Recognition of a job well done

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
"I" (integrity) posted about recognition of safe driving and what it means. I have a more in depth question.

When you do your job well, what recognition is the most appreciated by UPSers. I know, money in the bank etc......but that is more a canned response. I want to know what really makes you feel like your sup or manager appreciates what you have done.

But what action would it be that would make you feel good if the center manager came up to you about the job you did the day or week before?

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There is absolutely nothing I can do when anyone will tell me I did anything well.
Give me my 26 yr service award, at the meeting, instead of telling another driver to hand it to me, while Im loading my truck...(on the clock)
Give me my safe driving award, instead of leaving it stacked in the office.

Nimnim

The Nim
"I" (integrity) posted about recognition of safe driving and what it means. I have a more in depth question.

When you do your job well, what recognition is the most appreciated by UPSers. I know, money in the bank etc......but that is more a canned response. I want to know what really makes you feel like your sup or manager appreciates what you have done.

But what action would it be that would make you feel good if the center manager came up to you about the job you did the day or week before?

d

I don't require someone to show appreciation towards my work. What I'd like is for them to get rid of the dead weight that hinders those that do work and even take pride in it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All I would ask is be removed from the "maroon" list.
That being the list that has me receiving messages all day long about safety and service reminders.
You know the ones.
Take and sheet your 30 min lunch.
Don't sheet closed or not in between 12-1pm and after 5.
Don't forget to give your exceptions to the clerks.
On and on they go all day long.
Blah, blah, blah.
Big arrow up, big arrow up, big arrow up.
After 25 years of demonstrating that I know what to do, I'm still treated like a 2nd grader.
The only recognition I am asking for is to be treated like I know what I'm doing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I can look myself in the mirror at the end of the day and know that I busted ass and gave 100%....it truly does not matter to me what my supervisor thinks or whether or not he acknowledges my efforts.

None of the management people in my building were here when I started. They are but transitory figures whereas I will be a permanent fixture until I retire. I have worked under a dozen or more center managers and even more supervisors during my time here, and I would make myself crazy if I had any concern at all for what they thought of me.

island1fox

Danny,
From a Management perspective it was a very important part of my typical day. I can honestly tell you that "catching someone doing something right" was much more enjoyable than correcting something that was wrong.
Many of the people that worked with me over the years I am sure appreciated the "Thank you" for the job you do either quietly by the coffee wagon or inside their package car. Some individuals liked to be recognized in front of the work group, many others just a sincere one to one.
I believe that the vast majority of the people enjoyed the recognition and was a small bright spot on another tough day.
One thing I can tell you with no doubt. It was the right thing for me to do and I am not ashamed to say I enjoyed doing so.:happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Island

Many of the people here are venting. I feel sorry for them if that is the real way they feel.

It really means something to a person that is part of a team effort to get a thanks from other hourly and management for what we do. I know it even means more from a customer. I know the days where there were thanks went much more smoothly, then the days that started with griping.

In a center with mutual respect for what the other person contributes to the process, a quite and personal thanks mean a lot.

d

over9five

Staff member
......After 25 years of demonstrating that I know what to do, I'm still treated like a 2nd grader.

Here's one of the biggest differences between Package and Feeders. In Feeders, you are treated like a man. You are a professional driver, not some 2nd grader.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I had a Center manager tell me once that hourly employees are 'thanked weekly' and he saw no reason to go above or beyond the 'weekly recognition'.

hdkappler

Danny,
From a Management perspective it was a very important part of my typical day. I can honestly tell you that "catching someone doing something right" was much more enjoyable than correcting something that was wrong.
Many of the people that worked with me over the years I am sure appreciated the "Thank you" for the job you do either quietly by the coffee wagon or inside their package car. Some individuals liked to be recognized in front of the work group, many others just a sincere one to one.
I believe that the vast majority of the people enjoyed the recognition and was a small bright spot on another tough day.
One thing I can tell you with no doubt. It was the right thing for me to do and I am not ashamed to say I enjoyed doing so.:happy2:
island you seem like you are from the old school.there were years when your sup and center manager,showed appreciation.made youfeel good.course the year i retired in 2003.our center manager.never could say anything nice to anyone.i drove in peoria,il30 years and that was the only one i didn't like.he had it in for everyone and didn't like older drivers.it sounds like all center manager's are hatful today.just like ole g.v. was.