Receiving 90¢ more an hr. than what the HR and managers told me starting wage is

dalecooper1

I got my first paycheck from the smartpost orientation a few days ago and I'm getting around 90¢ more an hr. than what I was told the starting wage would be. I'm NOT complaining, I love money but I'm afraid if this is an error I might get future paychecks garnished.

On the application I explained my experience working at a supermarket for a couple of years and typed the list of promotions I received at my former company. Could it be that the company decided to give me a little more because of my experience?

dalecooper1

that it's an error or I have work experience? If it's an error I want to say something to HR to ensure nothing bad happens with payroll in the future

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fred would rather spend $10,000 to catch a $100 payroll error. He doesn't like to pay the workforce a penny more than he has to.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
FedEx just doesn't operate that way. If it's a payroll error you can rest assured they will catch it and you will be paying back every penny.

In all honesty, it depends. I've seen the company engage in tenacious pursuit of minor amounts of money but I've seen them let some big ones go in certain circumstances. I'm going with the assumption that it's fairly rare, but it depends on the circumstances. If the pay is wrong and you know it's wrong (paid more than the amount on your offer letter or paid for more hours than you worked, for example) then they will start deducting if you don't set up some sort of repayment plan.

Outside of that you have a shot, which can be anywhere from very good to lousy.

CJinx

Maybe someone didn't get the memo on starting wages. Wouldn't be the first time that a manager acted on incorrect/outdated information. ;)

hypo hanna

Go to the manager and ask if its correct. If he says yes, ask for it in writing so you don't get dunned for it months down the road.