover you for a year I'd say you're dreaming. Without knowing your bills or your lifestlye, I would simply say that for 5 years I would need at least $300,0000. to say you could retire early. That's $150,000 ($30,000/year bills) and an extra $150,000 ($30,000/year) to maintain the lifestyle.

With that said, Time is always more valuable then money. If your house is paid off, you have no rent, kids, car payments, etc. etc. and you can get by on $300/week or something like that, Then go ahead and do it.

Anyways, enough rambling. The real point I wanted to make is this. You're asking on an internet forum if it's OK to retire early. You need to figure out what your Pension payments would be at this reduced amount. If that's enough to sustain your lifestyle, and this windfall would cover those pension payments in the meantime, then go for it. I've never met a (well off) retired person who wished they would of worked a little longer. Life's too short....But if you have to ask, I'd suspect you're not really ready yet...or looking for attention....

A

anonymous6

like i said before , i earned this money and it was being held by the feds since 2001. ( no interest either ) I can.t and won't get into the details .

but i appreciate everyone for their input. the more people i talk to the more informed we will be when we speak to our financial reps which includes a Dave Ramsey ELP, a Vanguard financial rep and several others.

A

anonymous6

"Man, I wished I worked more."[/QUOTE]

I actually love my job in feeders. just as long as supes stay away and let me do the job professionally.

satellitedriver

the more people i talk to the more informed we will be when we speak to our financial reps which includes a Dave Ramsey ELP, a Vanguard financial rep and several others.
Best of Luck.
You have your head on your shoulders.
It would be nice if there was a simple equation to determine when to retire.
My only guidance is to make sure that you are well covered in health insurance.
Life is very,very short.
Take care.

bbsam

Staff member
Here's something to think about. Will you be bored 3 years from now? We worried about my dad when he retired, but he did just fine and is still loving it. Just something to consider.

rod

Retired 22 years
Here's something to think about. Will you be bored 3 years from now? We worried about my dad when he retired, but he did just fine and is still loving it. Just something to consider.

It amazes me when people assume you get bored being retired. Most days I find there still isn't enough hours in the day to get everything I want to do done. I don't know how I ever got anything accomplished and still worked 9-10 hours a day.

barnyard

KTM rider
I actually love my job in feeders. just as long as supes stay away and let me do the job professionally.

There is no job that I have ever worked that I loved more than my family. I was a stay at home dad for 10 years and if I could be a stay at home grandpa, I would do that in a freaking heartbeat.