Reg Temp

hungrydude5

What's up guys, kinda new around here, haven't posted really at all due to the big brown blob. I've been with the company, on seniority 3 in a half years, but it all started 4 years ago on my first peak season. Laid off as a seasonal, some cry baby quit and I was still on payroll for some reason and my sup desperately needed someone to cover, so then I got hired. Mistake for picking up the phone? haha, maybe. Some people call me their "Mr.UPS" at our center, only because when our center needs something, as in help or need to double out on preload or cover for internationals or clerk, I won't say no, it's always a "sure, why not" from me. And from the very beginning, it's gotten me some pretty high respect. Our center owes me big time for little "messes" and "tight spots", but to all of you veterans, you know a simple "thanks" doesn't come around very often lol. ANYWAYS, I've been a driver helper for the 4 years of being with company too, and then would go work my reload shift right after. Tiring, but nice money. I learned a lot from my 25 plus year veteran driver, and inspired me to start driving. So I went to New Stantons driver training, and since I knew the DIAD up and down and knowing almost everything about package movement, handling, tracking, tracing, you name it, it was a breeze. I say it was a breeze because I thought they just taught you the basics of the seeing habits (which I memorized before I even thought of being a driver, I told you, they call me Mr.UPS). I'm very dedicated to my center and any job there, including driving. I passed the class with me being top of the class and 7 months later, I've driven a total of 10 times and drive only on saturdays. Is this normal? I don't expect to be out delivering, but at least shuttle driving or something. It just kinda makes me upset I given so many unnecessary hours so I can prove I'm a hard worker and I've strived to drive, and they won't give me the chance. Why hire me as a reg temp when they don't need me? They say during peak I'll be out, but I see it as I'm going to be a driver helper and then have to come back in to work the reload because I know that shift up and down like the back of my hand. Thoughts? Comments?

Mr.UPS ;-)

drewed

Shankman
As you know seniority rules all at UPS could be there hasnt been a spot open besides the occassional saturdat?, they have you in their pocket for a rainy day. Dont get discouraged, Id talk to an on road and see if you pick up some stick time

hungrydude5

Yea, I know seniority rules, but I know they have moved the lineup for the day just to keep me on the belt, meaning they pulled a reg temp directly ahead of me (im last on the list as I'm the last one to sign the last bid they put up) and had him to half a day so he could run the shuttle right after, which I could have done. We just had a driver retire and there's about 2 others that want out either right before peak or right after, so I mean it's looking OK, but I just don't want to be relied on for everything around the center and not drive, I need the money and my nights to be free of loading trailers :wink2:

drewed

Shankman
Dont worry just make sure of your seniority date, a couple people ahead of you (so you know when your coming up) and the people after you (so you know if you been skipped) Good Luck!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Yea, I know seniority rules, but I know they have moved the lineup for the day just to keep me on the belt, meaning they pulled a reg temp directly ahead of me (im last on the list as I'm the last one to sign the last bid they put up) and had him to half a day so he could run the shuttle right after, which I could have done. We just had a driver retire and there's about 2 others that want out either right before peak or right after, so I mean it's looking OK, but I just don't want to be relied on for everything around the center and not drive, I need the money and my nights to be free of loading trailers :wink2:

Hmmm. Sounds to me like you got shafted due to expectations. Keep your expectations lower. Without any seniority, IF you get to drive, you're lucky. :/

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Hmmm. Sounds to me like you got shafted due to expectations. Keep your expectations lower. Without any seniority, IF you get to drive, you're lucky. :/

Agreed. I am just like you in every way when it comes to work. The problem is UPS doesn't owe us anything. They have to follow the contract and we get paid to work. However there are fringe benefits to doing extra. You will get a pass on mistakes that most people get in trouble for. I lost my job because I accidentally damaged a truck while parking and I didn't even know that I did it. All of management knows me and knew that I wasn't the kind of guy to let an accident go unreported. I know it sucks putting in the 12's but the day will come when your either the top of the list for utility driving, or your chance to go full time driving comes. For me, it's part of who I am to do the extra work. I work hard because I was raised that way. So, make an informed decision about how you want to proceed and good luck.

hungrydude5

what's BBAG?

I'm patient to a point, the point being when like I said, they rearrange the whole lineup (48 drivers) just to have someone cover both our shuttles just to have me on the belt. It's ok, I'm just waiting until the day the get someone with less seniority than me sign the current reg temp bid and use them instead of me, caaaaaaaaaaan't wait :-)

drewed

Shankman
what's BBAG?

He sat and told us all we were full of it when we told him to expect to be let down when he expected to drive because his center manager said so. He thought because he had more drive then anyone else he'd get the job and of course as we know it just doesnt work that way at UPS.

hungrydude5

Aaaaaaah, sounds like my PT sup, who is only 20. Saying since he's "in with the guys in management" he's guaranteed to drive, and no one else can tell him different. He likes to tell us as he shoves his cell phone in our face "Here, call so and so(our center manager, dont like to mention names) when we tell him "that ain't right man, you're not going to drive". One day im going to take his phone when he gives us his phone and call our center manager and tell him how dickish he's being.

hungrydude5

well if hes the 6th guy he very well could be driving....

i did say dickish, because he can be cool sometimes, but when he wants to be "macho man", he can really be a penis. That would piss me off more than anything if he would get the 6th bid, the outside bid. But, our carwasher is superman when it comes to washing and parking our lineup every night. Somehow someway he gets 2 box vans (pigs or moose'es) in between the right and left hand of the far side of the building. He art amazing. He's got that bid....

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
i did say dickish, because he can be cool sometimes, but when he wants to be "macho man", he can really be a penis. That would piss me off more than anything if he would get the 6th bid, the outside bid. But, our carwasher is superman when it comes to washing and parking our lineup every night. Somehow someway he gets 2 box vans (pigs or moose'es) in between the right and left hand of the far side of the building. He art amazing. He's got that bid....

you said dickish, penis, and piss all in the same paragraph...but enough about that, you guys call your cage cars pigs or moose'es? We call ours Hersheys. What's the difference anyway?