Recieved damaged guitar, Shipper filed a claim

Yuriynyr

Ok so I bought an Electric Ibanez RG350DX guitar. About 6 days later I recieved the item. I could already tell that something was wrong because the box was literally cut through the center all around, there were marks all over it, and I could reach inside and touch the guitar itself. I payed $275.

At first I thought that the seller sold the guitar to me that way, but when I inspected the guitar, I found chipped pieces from the body of the guitar inside the box proving that it was damaged during shipping. The guitar was poorly packaged.

I told the shipper immediately that the guitar arrived broken and he filed the claim right away. The next day UPS came and picked up the package. This was on 1/26. What are my chances of winning the claim since I am not at fault here in anyway? I mean clearly UPS can tell that it's the shippers fault since he packaged it poorly.

I am worried because to me, $275 is a lot of money and I have no idea what may happen.

Here are some images of the damage...

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Thanks, Yuriy.
03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg

H

HelloWorld

Was this done on eBay? If so leave negative feedback if they won't refund/replace the damaged item. You should be backed up by paypal in this dispute. Was the item insured through UPS?

Not sure if you work at UPS, but if you saw the force put on packages during belt jams etc, there isn't such a thing as 100% indestructible packaging. I see boxes similar to yours every day.

Good luck!

Yuriynyr

Yes, purchased on eBay, payed with Paypal. The listing also has an option called "eBay buyer protection" or something like that but I am not sure how that works yet. After this situation gets resolved with UPS, and if not in my favor, then I'll contact the shipper and ask for a refund.

I think that he will refuse to do so and keep my money. At that point, I will leave a negative feedback and file a complaint against him through eBay and Paypal although they would probably have me wait another month or so which is a pain.

When the UPS worker will inspect the guitar and see that it was in fact poorly shipped, what happens next? Would the claim win lean towards into my favor? I assume they will contact the shipper first after inspection.

H

HelloWorld

I doubt there was insurance on this through UPS. Most eBay items are shipped without it. Check. If not, eBay/Paypal will take care of this in your favor. Buyers have much more protection than sellers right now. They will not accept a buyer receiving damaged goods from a seller.

Nimnim

The Nim
I've got nothing useful to add that wasn't already said, but I've gotta say I think the inlays look cooler like that. Personally a couple nicks and the broken string I wouldn't care about, but the split on the neck and the headstock would have me doing the same as you, good luck.

worldwide

Yes, purchased on eBay, payed with Paypal. The listing also has an option called "eBay buyer protection" or something like that but I am not sure how that works yet. After this situation gets resolved with UPS, and if not in my favor, then I'll contact the shipper and ask for a refund.

I think that he will refuse to do so and keep my money. At that point, I will leave a negative feedback and file a complaint against him through eBay and Paypal although they would probably have me wait another month or so which is a pain.

When the UPS worker will inspect the guitar and see that it was in fact poorly shipped, what happens next? Would the claim win lean towards into my favor? I assume they will contact the shipper first after inspection.

The person that sold and shipped you the guitar should be making you whole and then dealing with UPS. You are out of the loop in terms of dealing directly with UPS---the seller/shipper of the item has to deal with UPS to work out the terms of the claim. Regardless of that process and what happens, they should be taking care of you.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/damage_process.html

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The claim will always be paid to the shipper. Even if it is paid you would have to get your refund from the shipper. If I were you I would be talking to the shipper ASAP, either asking for a new guitar or a refund and threaten to go to paypal if necessary. He is the one that will have to deal with UPS or any loss incurred.

bluehdmc

I'd check with Paypal/Ebay there are time limits for buyer protection, not sure if it's 30 or 60 days. After that paypal will tell you there isn't anything they can do.

nocturnalbuck

speaking of guitars...... i pick up from a guitar store in my area and the shipper had one marked as high value for 15,000. he told me it was used and signed by eric clapton. thought that was pretty cool.

rod

Retired 22 years
speaking of guitars...... i pick up from a guitar store in my area and the shipper had one marked as high value for 15,000. he told me it was used and signed by eric clapton. thought that was pretty cool.

Let me guess. He had it wrapped in a half dozen grocery sacks covered with masking tape.