Reference: A history of Enhancements

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It seems like there should be a thread that can be referenced that tracks all the "enhancements" made to UPS management benefits over the years.

1989 circa - Previously, Healthcare was "free" to employee and no co-pays.
1992 circa - Previously all management retirees with 10 years of service received free retirement healthcare until Medicare kicked in. Now it is based on years of service with years prior to 1993 getting 3 times as much credit.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
It seems like there should be a thread that can be referenced that tracks all the "enhancements" made to UPS management benefits over the years.

1992 circa - Previously all management retirees with 10 years of service received free retirement healthcare until Medicare kicked in. Now it is based on years of service with years prior to 1993 getting 3 times as much credit.

Wasn't there a 401k match freeze ~2008 that only recently returned with a lower cap?

Even though I officially don't care about supervisor compensation, the lower management folks have been getting shafted for a while now. The only people they can get to sign up for it in my building are scrubs with less than 2-3 months of experience.

mg5

Hoax you must have been tired when you posted this....
Off the top of my head without a timeline here are some more- around 1997, mgmt will start paying for benefits and get the bugs out before it goes to everyone. NOTTTTTT
Choices (options) 3 or 4 companies and an HMO with copays.
Stopping of 401k match along with no management raises to take one for the team
same month and year.
Each following year less choices and INCREASED cost enhancements.....
About 2005 MIP enhancement where you only receive 50% of MIP and other 50% they keep in RSU shares.
These are held and you get 20% back over 5 years. No dividends on them and you lose them
if you quit or are fired (another enhancement)
How MIP was figured changed to 5 items with no actual control by local management.(Ex. acquisitons)
B/D folks were told they asked for it in Employee Opinion Survey ( another joke that was not funny) Compensation
tied to their sales and a business plan not set by them with unattainable goals (like MIP 5 items).
There is more I know I am missing but near and dear to my heart is SALARY BANDS !!!!
Grade level changes and bands, where you are in that presently and what that job should pay.
Oh and by the way,meeting with H/R manager, Div Mgr and told you are over paid and will not be getting any raises
for foreseeable future. ( How's that effect salary,MIP, retirement, stock purchase 401k etc. etc...

I'm tired now. As I said there are many more that effects others. Someone else's turn now.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax you must have been tired when you posted this....

I'm tired now. As I said there are many more that effects others. Someone else's turn now.

There is plenty to go around and I wanted contributions from all over.

Don't forget the "Educational Enhancements" circa 2005 which started the derisive use of "Enhancements" when another management benefit was stripped away.

oldbrownguy

Dont forget the turkey, the lack of raises for sups and the decrease in 401K match ( as mentioned above). Also, BD managers are now one unit, though that unit program also changed. How much are we paying "consultants" to figure out how to screw our non union management people? We spent BILLIONS to bail out the Teamsters pension funds and have not changed the pension for our management folks. The partnership legacy is DEAD!!!

oldbrownguy

Hoax, you got me thinking....anyone remember "agent orange"? Whatever your % on that form was, it was supposed to translate to the % of a raise you got.

BrownTie

The best enhancement:

Casual Friday to Casual everyday... (I like this one):happy-very:

Real Turkey to Turkey voucher to no Turkey:sad-very:

Full Time Supervisors to Band A, B, C, D, E, friend (same for Managers):biting:

Spousal Coverage to no coverage.:sick:

Last edited:

upsoldtimer

Going public in 1999 which resulted in a second comma (,) in my UPS stock portfolio value.....now that's an enhancement I can (and do) live with baby.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Going public in 1999 which resulted in a second comma (,) in my UPS stock portfolio value.....now that's an enhancement I can (and do) live with baby.....

I'm sure the 35 -50 year old management people who did not participate in that largess wish you well.

Like you, I did enjoy the benefits of that move ... few in UPS management today did.

Did you stick your tongue out when you typed this? :raspberry:

upsoldtimer

I'm sure the 35 -50 year old management people who did not participate in that largess wish you well.

Like you, I did enjoy the benefits of that move ... few in UPS management today did.

Did you stick your tongue out when you typed this? :raspberry:
No...not at all. The purpose of my post was not to gloat but rather to take exception to what I believe is a forum topic of questionable value. It's a look back but for what purpose? For people to reflect on that which was lost so they can feel miserable or cheated? I suppose I am a "glass half full" individual. Yes there have been things lost, but there have also been positives and my post was intended to reflect that....I don't make it a practice to look back.....I like to look forward baby......

InsideUPS

No...not at all. The purpose of my post was not to gloat but rather to take exception to what I believe is a forum topic of questionable value. It's a look back but for what purpose? For people to reflect on that which was lost so they can feel miserable or cheated? I suppose I am a "glass half full" individual. Yes there have been things lost, but there have also been positives and my post was intended to reflect that....I don't make it a practice to look back.....I like to look forward baby......

Looking back is one of the greatest attributes of human memory. Looking back can "warm the heart" or help us learn from past mistakes. I'm sure that Hoaxster had good intentions when he started this forum topic. Besides, most regular visitors here on BC know that his persona is to instigate controversial "conversations". To really know the true Hoaxster, it requires a "Miracle" and a camera. (only Hoaxster will understand the meaning of this comment)

1999 marked the year that UPS would no longer be the same company that you and I knew prior to the IPO. Management "enhancements" have been continually reduced since then to please Wall Street investors. Hourly "enhancements" in one way or another will follow. Few if any hourly employees starting today will ever see a 30 year full-time retirement.

Yes some people benefited...and good for them. The young management and hourly people have nothing to feel miserable or cheated about....heck....they won't need Viagara, diapers and memory meds for a long time to come.

BrownTie

2013 - Management attitudes enhanced. They no longer give a sh..

​ I believe the we all try to care and do a good job. We are pumped up when the DM or OP communicates the we have power to run the business, but we still have to hit the mark. A mark that are always above our reach. We sometimes have to shake our heads and throw our arms up in the air. And no.. it was not the dance of victory but the sign of giving up. That is the Management attitudes enhanced.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Maybe the "enhancement" of no more spousal benefits was actually that, if you keep in mind the high divorce rates we suffer (enjoy?) at UPS. Now your spouse has her/his own health insurance so the Court won't order you to pay for it. Scott is just looking out for you!
​How's that for glass half full?

Or not.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe the "enhancement" of no more spousal benefits was actually that, if you keep in mind the high divorce rates we suffer (enjoy?) at UPS. Now your spouse has her/his own health insurance so the Court won't order you to pay for it. Scott is just looking out for you!
​How's that for glass half full?

Or not.

You may be better that upsoldtimer.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Discounted employee stock purchase program. Was 10% discount based on the lowest closing price of either the first or last day of the quarter. Changed to 5% and based on the last day of the quarter. We got served!

Last edited: