Related?

STFXG

For the conspiracy theorists in the group...

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1466528234.550960.jpg

bacha29

So what's your point STFXG?. They've been buying new 767's and 777's for the past several years. In fact a couple of years ago they bought some used 757's
to serve as stop gaps until the new planes started coming in. In fact the new ones were originally to be A380's but delivery would take too long. As far as the drug trial goes, the judge's comments on the matter seemed to indicate that the federal prosecutors problem was poor case preparation, was taking too long and bungled paperwork. I sure they would have performed better if they had more time and resources unlike the unlimited resources available to X.

STFXG

Keep up with the scandals bacha! The point is that FedEx threatened the government to back out of a deal for 777s in the past to get their way.

So all of a sudden they exercise their option to purchase some more planes right after getting off the hook for nearly the same amount?

I'm not saying they are related. I'm just pointing the tinfoil hat guys around here in the general direction:

bacha29

I remember the story you mentioned now. That company's ability to influence the political process it was is indeed criminal given their lobbyists, their campaign money that they can use to get their own way, their unlimited legal defense resources. The only real recourse a person has is not to go to work for them but an unsuspecting debt crushed college kid would take the employment in a heart beat as well as a 40 year old blue collar grunt with a H.S. diploma and behind on his child support would climb into one of those tin coffins with out giving it a second thought.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As far as the drug trial goes, the judge's comments on the matter seemed to indicate that the federal prosecutors problem was poor case preparation, was taking too long and bungled paperwork.

His comments also pointed out that FDX had repeatedly asked the DEA for the names of illegal pharmacies so that they could stop dealing with them, and the DEA refused to provide them. Rule 1 of criminal prosecutions: It helps to have a case.

I sure they would have performed better if they had more time and resources unlike the unlimited resources available to X.

FedEx has more resources than the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT?

bacha29

Remember the little word ......sequestration? Another word for budget cuts. Very few federal departments not impacted. Not to defend Hillary Clinton but the proven fact is that at the time of her departure her state department budget was 40% less than it was when she began.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Keep up with the scandals bacha! The point is that FedEx threatened the government to back out of a deal for 777s in the past to get their way.

So all of a sudden they exercise their option to purchase some more planes right after getting off the hook for nearly the same amount?

I'm not saying they are related. I'm just pointing the tinfoil hat guys around here in the general direction:

Smith wouldn't be able to use Boeing leverage to get out of the drug case. The 777 options from a few years back were contingent on any legislation that would make it easier for employees to unionize. The efforts to make it easier to unionize under the RLA failed, and Smith bought the planes.

Our "for sale" government at work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
His comments also pointed out that FDX had repeatedly asked the DEA for the names of illegal pharmacies so that they could stop dealing with them, and the DEA refused to provide them. Rule 1 of criminal prosecutions: It helps to have a case.

FedEx has more resources than the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT?

I'm sure Fred's connections helped...a lot. Interesting that UPS did the exact same thing and paid a hefty fine.

59 Dano

Remember the little word ......sequestration? Another word for budget cuts. Very few federal departments not impacted. Not to defend Hillary Clinton but the proven fact is that at the time of her departure her state department budget was 40% less than it was when she began.

I hate to break it to you, but the federal government has the resources to prosecute a case against FedEx... assuming that it had a case. They had $40 million that they shook down from UPS.

bacha29

The U.S. Department of Justice has a BUDGET like every other government department or agency and is expected to abide by it. Yes in exceptional cases there will no doubt be extra money available. But like very other federal case the bean counters are watching.

59 Dano

Interesting that UPS did the exact same thing and paid a hefty fine.

That was the "Make it go away" payment that you tend to complain about (unless it's UPS). Remember when this story first broke? I said that FDX would not settle this case under any circumstances. Too big of a precedent at stake. They would have been foolish to settle for even twenty bucks. No way in hell were they going to settle.

59 Dano

The U.S. Department of Justice has a BUDGET like every other government department or agency and is expected to abide by it. Yes in exceptional cases there will no doubt be extra money available. But like very other federal case the bean counters are watching.

Put the shovel down.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Put the shovel down.

FedEx always proclaims it's innocence and says it will "vigorously defend itself in court". I'm not understanding why UPS did it and had to pay-up, and Fred walks.

Nonetheless, we proudly remain America's Drug Airline, both illicit and legal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx always proclaims it's innocence and says it will "vigorously defend itself in court". I'm not understanding why UPS did it and had to pay-up, and Fred walks.

Nonetheless, we proudly remain America's Drug Airline, both illicit and legal.

We didn't "have" to pay up. We made a financial decision to cut our losses by cutting a check.

59 Dano

UPS did it because it was perceived as a cheap and expedient way to make the problem go away. FedEx didn't settle up because doing so could have exposed them to some potentially devastating liability claims.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UPS did it because it was perceived as a cheap and expedient way to make the problem go away. FedEx didn't settle up because doing so could have exposed them to some potentially devastating liability claims.

Oh, so you're saying that FedEx is guilty and fought it so they couldn't be sued downwind of the shatstorm?