Reloading

rushfan

What do you reload?

I've been doing it for 2 years now-thanks to an old friend who lived on my old route. He loaded everything from .17 cal, to .50 BMG and some "exotics" he concocted (as he called them). He was an old army ordinance officer, so he had experience with small arms to nuclear weapons. One he loaded was a .45 cal with a .22 rim fire epoxied onto the .45. I never saw him shoot that, but he said it provided a double report, and double the damage.

The only things I load are 9mm for a Ruger P89, .45 ACP for an XD, .38 spl, .357 mag for a snub nose S&W .357 Mag. and .270 Win. IMHO the 9mm are a waste of time to load for general plinking.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have reload equipment 30-30, 06, 9's, 357, 357 max, 38 sp, 12 ga and 20 ga. Right now everything is stored as we don't have bench space to set it up. As soon as we can clean out the garage and get another bench put up the reload will be brought out again.

brownrod

How much money do you save via reloading?

You probably have to buy a bunch of equipment, huh?

I'd be interested in reloading 7.62x39 if it saves a significant amount of money. Cost about .30$ per round in the store. And about .23$ if you order by the 1000 on the internet.

over9five

Staff member
I've never reloaded. Probably for the same reason I don't brew my own beer.

I can buy it at the store already made!!!

I think I will do both of these when I retire.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've never reloaded. Probably for the same reason I don't brew my own beer.

I can buy it at the store already made!!!

I think I will do both of these when I retire.
Brewing beer is an art form Over. It is alot of work but the rewards are great. As far as reloading, some people just don't have what it takes to reload properly. It takes care to do it right the first time and everytime. :happy2:

rushfan

As I mentioned, I rarely reload for my 9mm, as it takes a lot of time for me. I only have a single stage press-nothing like a Dillon progressive press. IMHO, if your going to shoot something where surplus ammo i.e. 7.62 is plentiful, and for the extra few cents, it would be worth just buying it. It all depends upon how one feels personally about spending time reloading. Some may say, "What a waste of time" while others will disagree.

Same here....the older I get...the longer it takes to reload!!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I'd be interested in reloading 7.62x39 if it saves a significant amount of money. Cost about .30$ per round in the store. And about .23$ if you order by the 1000 on the internet.

I dont reload myself but I know people who do, and they say that 7.62x39 is not cost effective to reload when you factor in the time involved. You might save a penny or two per round at the most, but you have to invest a bunch of $$ up front for new brass since almost all 7.62x39 ammo is steel-cased and cannot be reloaded. I have an AK and an SKS and they chew thru ammo pretty fast so I always order it online by the 1000 rd case.

wkmac

I dont reload myself but I know people who do, and they say that 7.62x39 is not cost effective to reload when you factor in the time involved. You might save a penny or two per round at the most, but you have to invest a bunch of $$ up front for new brass since almost all 7.62x39 ammo is steel-cased and cannot be reloaded. I have an AK and an SKS and they chew thru ammo pretty fast so I always order it online by the 1000 rd case.

brown,

Sober is correct about the russian short and it's been a few years but I remember the round was berdan primed too which makes the problem bigger. I started reloading in the early 70's thanks to the father of a high school friend and I started on a single stroke Lyman (my first and still with me) and RCBS presses, getting a Lyman turret press in the late 70's and then a progressive reloader (Dillion 550) in the 80's. I don't reload anymore as I really don't shoot that much anymore but for certain types of shooting I'd highly reccommend it.

There's lots to say about reloading and it's as much a passion as anything but in the case of the russian short, just stick to buying ammo. You're doing the best thing so stick with it. Happy shooting and be safe.

OH, use extra due diligence in cleaning your weapon as a lot of russian short ammo (at least back in the day) used poor grades of powder that is corrosive to gun barrels. Just an FYI to consider.

brownrod

Great info. Thanks.

I only shoot .22lr, 7.62x39 and 12 gauge shells so reloading wouldnt be time or cost effective for me I think.