Reducing stress on knees

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Trpl, I have the same problem as you do. And many others I'm sure. I'm fairly short and have a hard time getting ahold of the handrail on some of the older trucks. We have a few trucks that have hand rails inside the door in front of the heater unit. Those trucks are great, but if I don't happen to be in one of those trucks I use the door frame. I have even had the mechanics install small hand rails inside in front of the heater. They make a huge difference getting in but, as I carry in my left hand, they don't help much getting out.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
God I hate to be redundant in these threads but......Go to feeders and climb in and out of a tractor 10 times a day rather than the 350+ times that you guys are climbing in and out of the package car. All of the rest of your body will thank you also. Just think how bad your joints will feel when your in your 50's or 60's after all those years of monkey slaving on a package car.:funny:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

God I hate to be redundant in these threads but......Go to feeders and climb in and out of a tractor 10 times a day rather than the 350+ times that you guys are climbing in and out of the package car. All of the rest of your body will thank you also. Just think how bad your joints will feel when your in your 50's or 60's after all those years of monkey slaving on a package car.:funny:

Your knees may be intact but you seem to have developed this annoying habit of calling everyone "driver".

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry, gotta disagree with ya here. Stress or pressure in the full extension of any joint will eventually wreck that joint, you have to use the muscles surrounding any joint to protect it. If you are like me (too short for most of the older handrails) use the door frame instead of the actual handrail. Then use the muscles to pull yourself up or to lower yourself to the ground. This also lowers the impact on the knee, proven body mechanics. Stretching and exercises are very important to keep ya going.

Very good point, 555.

Well, those are your knees and your shoulders, you do what you think best for them.
I will do what I think is best for mine.

To tell ya the truth, when it comes to push our shove, I would much rather have a blown out shoulder than knee.... I can't walk on my hands.

I too got written up for using the door frame during a "safe work methods" ride. I simply demonstrated to the sup why I used the door frame vs. the handrail. It was still written up with a disclaimer that the door frame grip was doing what the handrail was designed for. Now I just tell them from the start of the ride that they may as well write it down that I don't always use the HR, but do use the door frame, I will NOT do it any other way. I've been fighting them on this for 20 years. Bottom line, I do what I can to protect my body because it's getting beat up bad enough already.

on the left handed thing, I'm lucky in that I am almost fully amphibious, I can use either hand at will.

2596738483_5db7827a6a_o.gif

Bad Gas!

Ice and Ibyprofin daily..,..Be careful with leg extentions. My P.T. doesn't encourage this type of strengthening exercise..Other ways of building the quad muscle like cycleling are good. Quad stretches,hip stretchches...If your knee's are sore, don't go run 10 miles...

non_bid_dawg

32 routes in 3 centers..
My cycling keeps my quads, hamstrings and calf muscles strong. In fact I do a bunch of exercises specific to these muscle groups every day.Weighted squats and lunges are the big ones. I also eat my Glucosamine, chondroitin and msm daily per my teams sponsoring orthopaedic Surgeon. I'll piss the whole center off just to bump my way onto a car with a low step. I'm hoping that will go a long way to supporting my knees for the next 42 years...lol.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ice and Ibyprofin daily..,..Be careful with leg extentions. My P.T. doesn't encourage this type of strengthening exercise..Other ways of building the quad muscle like cycleling are good. Quad stretches,hip stretchches...If your knee's are sore, don't go run 10 miles...

I think your PT was meaning leg extensions with a lot of weight. If you do this exercise with moderate weight, I believe you'll be okay.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Give me your feeder rte, I will do it.