Refusing a DR'ed package

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Call UPS and tell them, at which point your center team should message you to go back and pick the package up.

AssistantSanta

I always take them back after making sure they were never opened. Plus it adds one cake stop to the stop count.

How can you tell though? Even just having worked seasonal, many boxes came open in the truck. Sometimes due to mishandling and sometimes due to gummed tape that didn't get wetted right. Even if the box opens and everything comes out, driver puts them back in and tape it back up.

Arriving looking like it obviously got opened in transit is one of the main reasons for me to refuse a package.

If I come home and find a box on my porch that was sealed with pilfer proof tape by shipper, but obviously got retaped along the way, that would be a reason to refuse it. If I'm going to lose the ability to refuse it by inspecting, I'm going to refuse it without opening it myself to be on the safe side.

They sometimes say "inspect before acceptance" but you don't get that chance with a left-at packages.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
How can you tell though? Even just having worked seasonal, many boxes came open in the truck. Sometimes due to mishandling and sometimes due to gummed tape that didn't get wetted right. Even if the box opens and everything comes out, driver puts them back in and tape it back up.

If I come home and find a box on my porch that was sealed with pilfer proof tape by shipper, but obviously got retaped along the way, that would be a reason to refuse it. If I'm going to lose the ability to refuse it by inspecting, I'm going to refuse it without opening it myself to be on the safe side.

About time for Mommy to turn off the interwebs.

Johney

Arriving looking like it obviously got opened in transit is one of the main reasons for me to refuse a package.

They sometimes say "inspect before acceptance" but you don't get that chance with a left-at packages.
You got a year before you have to worry about refused packages. If you last that long,if you get rehired.....if,if,if.

softshoe

Have you ever heard of the term "common sense." This job isn't that complicated. Think of it as a Big Boy Paper Route.

Now don' fret about these little things that don't concern you anymore.

Taco

If it's something like Joe Schmo re-using an Amazon box to sell something on eBay, it might be hard to tell if it's been re-taped. The weight of the box would be a good clue as to whether or not anything's missing.

And if the shipper gets it back and finds out there is something missing, they can take that up with their customer by not providing a refund or whatever. Or they can file a claim, which UPS will deny on the grounds that they shouldn't have sent something to an address that can be DR'ed to :P

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it's something like Joe Schmo re-using an Amazon box to sell something on eBay, it might be hard to tell if it's been re-taped. The weight of the box would be a good clue as to whether or not anything's missing.

And if the shipper gets it back and finds out there is something missing, they can take that up with their customer by not providing a refund or whatever. Or they can file a claim, which UPS will deny on the grounds that they shouldn't have sent something to an address that can be DR'ed to :P

This has nothing to do with whether or not the address in question is a good DR--it is about a package that has been DR'd and subsequently refused by the consignee.

If the pkg looks like it has been opened or otherwise tampered with I will politely explain that I cannot pick it up as a refusal and will explain the procedure at that point. If the pkg is intact I will piick it up and RTS per the methods.

AssistantSanta

If the pkg looks like it has been opened or otherwise tampered with I will politely explain that I cannot pick it up as a refusal and will explain the procedure at that point. If the pkg is intact I will piick it up and RTS per the methods.

What would you do, as a driver when a package comes open and contents come out inside your truck? I've seen that happen first hand multiple times and the driver simply picks things up, throw them back in the box,tape it back up and deliver like its business as usual.

In my earlier post, I was explaining it in consignee's perspective that if I found something I ordered on my porch and it clearly looks like it got repackaged by UPS I'd consider refusing depending on the contents. If the original packaging was brown gummed tape but it arrives wrapped everywhere in clear packaging tape and the box is beat up, its rather obvious the packaging isn't original.

AssistantSanta

Don't touch, leave area, notify supe......comes to mind.

I didn't mean the items inside breaking and leaking. I was referring to something like a box containing 144 pens. It comes open in the truck, contents spill out. In what I observed, the driver picked up contents, taped up and delivered.

How can the driver be sure none of them was damaged and not a single one flew somewhere and went unrecovered?

Once it gets DR'd like that and customer tries to refuse it later, the driver picking up will think the customer opened it and it will become his word against yours situation.

Taco

This has nothing to do with whether or not the address in question is a good DR--it is about a package that has been DR'd and subsequently refused by the consignee.
Guess I'm too new here for people to know I'm full of sarcasm.
I didn't mean the items inside breaking and leaking. I was referring to something like a box containing 144 pens. It comes open in the truck, contents spill out. In what I observed, the driver picked up contents, taped up and delivered.
This is just one of the many things the clerks do is handle things like open boxes.