Regretting management

browniehound

This is the biggest problem within UPS today.

Mapp hit the nail on the head here. We have managers writing sentences like 3rd graders now? To quote Ripple: "I had managers to tell me to slow down not do so good cause there is always next year". What? I hope your PCM's are a little more lucid than your writtings.

deleted9

The opportunity now is not what it was for the earlier management folks. The company was growing quickly, promotions were a dime a dozen, people were promoted to center and division levels that couldn't even write a coherent paragraph or speak intelligently in front of a group. Benefits were great, and management got rich on MIP. Those days are over.

It was people like me that helped build and grow this company,not trying to blow my own horn, and gave most of the people on this site a job and a good living, all I see on here is people complaining and talk how much they hate ups. If it's that bad leave, but won't because they have nothing else. Yes the company has changed but so has the times( especially with technology). If you work on growing the business instead of tearing it down, opportunities become more plentiful, it's up to the people there now to.........

deleted9

Man do i get sick of all the complaining from management about how they make me work to many hours ,they move me to sorts i dont want to work and on and on.Look you knew what you signed up for,once you become management you no longer just work for ups ,you are here to make ups a more profittable and productive place,you signed up to care about these things no matter what.If they need you to work 2 sorts and work 14 hr days for a week than hey thats the job and you knew it.If you wanted to get paid for every hour you worked and not get calls whenever they need you or not get get sent to a hub clear across town with 2 hours notice than you should have stayed hourly.

This is coming from someone that has an avatar blowing himself up........ Get real

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It was people like me that helped build and grow this company,not trying to blow my own horn, and gave most of the people on this site a job and a good living, all I see on here is people complaining and talk how much they hate ups. If it's that bad leave, but won't because they have nothing else. Yes the company has changed but so has the times( especially with technology). If you work on growing the business instead of tearing it down, become more plentiful, it's up to the people there now to.........

Wow, you really have no life do you? To make a post like this, not even a member of the UPS family anymore, tearing down people you don't know. I have multiple avenues outside of UPS but none offer the pay, benefits, retirement and other perks. There are plenty of others like me. The best decision I never made was to take the management job offered, that can probably be said every time I wanted to get out of the hourly side too.

Given the job market and economy, and the thread you're posting in, your post is basically useless chest-beating back-patting garbage that clutters the board..

browniehound

It was people like me that helped build and grow this company,not trying to blow my own horn, and gave most of the people on this site a job and a good living, all I see on here is people complaining and talk how much they hate ups. If it's that bad leave, but won't because they have nothing else. Yes the company has changed but so has the times( especially with technology). If you work on growing the business instead of tearing it down, opportunities become more plentiful, it's up to the people there now to.........

Where were you when RPS was for sale? Back in 99-2000 I heard management speak of the Fed-Ex purchase of RPS as an "inferiorty complex" and they needed to do it "save face with their express customers because they don't offer ground service"

It was no big deal 10 years ago when UPS management thought we were invincible. Now, Fed-Ex ground is opening new hubs and taking our packages. Who dropped the ball on this one? We are told to grow the business every day, and that's fine as I do what I can. Problem is if I get someone to switch to us its only a drop in the bucket.

I wanted corporate to grow the business. They have the money and influence to make significant changes. Why didn't they purchase RPS? If they did, our only competitor would be DHL and we all know how they run their operation. I might be able to snag a few parcels here and there through sales leads, but this accomplishes nothing. Eventually other customers leave UPS making my few parcel gain mute.

Yes, we need to grow the business, but drivers submitting sales leads are not going to cut it. We need help from the top.

For example, I left the building Friday at 915: 35 minutes after my start time. That gives me less than an hour to deliver my airs and not touch a ground package. At the same time, Fed-Ex ground is delivering at 7 AM, its a wonder why everyone doesn't use Fed-Ex? UPS = ground packages in the afternoon. Fed-Ex ground = packages in the morning. The FE ground driver is done my 1500. I still haven't taken lunch yet. Something needs to change!

deleted9

Wow, you really have no life do you? To make a post like this, not even a member of the UPS family anymore, tearing down people you don't know. I have multiple avenues outside of UPS but none offer the pay, benefits, retirement and other perks. There are plenty of others like me. The best decision I never made was to take the management job offered, that can probably be said every time I wanted to get out of the hourly side too.

Given the job market and economy, and the thread you're posting in, your post is basically useless chest-beating back-patting garbage that clutters the board..

i actually have a great life, thanks to hard work and opportunity, as far as no life you have 2,223 posts just think about how much wasted time you have spent on here reading and posting think about that, and yes you can thank me for the job you have.

Last edited:

deleted9

Where were you when RPS was for sale? Back in 99-2000 I heard management speak of the Fed-Ex purchase of RPS as an "inferiorty complex" and they needed to do it "save face with their express customers because they don't offer ground service"

It was no big deal 10 years ago when UPS management thought we were invincible. Now, Fed-Ex ground is opening new hubs and taking our packages. Who dropped the ball on this one? We are told to grow the business every day, and that's fine as I do what I can. Problem is if I get someone to switch to us its only a drop in the bucket.

I wanted corporate to grow the business. They have the money and influence to make significant changes. Why didn't they purchase RPS? If they did, our only competitor would be DHL and we all know how they run their operation. I might be able to snag a few parcels here and there through sales leads, but this accomplishes nothing. Eventually other customers leave UPS making my few parcel gain mute.

Yes, we need to grow the business, but drivers submitting sales leads are not going to cut it. We need help from the top.

For example, I left the building Friday at 915: 35 minutes after my start time. That gives me less than an hour to deliver my airs and not touch a ground package. At the same time, Fed-Ex ground is delivering at 7 AM, its a wonder why everyone doesn't use Fed-Ex? UPS = ground packages in the afternoon. Fed-Ex ground = packages in the morning. The FE ground driver is done my 1500. I still haven't taken lunch yet. Something needs to change!

The business you bring to ups helps more than you think, if every driver brought in a few more packages a day, think how many that would be company wide, it makes a difference. Do i think ups should have done some things different the answer is yes, but not all of us are privy to some of the behind the scenes decisions. In the long run i think the worst decision UPS made was to first - let non management people own stock , and second - going public........ my opinion

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i actually have a great life, thanks to hard work and opportunity, as far as no life you have 2,223 posts just think about how much wasted time you have spent on here reading and posting think about that, and yes you can thank me for the job you have.

If you think that is wasted time, that's your perrogative. At least I contribute something occasionally and in reading I learn something or ask questions. Your contributions on BC and UPS are done and gone and it shows in your posting style. It's obvious you haven't learned that you have no influence on the job I do daily despite what you have deluded yourself into believing. Enjoy your Sunday. :wink2:

deleted9

If you think that is wasted time, that's your perrogative. At least I contribute something occasionally and in reading I learn something or ask questions. Your contributions on BC and UPS are done and gone and it shows in your posting style. It's obvious you haven't learned that you have no influence on the job I do daily despite what you have deluded yourself into believing. Enjoy your Sunday. :wink2:

thanks i enjoy every day, as far as my posting style, its honest and truthful, and sometimes people get upset when someone is brutally honest. By the way its Sunday morning and i assuming one of your 2 days off and you are wasting your time on this site...... now really think who has no life.....As far as you contributing something to this website........ NOT

UnconTROLLed

perfection
thanks i enjoy every day, as far as my posting style, its honest and truthful, and sometimes people get upset when someone is brutally honest. By the way its Sunday morning and i assuming one of your 2 days off and you are wasting your time on this site...... now really think who has no life.....As far as you contributing something to this website........ NOT

I wasn't wasting time until I read your initial post. Bye ;)

tieguy

Banned
I'm with P-man. I don't understand how someone hitting their numbers that also has the respect and support of his driver group can hate his management job. If he made full time sup in a year then that would seem to indicate he is also well like and appreciated by his bosses.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Facts

Opportunity - 20 years ago the company was growing fast. They didn't even serve the entire US. The number of management people needed grew as the company grew. The ratio of management to non-management was very high. Center, divisions, and districts were small. Getting promoted was almost a natural occurrence.

Competition - There was no real competition other than the USPS.

Quotas - they are alive and thriving. Regardless of qualifications the company is required to maintain the proper ratios. The most qualified on the minority list is guaranteed to get promoted and guarnateed to stay promoted, even if there are many more qualified on the non-minority list.

Pay - new sups start at less than an hourly makes. Managers make slightly more, but pay a higher portion of their own benefits and have a lousy retirement plan compared to the hourly plans.

MIP - once a guaranteed get rich plan for management is gone. MIP is arbitrarily regulated. Stock prices have been flat for more than 10 years. The current MIP doesn't even make up for the reduction of retirement benefits a supervisor receives. Half of the MIP is restricted. If you leave for any reason other than retirement you stand to throw away half of 5 years MIP.

Conclusion - The competition is much stronger, job is more difficult, opportunity for promotions is almost eliminated, compensation is significantly reduced, MIP is less valuable than cash. Skill, ability and education requirements are higher than in the past. You won't get rich in management and you probably won't last 20-30 years.

Re-Raise

and yes you can thank me for the job you have.

You arrogant clown. Were you as popular at UPS as you are on this message board?

Any promotion you ever received at UPS was a direct result of the performance of the hourly employees.

If anyone deserves thanks it would be the people doing the job , not the people reading the reports and listening to conference calls.

You should appreciate the quality workforce that $30 an hour buys you, managers at other companies wish they were that lucky.

You arrogant clown. Were you as popular at UPS as you are on this message board?

Any promotion you ever received at UPS was a direct result of the performance of the hourly employees.

If anyone deserves thanks it would be the people doing the job , not the people reading the reports and listening to conference calls.

You should appreciate the quality workforce that $30 an hour buys you, managers at other companies wish they were that lucky.
+1.5

deleted9

Re: Regreting management

Facts

Opportunity - 20 years ago the company was growing fast. They didn't even serve the entire US. The number of management people needed grew as the company grew. The ratio of management to non-management was very high. Center, divisions, and districts were small. Getting promoted was almost a natural occurrence.

Competition - There was no real competition other than the USPS.

Quotas - they are alive and thriving. Regardless of qualifications the company is required to maintain the proper ratios. The most qualified on the minority list is guaranteed to get promoted and guarnateed to stay promoted, even if there are many more qualified on the non-minority list.

Pay - new sups start at less than an hourly makes. Managers make slightly more, but pay a higher portion of their own benefits and have a lousy retirement plan compared to the hourly plans.

MIP - once a guaranteed get rich plan for management is gone. MIP is arbitrarily regulated. Stock prices have been flat for more than 10 years. The current MIP doesn't even make up for the reduction of retirement benefits a supervisor receives. Half of the MIP is restricted. If you leave for any reason other than retirement you stand to throw away half of 5 years MIP.

Conclusion - The competition is much stronger, job is more difficult, opportunity for promotions is almost eliminated, compensation is significantly reduced, MIP is less valuable than cash. Skill, ability and education requirements are higher than in the past. You won't get rich in management and you probably won't last 20-30 years.

My opinion on your post:
Opportunity - yes it was growing fast, who do you think made it grow osmosis, it was the management, made changes from retail to common carrier was a big one, 1DA, International just to name a few. As far as promotions yes there were some shotgun promotions, but in the end only the strong survived
Competition - yes and the USPS had a real bad reputation years ago
Quotas - I think that has been changing
Pay - I did payroll and if you actually think that hourly people make more money than management you are kidding yourself, fact - my pension check per month is more than what drivers make per month, benefits could always be better, wait to see what happens at the next contract to the hourly benefits.
MIP - This is a management get rich plan if the person manages it correctly, do you even know what is involved in that plan, as far as RSU's that handled properly is a form of forced savings, i will be still getting stock checks for 5 years retired.
Conclusion - Yes competition is much stronger and that should help to make us better, as far as job more difficult, you are kidding yourself, ever sheet 400 del pieces a day on paper in the rain, you now have EDD and GPS, we had a map and dig to make sure you didn't miss a piece, you have automatic package cars with power steering, we had manual shifts with no power steering. As far as management getting rich the opportunity is there it all depends on how a person manages their money.....

Last edited:

ups1990

There are many other management jobs at UPS that are not as demanding as yours...
For instance, the sup who makes sure every driver has a clip or DIAD pouch by asking each one if they have one. Or maybe you're talking about the sup that gets drivers take their web training. My favorite, is the one who scans packages inside our package trucks in order to audit every scan and ensures drivers deliver every package.

PobreCarlos

Actually, I believe that the company began serving the entire U.S. (stablishing the "golden link") more than 30 years ago...and that - outside of air, and aspects of international - the massive spurt of company growth was pretty much over 20 years ago. For example: by then (20 years ago) the company had already been in Canada for 15 years, and Germany close to that length of time.

As for "no other competition", just where do you think FedEx was 20 years ago? Heck, I heard a Teamster official brag more than THIRTY years ago that FedEx would be organized "within a matter of months". Needless to say, they're as far away from being organized by the Teamsters now as they were (more than) thirty years ago.

Anyway, I'd take exception concerning the opportunities available now are that much less compared with twenty years ago. Thirty or thirty-five years ago? Probably. 10 years ago (following the bail-out which was a result of the IPO)...sure. But twenty? Nope.

22.34life

This is coming from someone that has an avatar blowing himself up........ Get real
My avatar rules,and what does my avatar have to do with anything.Like other people with low intelligence when your confronted with logic and good points you try to distract from the point of conversation with some stupid comment,this is probably your management style also.
I dont hate ups in fact i like my job,its really not that bad,you and your management team however are always crying a river.:sad-very: